You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New Jane Jensen game and Kickstarter campaign

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #841
Strategy Guide Author

Damn it's so close to 300K. I am pledging $250 and haven't yet but wanted to be the one to put it over the edge
Old 05-06-2012, 12:23 AM   #842
Life and times of...

99 %, exactly 4000 backers! Only 1108$ to go! And now even less, people are raising their sums...

Big bucks today, at 19 backers already over 11 000$ backed. The average has gone up a lot again

(Edit): Less than 1000 left!

Last edited by UPtimist; 05-06-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:44 AM   #843

As I have noted before, I have noticed that most (not all) of the people that complain about Virginia Capers work in GK1 are not American and may not be as familiar with New Orleans. You have to keep in mind that there is no universal Southern Accent. Louisiana in particular has several different accents or dialects, including Creole, which is perfectly appropriate for a story involving Voodoo.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:31 AM   #844

There was a $10k backer tonight. Hopefully they stay true to their pledge, but I think we should aim for ~$325k to be safe. Naturally some backers may not fulfill their pledges. Maybe Jane will contact the 10k backer and make sure that person is serious or something. I'd hate for someone to pull the rug from under the campaign in the last day or two.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 05-06-2012, 01:51 AM   #845
She Wants Revenge

Oh nice, goal reached!

And about the narrator in GK1: the first time I played it I was all "WTF" and turned it off but I was a kid then. Later on I've learned to appreciate different dialects and the narrator among many other voices deemed annoying are actually quite enjoyable.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:13 AM   #846
Filmfreak

We reached the goal!!! First news of the day is very good news indeed!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inm8#2 View Post
There was a $10k backer tonight. Hopefully they stay true to their pledge, but I think we should aim for ~$325k to be safe.
There's still 12 days to go, we'll get a lot more than 325K in the end, imo.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:37 AM   #847

Send a message via AIM to valypan Send a message via MSN to valypan Send a message via Yahoo to valypan

I think an end result of 350k is to be expected at this rate. Now that the project has been funded, I also hope we will see a lot of last-minute backers! Where are you? Come forward!
Old 05-06-2012, 03:30 AM   #848

I hope they put a Paypal option up now - there must be hundreds of Europeans licking their lips to pledge to this.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:31 AM   #849
A.A

Quote:
I think an end result of 350k is to be expected at this rate. Now that the project has been funded, I also hope we will see a lot of last-minute backers! Where are you? Come forward!
I dunno.

Things can- and have previously in the campaign- slow down pretty fast. I mean, hopefully we can get some more press and whatnot in the next few days what with this reaching it's goal, and there being the first scene and T-shirt designs to come out...but let's just wait and see.

It's made it's goal, though, that's the main thing. Was looking a little troubling for a while there...
Old 05-06-2012, 03:31 AM   #850

Send a message via AIM to valypan Send a message via MSN to valypan Send a message via Yahoo to valypan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejobloshow View Post
I hope they put a Paypal option up now - there must be hundreds of Europeans licking their lips to pledge to this.
Europeans can and have pledged as well to the kickstarter campaign so pitch in!. I am from Denmark
Old 05-06-2012, 04:18 AM   #851
She Wants Revenge

GK is leading the DF playthrough thing quite nicely now. 35 to Machinarium's 20.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:48 AM   #852
UnseenUniversity Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by valypan View Post
I'm here! Hehe, I never meant to be last minute, I just couldn't make up my mind how much to give. I've been trying to decide since it started. I was going to get my pledge in by voting time, but accidentally missed it. So I just kept changing my mind. Finally chose $100 thanks to the new big box Jane just spoke of. I'm sure there'll be a lot of backers like me who are just getting around to it now...
Old 05-06-2012, 05:52 AM   #853

I still feel uncomfortable by the low backer count, considering the long-term prospects of Pinkerton Road, but at last we met the goal. I hope it holds though. I refreshed one time and one backer was actually backing out again! Pffsh! And just now the money count was going up, but not the backer count.

Let's just hope that Moebius and Mystery Game X will convince the wider public that Jane Jensen still got it and that she is one of the greatest adventure game designers we got.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:22 AM   #854
Schattenjäger

wooo for a 10k backer who was waiting for near 290k
Old 05-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #855
fov
Rattenmonster

Woo! $300k reached, what a nice surprise to wake up to!
Old 05-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #856

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
As I have noted before, I have noticed that most (not all) of the people that complain about Virginia Capers work in GK1 are not American and may not be as familiar with New Orleans. You have to keep in mind that there is no universal Southern Accent. Louisiana in particular has several different accents or dialects, including Creole, which is perfectly appropriate for a story involving Voodoo.
I am American, but I have not yet been to New Orleans. I'd always assumed the accent the narrator was doing was a totally off-the-wall stereotype. Perhaps I am mistaken. Next time I play, I will try the narrator again.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #857
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
I have no problem with the dialect, she sounds like she's actually from New Orleans and not putting on a show, I have a problem with how she reads her lines. If she had some normal conversational readings in-between the dramatic ones, but when she insists on making every little observation the most dramatic and spooky thing she has ever seen, she just makes me really tired.

I don't understand why "I don't like how she reads her lines" translates to "I have no clue what a New Orleans dialect sounds like and think she's being stereotypical"..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 05-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #858

Going off on a bit of a voice acting tangent. In my opinion, speech hurt adventure games for the most part. In the old days when you were just reading, a lot was left up to your imagination. Reading also engages your mind to a greater extent than listening to voice acting does (unless the voice acting is very well done, which it usually is not).

The main character actors from a couple of specific "classic" '90s comedy adventure game series are so mediocre and bland (as is almost every actor in most games, not just adventure), I can't understand why people say things like "if they revive [X series], they MUST get [X mediocre voice actor] to voice the part again!"

When you're staring at a static screen watching people talk, interesting well-acted voices are vital. That's why, to me, GK1 is the best voiced game I've ever played. Perhaps there are other games with technically "better" acting, but there is so much personality in almost every voice in GK1 that it overrides any possible issues with over-the-top accents.

The only other games where I can say for sure that I truly loved the voice acting were Grand Theft Auto III and Vice City.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #859

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
I don't understand why "I don't like how she reads her lines" translates to "I have no clue what a New Orleans dialect sounds like and think she's being stereotypical"..
You do realize that that what I said was not directed at you, don't you? It was generic response to complaints over the years that many have had over the narration in GK1, usually specifically about the sound/accent of her voice, not the way she delivered her lines.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #860
self-distracted

Send a message via MSN to maladroid

^ I more or less agree with your take on how voice acting doesn't usually benefit adventure games, but I somewhat disagree on the time: I think modern adventure games have more meh performances than the oldies. Of course that could have something to do with the fact that back then adventure games were pretty much the only genre featuring voice acting to that extent so it all sounded kind of exciting while nowadays action/FPSs with huge budgets can afford AA actors and outshine AGs with ease (although good casting, I find, isn't always associated with money).

But beyond that, the classics from the 90s, especially the ones by LucasArts, consistently featured quality voice work. I still can't believe you didn't mention Grim Fandango in the list of games with impressive voice talent throughout; to me it remains one of its most distinctive characteristics - it really helped elevate the experience to a whole new level. I don't remember being at all that impressed with GK 1, even though I love this game as well.

Proud supporter of Tex Murphy - Project Fedora