You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New Jane Jensen game and Kickstarter campaign

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 01:48 AM   #741
Failed Birthday Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by inm8#2 View Post
No remakes or upgrades. Let each game stand on its own to mark the era from which it came. GK1 w/o the pixel hunting of the background isn't GK1, for example.
Quite a few times now there has been no need for me to post in this thread because you have said what I was thinking!

All 3 GK games stand as they are. I replay them a fair bit, every 1-2 years I suppose, but I don't want to wallow in the past to the extent of seeing them re-written or re-made.

Personally (and with respect to subbi) I find the idea of an aditional chapter tacked on to GK2 (a la Broken Sword directors cut) completely unappealing.

Let's move forward and see more brilliant games from JJ, whether in the GK series or otherwise. We should celebrate JJ in the present without the mourning for the past that seems so prevalent. The 90's were great and we can still enjoy the games from there but we should look to the 2010's now for new games rather than trying to retrospectively extend the 90's. [/personal opinion]
Old 05-01-2012, 02:13 AM   #742
A.A

The GK games have such wonderful stories that if a really well-done remake could be made to attract a whole NEW audience to it, then, yep, I'm all for it.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:55 AM   #743

I guess it depends on the original vision. If this chapter was part of it, but was cut only for budgetairy or technical constraints, then why not have it included in a upgraded version?

The same goes for the video and audio quality. Surely to have it compressed to the extend as they did was not part of their artistic vision....they had to deal with technical limitation at the time. Now is a completely different story and you could have a visually much cleaner version of the game and even save considerable disk space....
Old 05-01-2012, 04:17 AM   #744
She Wants Revenge

I'd rather just have new games as the old trilogy is fine as it is - better than fine: it's brilliant. But in no way I want to stop anyone from making good remakes either. I would definitely enjoy the remakes, especially if they had some new content, and they might indeed bring new fans.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:37 AM   #745
Schattenjaeger wannabe

Yeah, the only advantage I see for the remakes is it could be a good way to draw in new fans. Personally I'd much rather see new games. I love all 3 GK games as is.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:15 AM   #746
Schattenjaeger wannabe

By the way, I just watched the video for Banner Saga ( http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stoic/the-banner-saga?play=1&ref=users) and now I have a clearer understanding of just how much the video can have an impact on pledges.

I knew nothing about this game or its creators before watching the video, but after 4 minutes of hearing them talk about how awesome and revolutionary it's going to be I have a strong urge to play this game as soon as possible.

I'm as big of a Jane Jensen fan as a person can possibly be. My 3 favorite games ever are the 3 GK games. And still Jane's video didn't give me this same feeling.

I do hope they put together a video like that for Moebius as soon as they're able to, and replace the main video with it. It could very well be the difference maker for people that aren't familiar with Jane's previous work.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #747

I'm not super-excited about the possibility of remakes. I mean, I get why people have frustrations with GK2 and GK3, so I understand the impulse. But ultimately those games were both designed around their technology as well as their stories. Any remake more complicated than a simple visual update would therefore involve re-designing them...and at that point, why not just make a new game? I could maybe see some slight under-the-hood tweaks to make them play smoothly on newer computers and work well at different resolutions / screen-widths, but anything more than that seems like more work than is worth the effort.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #748

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobotomy42 View Post
I'm not super-excited about the possibility of remakes. I mean, I get why people have frustrations with GK2 and GK3, so I understand the impulse. But ultimately those games were both designed around their technology as well as their stories. Any remake more complicated than a simple visual update would therefore involve re-designing them...and at that point, why not just make a new game? I could maybe see some slight under-the-hood tweaks to make them play smoothly on newer computers and work well at different resolutions / screen-widths, but anything more than that seems like more work than is worth the effort.
Thats just like saying Dark Knight shouldn't be made since it was written long ago. Don't dis it until you're doing it for the right reasons, and by all means, a remake of any of the GK games is for the right reasons....just that they aren't willing to go a certain distance to make it worthy.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 05-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #749
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.A View Post
The GK games have such wonderful stories that if a really well-done remake could be made to attract a whole NEW audience to it, then, yep, I'm all for it.
That's my feeling about it. Look at what LucasArts did with the first two Monkey Island games. It gave those games a whole new life with a new audience (and gave LucasArts a new way to make money off of them with a fairly minimal investment -- which is obviously going to be important to the rights holder and a step in the direction of doing something new with the license). It's not a coincidence that the Secret of Monkey Island remake and new Tales of Monkey Island game came out around the same time, it was a strategic move by LucasArts.

