You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New Jane Jensen game and Kickstarter campaign

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #381

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
On the PR side, we have reached out to a lot of sites personally (including RPS) - some have coverage in the works, some we're still talking to, and some we haven't heard back from yet (but that doesn't mean we won't). I look at this as an ongoing process - and since the campaign has 40+ days to go, it's really okay with me if coverage rolls out over time.

Of course, you guys can send tips to any sites you want (and it's awesome that people want to do that!). But please don't go "bitching" at anyone. Sometimes sites choose not to cover certain things for certain reasons, and coming across like you're making demands won't necessarily end well.

Just my $0.02, as someone who as worked on both sides of the fence.

EDIT: There have been a bunch more great articles since I posted that list on Thursday. I can post more links later if people are interested.

EDIT2: Oh, and people are welcome to PM me if you want to talk more about this. I'd rather not derail this thread with PR specifics.
Oh that would have been very light bitching. RPS is my favorite gaming site, and I have a good response from in different matters. It would just be a shame if they write 10-15 articles about the Wasteland kickstarter, and then none about this.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #382

I think I was around 15 when I bought my first Jane Jensen game, Gabriel Knight 3. I had been a fan of LucasArts adventures for a while, but I had never played a Sierra game in my life. I knew nothing about the GK series, but when I saw the cover of some BestBuy re-release or so, I recalled reading a review of the game in one of my country's gaming magazines. And since it was really cheap, I decided to buy it.

I wasn't initially taken in by the game. I didn't like the graphics very much and Tim Curry's voice grated on my nerves. But I kept playing, and it didn't take long before the story had completely won me over. I had never experienced anything like that in a game; the story was so rich and full of details, and I greatly enjoyed the "who-dunnit" atmosphere with the hotel guests.

When I was done with the game, I immediately wanted to buy the first two, but it took me a couple of years before I was able to. At the time, I was still underage, living in the middle of nowhere in Finland and had no means to buy anything at foreign online stores. It took me about two years' worth of dedicated waiting until I was able to acquire a copy of the collector's edition box (minus the soundtrack) on a Finnish auction site. I had to buy it in secret from my parents because they didn't want me spending that much money on games.

After that I had to fight a long battle to get the games, especially the first one, to work. This was my first exposure to DOSBox, though later dad brought me one of our old PCs that was better at running the games.

I love every game in the Gabriel Knight series so much that it's very difficult for me to pick a favourite. Each of them has something unique. I love the narrator of the first game and wish they would have kept that element in the later games. I love the setting and history in the second game. I love how complex and full of details the third one is. Jensen is utterly fantastic at combining real history with great, compelling stories.

Sadly, I haven't yet played Gray Matter because these days I'm so distracted that I barely have the time to play computer games anymore, but the news of the Kickstarter project has got me so hyped up that I'm sure I'll get the game soon. And naturally, I've pledged to the project. I really hope something great will come out of it.

In the meantime, I guess I'll replay all the GK games. I bought them at GOG a year or two ago, but I never got to even starting any of them.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #383

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
On the PR side, we have reached out to a lot of sites personally (including RPS) - some have coverage in the works, some we're still talking to, and some we haven't heard back from yet (but that doesn't mean we won't). I look at this as an ongoing process - and since the campaign has 40+ days to go, it's really okay with me if coverage rolls out over time.

Of course, you guys can send tips to any sites you want (and it's awesome that people want to do that!). But please don't go "bitching" at anyone. Sometimes sites choose not to cover certain things for certain reasons, and coming across like you're making demands won't necessarily end well.

Just my $0.02, as someone who as worked on both sides of the fence.

EDIT: There have been a bunch more great articles since I posted that list on Thursday. I can post more links later if people are interested.

EDIT2: Oh, and people are welcome to PM me if you want to talk more about this. I'd rather not derail this thread with PR specifics.
It looks like the kickstarter is going quite well and I think it will reach 300 000$, however, 600 000$ is going to be tough. One smart thing that Tim Schafer have said in an interview about a kickstarter is that each campaign need a have a good story with it to be successful and standout. In their case it was the documentary, and I have read tons of comments who donated solely for the documentary. A good example of this was the kickstarter for the "hardcore tactile shooter" which didn't have a proper name at first and a very generic video. Their funding also had problems in the beginning and it looked like it was going to fail, but once they changed the video and explained their project better the funding for the project soared and succeeded. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ooter/comments. To me Jane's project has a bit of the same problems. Many have already pointed out the things that could be improved. And voting on the game next week is a good idea, because, the project felt a coherent and focused when there were three games to choose from.

As for the news of the project it is good to see more sites write about the project. From what I know personally know adventure games are quite popular here in Sweden. And looking at the backer forums over at double fine Swedes are in the top when looking at visitors from Europe. Therefore, I think it would be great to get some exposure in Swedish media, and the biggest game magazine in the Nordic countries and in Sweden is called Gamereactor, and from what I can see they have published a story. http://www.gamereactor.eu/?sid=74b35...3500a806f02ec9. But I think an interview would be a great idea.

