You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New Jane Jensen game and Kickstarter campaign

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #561

If we keep hitting $5k per day (about average for this week), we should easily reach $325k. If we dip down to $4k per day...it could start to get dicey.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #562

I voted for Moebius. Admittedly, I'm cheating because I'm privy to a full plot outline to Gray Matter 2 and a more detailed outline of Moebius where the mystery is revealed.

The intro to Gray Matter is way too awesome and creepy, and the story is great. However, Moebius' heart of the story is so freaking original and feels so incredibly fresh that it's hard for me not to be inclined towards it. I'm glad it's leading

And don't worry, Malachi will have his flaws. Jane is best at writing male characters, and Malachi wont be an exception.
www.postudios.com
Old 04-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #563

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarbittar View Post
I voted for Moebius. Admittedly, I'm cheating because I'm privy to a full plot outline to Gray Matter 2 and a more detailed outline of Moebius where the mystery is revealed.

The intro to Gray Matter is way too awesome and creepy, and the story is great. However, Moebius' heart of the story is so freaking original and feels so incredibly fresh that it's hard for me not to be inclined towards it. I'm glad it's leading

And don't worry, Malachi will have his flaws. Jane is best at writing male characters, and Malachi wont be an exception.
I trust that you *are* Cesar Bittar, of Phoenix Online? If so I would I assume there's no reason to think you're fibbing, as you do have a working relationship with Jane on Cognition (hope I'm not terribly mistaken here)

So whether true or not (I would assume it's the *former ), I'm glad we're on the right track, though ideally we'll have all three games.

* Sorry, initially, before editing, it said the latter, but I actually do believe you, so it's the former (true!). *facepalm*

Last edited by TalC2; 04-15-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #564

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobotomy42 View Post
Uh...he was also a reclusive creep who obsessed over his dead wife and had become ostracized from the department where he worked at Oxford. And his personality (at least towards Sam) could best be described as "brusque." So flawless is not exactly how I would describe him.
Being reclusive, depressive and anti-social after great personal tragedy isn't really a "character flaw". Imagine a perfect and idealized fiction character(genius, rich, handsome, good-hearted, etc) that lost the woman he loved. Yup, that is Dr. Styles, and he acts and does exactly the way we would expect an idealized and perfect character would.

Besides, the "Genius who lost his wife and goes to insane lenghts to be with her again" is one of the most well established fiction clichés by now. Styles didn't add anything to that cliché,

P.S: Don't get me wrong, I liked GM and I still think its characters and writing beats most of what is out there in the gaming genre. I suppose it is just not on the level with the rest of Jane's work.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #565

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalC2 View Post
though ideally we'll have all three games.
I don't know. As as a huge fan of Jane's games who wants to see this succeed, I hope Anglophile gets cut down. It doesn't really sound bad, but you can see most people reject its concept and looking at several threads in other forums there are actually people who haven't pledged yet out of fear that it would be the project they would be backing.

I guess many male fans would reject it somewhat, and even though it is not a guaranteed flop, it would probably do worse commercially than GM2 or Moebius. If it does get done though, I hope I'm wrong.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banter View Post
I don't know. As as a huge fan of Jane's games who wants to see this succeed, I hope Anglophile gets cut down. It doesn't really sound bad, but you can see most people reject its concept and looking at several threads in other forums there are actually people who haven't pledged yet out of fear that it would be the project they would be backing.

I guess many male fans would reject it somewhat, and even though it is not a guaranteed flop, it would probably do worse commercially than GM2 or Moebius. If it does get done though, I hope I'm wrong.
Interesting, because once the pdf was released to the backers a lot of people changed their minds about Anglophile, to the better. Because it does sound good, actually; so what if it's different? I voted Moebius but I can understand reservations some express about it (ffs, he's even of German heritage!) - in short that it's "sameish", while Anglophile is something totally different...Like a King's Quest (one installment of which, KQVI, Jane was a major part of) for adults only.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #567
fov
Rattenmonster

Anglophile does have a King's Quest VI vibe, and that's one of my all time favorite games. I love Jane's dark mysteries but thinking of it as a spiritual successor to KQ6 was one of the reasons I went with it.

