You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Two Guys from Andromeda return (and launch Kickstarter campaign)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon View Post
They are THE Two Guys from Andromeda, they need not talk of such game details.
That's a complete nonsense. If they want new fans and new backers, they definitely SHOULD talk about game details. You just cannot say "Hey, I'm a videogame designer from early 90s, been doing nothing for 20 years, but now I want to make a new videogame, so just give me your money."

I mean, Al Lowe's Larry campaign and pitch video was good. His team remade and showed us completed one room (outside Lefty's bar), and even done some character animation. You can clearly see where they are going with it.

Again, Two Guys have exactly NOTHING yet.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #62
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
She's acting..
And terrible acting it was. Terrible lines too. Who are you? I am your wife. She's exited about voicing anything in any game...? Like wow.

Quote:
I also haven't played the original space quest games
I have. All of them. They were Sierra games. That was then, this is now.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #63
Schattenjäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhurgoyf View Post
Again, Two Guys have exactly NOTHING yet.
are you still ignoring the part where they announced theyd be releasing demos periodically during the fundraising?
You mustv hated the doublefine kickstarter. Which gave less than nothing.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #64
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Zane has a point. Double Fine got over three million showing virtually nothing of their game. Of course, they have a pedigree but the same could be said about the Two Guys.

I think this campaign was very well presented. The video was funny enough (and the intro particularly impressive) and at least there's concept art. I believe they're going to make it!
Old 05-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
are you still ignoring the part where they announced theyd be releasing demos periodically during the fundraising?
They should have ready the first demo immediately after the start of campaign if they want to maximize their potential number of backers. Anyway I'm just wondering what it will be - programmed in HTML language? That doesn't sound too good. Would it contain some high res concept background, or just some squiggly lines done in MS paint? I guess we'll see...

And yes, you're right.. I didn't pledge for Double Fine (altough I have quite a big trust in active designers with well-established company, especially if it's Schaffer + Gilbert).
Old 05-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #66
The Space Quest Architect

My friends,

From the iPhone of Chris Pope, sent to my website email address:

"Hi Johnathon,

Glad to see you so excited. Did you by any chance miss the lower area
of the Kickstarter where it mentions for every $100k there will be a
playable demo?

We've already got something together to show everyone.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone"

I thus encourage you to at least check up on the kickstarter for when it reaches $100k, even if you are not willing to pledge at the moment, and you will get what you have been asking for.

Most Respectfully,

Johnathon

P.S. This can be verified by visiting the Kickstarter page
Old 05-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #67

Everyone on the Bandwagon. Me, I'm saving all my money for Tex. For every other game I may or may not buy them when or if they are finished.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #68

I LOVED Space Quest <3 Will be backing this as well. And glad to see there will be lots of horrible ways to die.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #69
More slaw!!!

Space Quest was probably one of my favourite series growing up, but I'm not sure about this project. The incentives don't seem to be that impressive, either. I wish they had waited until Tex Murphy was done, it would seem to make a lot more sense to me; but as it stands I won't be supporting it because all my available money will most likely be going to support Tex.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #70
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Hmm... I call bad form on the $100 Digital and Physical split. They better merge the two tiers, stat.

Also, I really liked the intro, but if I didn't know better I'd think they were doing a Kickstarter for Space Quest VII or a Space Quest I remake, and while the voice cast is impressive, I'm not sure that the cast and rewards should have been the focus of the opening pitch. Yeah, yeah, I know, cue the "but Tim Schafer told us even less!" chorus.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #71

Am I the only one who finds it disturbing that they offer free wallpapers in three entirely outdated resolutions? Shouldn't there be limits to nostalgia?
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 05-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #72
Schattenjäger

Yeah to me, complaints about these pitches not being specific enough sound like: "i wanna see the finished game before the kickstarter starts"
Which is exactly what tim schafer has talked about being a big problem with publishers. Publishers want to see one strip of the finished painting, when the creative process has you painting all over the place to build a vision.

The fact that the space guys are offering a demo at all at this stage goes waay above and beyond the call of duty. (and quite frankly, its risky)
Old 05-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #73
never stops believin'

I pledged.

I'm not really interested in voice actors, which seemed an odd way to sell it. I'm happy reading if the story es bueno.

The video is tons better than that weird teaser one, tho. I'm looking forward to this.

Good luck.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #74

I'm actually going to hold off my pledge until they unveil more details about the actual game - mechanics, style or maybe a synopsis.

I'm confident I'll pledge eventually though.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #75
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Quote:
Yeah to me, complaints about these pitches not being specific enough sound like: "i wanna see the finished game before the kickstarter starts"
Which is exactly what tim schafer has talked about being a big problem with publishers. Publishers want to see one strip of the finished painting, when the creative process has you painting all over the place to build a vision.

The fact that the space guys are offering a demo at all at this stage goes waay above and beyond the call of duty. (and quite frankly, its risky)
Wait, what? It's late and I'm tired, so my reading comprehension isn't as sharp as it could be, but did you really just compare gamers that aren't gushing blindly at every kickstarter that pops up as being as bad as a publisher?

I love the Two guys as much as any other Space Quest fan, but that doesn't change my opinion that they've shared very little about this new IP and have so far done a fairly weak job at pitching it at anyone, adventure gamer or not, that isn't already familiarized with them and Space Quest.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #76
Psychonaut

What worries me about this (Other than the fact that these guys don't have a recent track record) is that the demos are going to be written in HTML5.

So is this game going to end up being a glorified flash game. HTML 5 is fine for browser stuff, but not really great for high end game design.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #77

Quote:
Yeah, people got a bit carried away back then (hey, it was Tim Schafer, he actually made some good games unlik.. snip!). But that was then, and this is now. We've got tons of great Kickstarters to contribute to, with a limited amount of money to spend. And we know more are coming. So people need to be more selective with their cash.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:47 AM   #78

Also Double Fine has been producing many many successful games over the years, and their fan base goes well outside traditional adventure gamers.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:15 AM   #79
Senior *female* member

Double Fine has already given me so much value for my money that even if the game turns out to be bad (I'm not saying it will!) I won't regret my pledge. The hype was wonderful; that pitch video was great; some of the update videos were too; I loved the first episode of the Making Of documentary, looking forward to the next one; I loved the blooper video; there are special forums for backers with fun threads, including the playthroughs; the video with the DF Greg guy showing off the T-shirts was great and I also got to vote on the color of the T-shirts.

It's probably not fair to compare DF to other Kickstarter projects, for more than one reason, but if you want to get people on board you have to make an effort. I've also noticed a trend at KS projects, at least some of the ones I have backed: other backers start criticizing you as soon as you start criticizing the lack of progress of the (funded) project. We're supposed to be supportive all the way, just deliver the money and then shut up, even if the project fails. Interesting.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:37 AM   #80

The main difference between Double Fine and other adventure projects for me is that in the first case we are giving money not only to Schafer and Gilbert, but to a well-established and very cool company, while in other cases it's just those great legends and obscurity