You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure OK ... jane jensen,Jane Jensen !...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
Advie.1

Default OK ... jane jensen,Jane Jensen !...

No doubt that she is one of the GREATEST game designers that showed up in the Adventure's history and what more that is he is still on and active ...

but the point that i never understood The way he is overrated and all those parsings for her,.....because she was part in making the best of KQs Series ,and she made the great trilogy of GK ... so what!, Roberta Williams noy only had made not only KQs games ,Phantasmagoria and Laura Bow series but she is also one of the great designers that without her we wouldn't be having now this scene and these forums talking about the Adventure Scene ... add to her Tim Shaffer, Al Lowe, Jim Walls ....etc

ok someone would think i hate Jane ,..NO i love her as anyone else but i think she is not alone to be praised and remembered.

its nice to target a game for/because of its designer like when you watch a movie because its directed by D.Finsher,M.Scorsese or R.Scott ... which is great and wasnt always the catch before, we had targeted games for their developers , a Nice Rating we catches here or a good Review.

so it all coming to me with all those Kick-starters which makes me think who are the great Adventure Designers in the history on Adventuring .. those who made the difference, those who are reliable and its enough to read their names on a Game to Buy without hesitating.

i guess i brought different subjects here but i was just like writing what i am thinking of spontaneously.

Last edited by Adventurere No.1; 04-07-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #2

chills man, just ignore the thread if that bothers you... Jane's campaign is struggling and in need of help, if the campaign fails maybe she loses the enthusiasm... and you're not helping really

Roberta is great, but she's retired. When she gets back, we'll support her.

The Biggest Adventure of the Past, Present and Future!

Last edited by diego; 04-06-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #3

?

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 04-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #4

Nobody is downgrading those other names or saying to forget them. Jane is still around working on games however, while most of her contemporaries have retired, and with Gray Matter coming out semi-recently and her Kickstarter project naturally people are discussing her more of late.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #5

Don't worry! As soon as this wonderful, precious, out of this world great project(serious all the way) is funded, the same thing will happen with the Tex Murphy thing

But to answer your question: There is not that many great adventure creators left still working. I think Jane, Tim and Ron and the Tex Murphy team are in a league of their own. There is many good writers but those are the legends in my book. And though R Williams made some great games and is a legend, she has quit the business long ago (and her 2-3 last games was not very good in my book)

This is a happy time for us 90' nostalgia freaks
Old 04-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
Schattenjaeger wannabe

Personally I enjoyed all 3 Gabriel Knight games more than any other adventure games I've ever played. I also think King's Quest 6 and Police Quest 3 are the best games in their respective series, and I don't think it's a coincidence that those are the ones she worked on.

So yeah, she gets a ton of respect from me. Roberta Williams is not even in the same stratosphere IMO because I never cared for her other games all that much.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
Advie.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
and you're not helping really
i already did my share at pledging for her and the same for Al
i Love you JANE !!

but why you see it that way diego, i guess on the contrary someone can come up with something smart about her, some kind of an unforgettable moment with her game, something positive ... but i wish this thread would not be taking negatively . that make makes feel bad diego.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #8

I didn't say you're not helping in the way that you didn't pledge or something, but by saying that Jane is overrated now in the middle of the campaign

But ok, i'll go first - Gabriel Knight 2 had a special impact on me. It's a great game because it overcomes "cheesiness" and "B-movie-ness" of a typical FMV trend at a time.

The Biggest Adventure of the Past, Present and Future!
Old 04-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #9

Sadly, I think it is clear that the Willians have no interest in developing games anymore. If they did they wouldn't have sold their company years ago. A local poster sent an e-mail to Ken Willians recently and actually got a reply stating that they really are happilly retired and don't plan on coming back in the near future.

But I do hope the kickstarter fever will eventually bring back some classic devs that have been out of the business or working on the sidelines. Al Lowe did and that is good already. If I understand correctly, Josh Mandel is also involved with the LSL remakes project. Maybe we can ask him to start a Callahan's Crosstime Saloon 2 kickstarter? I'm sure Spider Robinson would be happy to work on another game
Old 04-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #10

If Jensen is overrated, then probably the whole adventure gaming business is overrated. Gabriel Knight was a huge step from one-dimensional plots and characters to complex mature storytelling.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #11

^
^
^
I
I
I

Ditto.

Jensen is far from overrated, even though she has only delivered one game in the last 13 years(it was not her fault). She deserves our money and our expectations from GK1 alone, and if you count her other games your argument becomes even more dim and reasonless.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #12
Advie.1

guys about the Williams they quit when they were on top ... because that simple Q that everybody knows (would you quit when you are on the top or will you go on with a lower standards and destroy every thing you had ever made..)
and gray matter was the less that Jane ever Made ,if her next project would be lesser then i would rather forget about it and keep only those great memories for her.

and also as i said while she is being praised their others too need the same, not less than her.

so please dont not attack me for just telling my opinion i have been playing adventures for more than 27 years and i witnessed the rise and fall of many things along the way,already

Old 04-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #13

She gave an interview in Gamezebo.
I'll post the link if anyone is interested...
http://www.gamezebo.com/news/2012/04...ames-interview
Old 04-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #14

Sorry but this thread is stupid. I'm not sure what the point is other than to complain for the sake of complaining. Was it really necessary to start another Jane thread? What point are you even trying to convey? Your posts don't express many coherent thoughts, and that is not an insult to your english or grammer. The ideas simply don't flow in what you seem to be saying.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Old 04-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #15

Hmm! I do not follow you! You do not like Gray Matter? That is fine. No problem (I thought it was a good game with some flaws. We all tend to forget the flaws in the old games, but believe me they are there)
What I can not understand is your take on RW who quit while on top you say?
Her last game was King's Quest: Mask of Eternity if I am not misstaken?

Are you saying that is a better game than Gray Matter? Everyone to his or hers opinion I guess. No problem, but I do disagree with you.

OK! sorry if I stepped on any toes here. I am a newbie(though old enough) It's late here in Norway, I'm a bit drunk and I love a good argument when I'm drunk
Old 04-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #16

Well, I'm also sorry in advance since I hate to be a not very nice person
in a forum that I truely love for its frĂ*endly people, but I too still dont understand the meaning of the tread starters first post.
Fact: Janes games kicks arse compared to the people and games you mention, and second: Its no bloody competition! Roberta is not even in the gaming buisness anymore and right now, Jane kinda raised from the dead to make several new games and at this moment, I really dont understand why you have to compare her to anyone else.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:00 AM   #17
Advie.1

inm8#2 as you said there are too much threads already concerning J.J ... but here at least i gave you a chance to beat the %$#@ out of me, you should be happy.

so,ok lets praise her from here until the next year ... and put our expectations high above everything. ..and she will surely make an Adventure better than lots of those came lately....
no problem

Old 04-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #18
Advie.1

And Mr.Jack would you please close this thread i don't want it be like any sort of discourage ..
i admit i was mistaken though i said at start i was just writing what i am thinking now.. but on a 2nd thought we are already fighting our way enough to make Adventure Gaming reach its 2nd golden era/age as it was before.
and thoughts like these should be kept to our selves.

Last edited by Adventurere No.1; 04-07-2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:25 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurere No.1 View Post
i was just writing what i am thinking
You don't say
Old 04-07-2012, 01:28 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaneas297 View Post
You don't say