You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New Jane Jensen game and Kickstarter campaign

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #581
Schattenjäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzosports View Post
Today was the first day that the Kicktraq projected total dipped under $600K.
kicktraq is slow and incredibly simple, it hasnt taken all of sundays results yet into account (which was a slight incline from saturday)
Anyway, as iv been saying all along, 300k is going to be a fight. And the heart of the battle is about to begin

EDIT: Also, i'd like to supply this simple formula for anyone enamoured with kicktraq, so you dont have to give them traffic and can see their number yourself
Take the total $, divide it by the number of days the project has been going on. Multiply that by the number of days left. And then add that to the current $ total. There, now you have your own highly innacurate number without kicktraq

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
I'm hoping some of that was the "weekend effect." The previous weekend was lower than the week days, too.
absolutely true. But we never bounced back from that weekend drop, though we did completely stabilize all week.

Last edited by zane; 04-16-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #582

I don't know why all the doom and gloom on here. We've stabilized pretty well at about $5k per day, with slight drops on weekends, but we are on track to hit that mark again today. Every day I check in thinking "Okay, today is the day where we're *really* going to drop" but then it never happens. If we maintain momentum for another month (easier said than done, I know!) we should be all set to come in above $300k.

Honestly, I think our odds are better than LSL's.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #583
MoP
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzosports View Post
I really want to see the $600K (I get twice the amount of games if we hit it! ) which also makes me wonder what the motivation would be for someone to get to $50/100 if that level of support isn't getting anymore games than the $25?
I really think the answer here is physical goodies, particularly the BigBox editions. I'm being redundant here, but "1/3 of Double Fines & Wastelands total came from 50$/100$ collector's edition pledges".
The 100$ level mentions "packaged DVD versions", but doesn't exactly specify what kind. And 200$ might be a tad too much... but since there's possibly more than one game involved, I guess that's where the expenses get higher in Pinkerton Roads case.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #584
Psychonaut

So it's Officially Moebius then.

Not surprised.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #586
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobotomy42 View Post
I don't know why all the doom and gloom on here. We've stabilized pretty well at about $5k per day
Agreed. I have my own very simple method to check progress once a day: total dollars still needed divided by the number of days left. The outcome is a little over $4000. A week ago it was a couple of hundred dollars higher, so Jane's project is still doing okay.

Quote:
Honestly, I think our odds are better than LSL's.
Hm, don't know about that. LSL is doing better than before. They now need $10,000 a day for the next 14-15 days, but a week ago it was much higher, about $11,500.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #587

That's the biggest flaw of Kickstarter - it's ALL or NOTHING.

I'm not suggesting Jane or Al will experience it, but sooner or later, there will be campaigns that come a little bit short of the goal and - everything fails. No matter how sturdy your fan base might be, you're "doomed". Imagine a project of a $1 million goal reaching 950 000...

The Biggest Adventure of the Past, Present and Future!

Last edited by diego; 04-16-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #588
Schattenjäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
That's the biggest flaw of Kickstarter - it's ALL or NOTHING.
To my understanding, they can actually choose to accept a lower amount and go ahead with the funding.
In fact, Tim schafer briefly mentions this in the first docu-episode. Saying that they were prepared to still try and do somthing with 300,000 total.

EDIT: yeah the kickstarter faqs says you cant change the goal.. So.. maybe tim was just speaking hypothetically... or its just been misinformation

Last edited by zane; 04-16-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #589
fov
Rattenmonster

Not on Kickstarter. There are other services (like IndieGogo) where you can choose between "all or nothing" funding and taking whatever you raise (but then the crowdfunding site takes a higher cut).
Old 04-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Hm, don't know about that. LSL is doing better than before. They now need $10,000 a day for the next 14-15 days, but a week ago it was much higher, about $11,500.
Yea, LSL will likely make it. It actually needs below $10K a day now.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:15 AM   #591

AG just posted the news of Moebius winning. And it seems like things are picking up with the kickstarter, i.e. a surge of backers and pledges. ^_^
Old 04-17-2012, 03:07 AM   #592
Schattenjäger

^yep, 200 backers gained and still a few hours left in the "day"
Old 04-17-2012, 04:38 AM   #593

I think that the biggest problem with the JJ kickstarter is that it felt a bit like it lacked focus. It was almost a 'give us your money, and then we will see what we can do with it'.

Then again, I had the same problem with the DF one, and, to a point the Wasteland one. None of them have really said "here is a product that we need to complete", they have all been "We have this idea, and we need to develop it on your dime."

I think where this campaign could have separated itself is by choosing ONE product, and building the development campaign around that. By going to her strengths, and saying "This is an Adventure Game in the vein of GK. Here is the concept art. Here is a video of the game working IN an engine...we need $300k to complete this."