Also in a way it of reminds me of the romantic subplots in the Monkey Island games... and those games certainly aren't a turn-off to men...!
Old 04-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #568
Schattenjäger

^my initial turn-off to it was that everything reminded me of a casual game. "anglophile adventures" sounds like a casual series (maybe its putting adventure in the title). Its a little like titling a game "murder mystery". The concept art reminded me of a "find the object" game. But the pdf suitably convinced me it would be a fine adventure, but that first impression image might be what people voted on.
EDIT: really heres the test i would use for the title: Does "english adventure" sound like a good game title? No? Then neither does anglophile

Last edited by zane; 04-15-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #569
fov
Rattenmonster

I think it's just a temporary title (but even so - first impressions are important!). Anyway, I totally get what you're saying. A lot of people seemed surprised that they liked it after hearing more about it.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #570

So to the people that have been following this doe sit look to you like it is going to make the $300 000 minimum mark? Hope so! Also the Anglophile Adventure game seems interesting but I doubt it will top the poll!
Old 04-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #571
Schattenjäger

OhHH, they should definitely put (working title) next to it!!

EDIT: just noticed they did put (working title) next to it in the pdf Still might not be a bad idea to put it other places too.

Last edited by zane; 04-15-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #572
fov
Rattenmonster

Kickstarter's home page has Pinkerton Road as their Project of the Day!

Hopefully that front page exposure helps a bit.
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #573

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
Unfortunately when Jane did that interview, she wasn't able to talk about the new studio yet! But the coincidental timing was great, anyway.
Hey, at least it made me smile at work....damn I want to work for the Pinkertons.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 04-16-2012, 03:15 AM   #574

Moebius is officially the winner. I am curious to see how that will affect pledging.

The following video updates seem very promising as well. I have to admit I was way more reluctant at first, but so far Jane seems to manage the whole thing in a very effective way (very non-Gray Matter wise). I really hope people will pledge more it begins to appear she really deserves it.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:39 AM   #575
More slaw!!!

Wished I had of pledged so I could have voted for this Anglophile game (hate this working title though, sounds terrible) as it sounds and looks the most interesting.

I haven't played Gray Matter yet, so I better get onto it.

I am going to go and pledge $16, just to support Jane. I need to save the rest of my money for Tex, sorry Jane and fans.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #576
Filmfreak

Making the front page as "project of the day" should boost the numbers. I think it did for Al Lowe too.

Having said that, I'm also convinced all three games will get made eventually. Maybe two in this cycle, or even only one, but all three will see the light of day sooner or later.

And that's a GREAT thing!
Old 04-16-2012, 07:55 AM   #577
MoP
Comfortably Numb

There's a Q&A with Jane on gog.com:
Quote:
Whatever questions you want to ask, now is the time to do so! We’ll select 6 questions to send to Jane along with a few of our own, and the authors of the selected questions will be rewarded with any free classic $5.99 or $9.99 GOG game of their choice. You can submit as many questions as you want until Wednesday, April 18 at 11:59 p.m. EDT.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #578
never stops believin'

Today was the first day that the Kicktraq projected total dipped under $600K.

I wish I didn't take that so hard. It's been a really, really tough weekend for Pinkerton. I'm hoping that's because people were waiting for the vote to finish.

I also hope we can get a video with concept art, and maybe even clips from previous Jensen games to drum up support - I'm hoping this might help the "inclined to help an adventure game out but not familiar with Jane Jensen" crowd out.

The thing is kickstarter is new territory for all of us. It's inbetween PR/Marketing and Development, so it's hard to know which is the right tack.

I ask myself why did I support certain projects - and one which I supported that I didn't know anything about the designers - was based on their limited concept and the ability to explain how the game was played.

I'm just thinking out loud. I really want to see the $600K (I get twice the amount of games if we hit it! ) which also makes me wonder what the motivation would be for someone to get to $50/100 if that level of support isn't getting anymore games than the $25?
Old 04-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #579
fov
Rattenmonster

I'm hoping some of that was the "weekend effect." The previous weekend was lower than the week days, too.

We sent out a media alert this morning announcing Moebius so that should generate some new interest. (It's already been picked up by Gamasutra, WorthPlaying, Indie Game Magazine, Rock Paper Shotgun, and Eurogamer!) Jane also has several big interviews lined up for this week with international and US websites. And she's planning to rework the Kickstarter page tomorrow to trim the fat, focus on Moebius, and add some new reward goodies. (She's on a business trip or it would have been done sooner - not enough hours in the day!)

Anyway - I'm optimistic that this will be a good week.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #580

I think this morning (actually its evening in where i live) has been quite good.

Last 1h45min 18 new backers. Not bad. Let´s hope this pace will continue.