Anyway, back on topic... the campaign hit $250k today! Woohoo!
Old 05-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #750

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbi View Post
- higher quality filmed sequences...they must have filmed it in a better quality than eventually compressed into the game
Quote:
Originally Posted by subbi View Post
I guess the rest could be mostly done by using orginal recordings and artworks?
Except that the source material of the Sierra games no longer exists. They were quite literally thrown into dumpsters when they closed Yosemite. Everything would have to done over.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:08 AM   #751

Mmm, yes. Than there is indeed no point at all in doing a reloaded version.

My point was that it would be cool to get better quality version but always based on the orginal work.....not to do a new style with new artwork!
Old 05-02-2012, 02:18 AM   #752

I'd love to get remakes, and I think it would make perfect sense to develop and release remakes before GK4. Introducing fourth part of the series to new audience who know nothing about GK can be quite difficult.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #753
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by inm8#2
No remakes or upgrades. Let each game stand on its own to mark the era from which it came. GK1 w/o the pixel hunting of the background isn't GK1, for example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Degree
Let's move forward and see more brilliant games from JJ, whether in the GK series or otherwise. We should celebrate JJ in the present without the mourning for the past that seems so prevalent. The 90's were great and we can still enjoy the games from there but we should look to the 2010's now for new games rather than trying to retrospectively extend the 90's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1123
Yeah, the only advantage I see for the remakes is it could be a good way to draw in new fans. Personally I'd much rather see new games. I love all 3 GK games as is.
^ These.

And I STILL have to play the originals...
But look! What new title has appeared in my signature as "Next in line"??? Could it be???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith
Thats just like saying Dark Knight shouldn't be made since it was written long ago.
Wut? How does that analogy even work? You're not even staying within the same medium!
Old 05-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #754
fov
Rattenmonster

Josh Mandel and the LSL team just gave Jane a nice plug in an update. Very cool of them!
Old 05-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #755

Yeah, that was so cool of Josh and Paul. It really helped to, we got a nice bump in the backer count.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #756
Filmfreak

I figured the bump in backing we got was because the LSL campaign had ended. There was a little more to it, apparently...
Old 05-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #757
Lovable rogue

It was nice to see how many people had been leaving comments saying that everyone should go and back Jane now, even before Josh made his update. It makes you feel good about the AG community at large.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 05-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #758
Life and times of...

Wow, compared to recent days there was a real surge of backers today

Even managed to lower the average sum per backer to 70
Old 05-03-2012, 02:22 AM   #759

I just watched this video and got a little worried. It turns out Jane is outsourcing her games in Russia? Not very promising, since the Russian gaming business is in a bad state today. Even more, the developers from Signus Labs specialize on casual and flash games in social networks exclusively. How on earth are they planning to make a fully functional adventure game?
Old 05-03-2012, 04:48 AM   #760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arial Type View Post
I just watched this video and got a little worried. It turns out Jane is outsourcing her games in Russia? Not very promising, since the Russian gaming business is in a bad state today. Even more, the developers from Signus Labs specialize on casual and flash games in social networks exclusively. How on earth are they planning to make a fully functional adventure game?
Yeah, that can be a little bit risky, but Jane seems to trust them and she obviously have had good experiences working with them in the past. Outsourcing is one reason why I think focusing only on Moebius would be the best choice, and not to try create 2 games this year.