Im not a fan of the 'fans vote on the project' aspect for this as a first campaign. That could be a hook down the line...

THAT SAID, I think its doing well. I mean there are still 32 days to go. I hope that the target is met, and surpassed!
Old 04-17-2012, 05:36 AM   #594
Schattenjäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
By going to her strengths, and saying "This is an Adventure Game in the vein of GK. Here is the concept art. Here is a video of the game working IN an engine...we need $300k to complete this."
They need money to get presentable in game footage... which they could do if they had a publisher.. but the whole point of this is to cut the publisher out.
Would it have been a better idea to just choose their own game concept and present it confidently? Possibly. But people still wouldv complained that it wasnt GK. And as jane has said, the point of the voting is to show they plan on making multiple games, this isnt a one-time thing for them, and they want fans to feel involved.
And really, if they had picked their own title and it turned out to be a less popular one, then we'd really be in trouble.

The finish line looks to be about 2000-2400 backers away. We need to average around 70-80 backers per day.

Last edited by zane; 04-17-2012 at 05:54 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:12 AM   #595

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
They need money to get presentable in game footage... which they could do if they had a publisher.. but the whole point of this is to cut the publisher out.
No you don't. I put together presentable footage in a few days with my game, and recently did some mockup screens for a very large production in an afternoon.

You asking for $300 000,00. Thats a LOT of money. Hiring an artist, and putting together some game screen proposals and video proposals seems a small thing in the grand scheme.

My point is that, while I'm sure they have done some development on each project, I think that if they had SHOWN it, the campaign would be even more successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
And really, if they had picked their own title and it turned out to be a less popular one, then we'd really be in trouble.
She is an experienced game designer, with free reign. I would hope that she has a little more faith in her abilities.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:21 AM   #596
Schattenjäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
No you don't. I put together presentable footage in a few days with my game, and recently did some mockup screens for a very large production in an afternoon.
But theyr outsourcing the development. Jane nor pinkerton road is handling the engine. Therefore they wouldv had to get one of their "teams" to do work for somthing (presumably not for free) when they didnt know they were going to be able to fund it. They couldv spent resources at the beginning of this having somebody make trailers and footage for "anglophile adventure" only to find it wasnt a particularly popular idea.
Im sure we'l see somthing more before the kickstarter ends.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #597
fov
Rattenmonster

Jane's going to be revamping the page today to focus it on Moebius. That being said, she is confident about the CSG model (for the long haul) and it was the thing she wanted to announce, not any particular game. Kickstarter is a piece of it but not the whole thing, for her.

But - she's been paying attention to the feedback and got that people were confused about the CSG model and didn't want to put in money without knowing what game they were getting. That's why she moved the vote up, and will now focus the page on Moebius. Still a month to go.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #598

that's a smart move - now that we're here, all attention should be on Moebius (even if it wasn't my favourite). Not "If you want spiritual successor to GK", not "Support and maybe we'll see GK!"... but talk should only be on what is Moebius about.

That said, more game material would probably prove helpful - Double Fine is an "anomaly", but i'm sure The Banner Saga wouldn't have the same impact if it wasn't for the lovely hand-painted scenes and animations.

But it's sort of a "balancing" issue - not only if you show "too much", people might say - "Hey, you already have enough money to make that super-shiny trailer, animations... so why asking of us?", but you can't really show too much if you're still waiting for the funds to go deeper into the production.

The Biggest Adventure of the Past, Present and Future!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #599
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
But it's sort of a "balancing" issue - not only if you show "too much", people might say - "Hey, you already have enough money to make that super-shiny trailer, animations... so why asking of us?", but you can't really show too much if you're still waiting for the funds to go deeper into the production.
It's also a hard balance from a marketing standpoint. It's a story game, and she doesn't want to give away too much of the story way in advance...

But yes, having that stuff (trailers, etc.) sort of assumes that you had the money to make them in the first place.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #600
Failed Birthday Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
that's a smart move - now that we're here, all attention should be on Moebius (even if it wasn't my favourite). Not "If you want spiritual successor to GK", not "Support and maybe we'll see GK!"... but talk should only be on what is Moebius about.
Completely agree with this.

I am as big a GK fan as anyone, GK1 being my favourite game of all time, but I cannot understand some people's view of not being satisfied with anything except GK4. Of course I do want to see GK4 (done PROPERLY) but I also want to see many other brilliant games by Jane Jensen.

Now Jane has the reins we will see what she can do without all the messing around and constraints which came with Gray Matter (a game I still enjoyed regardless).

How good would it be if, in a year or so's time, we were more exited about Moebius 2 than GK4?! (impossible as that may seem!)