Lastly a question for fov: Are you helping out Jane with the PR for the project?
Old 04-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #384
fov
Rattenmonster

Yes, I'm helping with her PR. (Sorry, that was mentioned about fifteen pages ago. ) Thanks for the tip.

Here are some more recent articles:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/...riel-knight-4/ (includes an interview)
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...Studio-Concept
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/07/ga...inkerton-road/
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1...new_studio.php
http://www.destructoid.com/kickstart...d-225372.phtml (includes an interview)
http://venturebeat.com/2012/04/06/ki...ter-campaigns/
http://www.develop-online.net/news/4...ing-new-studio
http://www.ausgamers.com/news/read/3196420
http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/63...Pinkerton-Road
http://worthplaying.com/article/2012/4/6/news/85723/
http://www.gamershell.com/news_136086.html
http://www.indiegamemag.com/jane-jen...ported-gaming/

This doesn't include international, there have been many more non-English articles as well.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #385
Senior *female* member

All those articles... the PR to game sites... the Al Lowe video, the Tim Schafer tweet.. the passionate fan pleas... and still only 1330 backers.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #386

This will have over 1/3 of required funds by the end of the first week. I think fears of this not making it to 300k are unfounded. I really wish this gets 600k though, and for that to happen the pledging can't drop too much till the end. Either that or we need a boost.

Last edited by Banter; 04-07-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #387

Video update!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1005365109/jane-jensens-pinkerton-road-2012-2013-csg/posts/203885

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 04-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #388
Schattenjäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banter View Post
This will have over 1/3 of required funds by the end of the first week. I think fears of this not making it to 300k are unfounded.
300k wont be easy at all, because this isnt like a coffee shop. Unless we get more celebrity coverage we'l probably be down to about 50 backers per day in a week (or less). And we've got to get to at least 6000 backers to hit 300k.
(unless all the highest tiers sell out, but im not holding my breath)
Old 04-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #389
never stops believin'

After the vote next weekend, with an actual game to promote, expect a surge.

Enough? I don't know - but with over 40! days to go, I'm more optimistic than I was.

600k is unlikely. My guess? It ends at $343,242.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:56 PM   #390
Schattenjaeger wannabe

Jane talks about the possibility of GK4 in the Destructoid interview.

Quote:
"I’ve tried that [to get access to the IP] a number of times over the years. I have several pretty developed pitches that I’d taken to them at one time or another. Sometimes it just depends who is actually sitting in the licensor chair at any given moment and I’ve never caught that right moment, when it’s the right person sitting in the chair. So I think from my most recent discussions with them... they’re going to want to see we’re established and we’ve shipped a product. So I think there’s a good chance of that happening maybe next year."

That sounds pretty damn promising ... If this one works out, maybe next year they go for a full fledged GK4 kickstarter campaign?
Old 04-07-2012, 11:57 PM   #391
Life and times of...

The best thing in this update, in my opinion, is that they said that even if they don't get the 600k they still might do the second game if they get enough outside funding.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:02 AM   #392

I wish this was true!

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/100...2012-2013-csg/
Old 04-08-2012, 05:45 AM   #393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Starting a new community playthrough of games that have already had a community playthrough, with the sole purpose of promoting a kickstarter campaign, is crossing a line.
i hope you know me better than that - I'm being selfish for the community playthrough reasons, not the kickstarter campaign ones: i wanted to use the momentum to play one of Jane's game, for a more successful playthrough. And that's only the starting cause - the real one is that i would play those games ANYWAY, so why not in a community playthrough with the people i'm spending last 5 years with. And i can't forgive myself for not joining those GK playthroughs, so maybe there're more people like me, it's not really written in stone not to repeat playthroughs But i agree something else would be more suitable.

The Biggest Adventure of the Past, Present and Future!

Last edited by diego; 04-08-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:11 AM   #394
Senior *female* member

Yeah, you're right, Diego. I take everything back.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #395
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Oh yes, it is. Ever heard of spamming?
Starting a new community playthrough of games that have already had a community playthrough, with the sole purpose of promoting a kickstarter campaign, is crossing a line.
Scratch me wanting a GK community playthrough, then. I didn't know there'd been one before.
Has there been one for KQ6, though???

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
easy solution: if you want to do such a thing leave no question about what its for. Call it the "fundraising playthrough" thread. Or use a real time chat. Just use a different format from what the non-fundraising playthroughs use.
Right, because a community playthrough on this forum would get a lot of new people to back Jensen's project. Are you serious? A community playthrough of a Jane Jensen game NOW would still be something fun to do for the Jensen fans. Nothing more.
Having a community playthrough with an ulterior motive is seriously overestimating the impact of a community playthrough.

Quote:
It stopped this from being a totally horrible day (added 60-ish backers in the first hour after tims tweet).
I thought it was going well? Every time I check, there's a decent amount of new backers with new money coming in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1123 View Post
You guys think it will get to 600k? I really don't have much doubt that it'll reach 300k, but two games in one cycle would be awesome.
I consider 600k to be the goal of this Kickstarter. And I'm cautiously optimistic for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzosports View Post
This is exactly why I'm optimistic about the 600k goal.
There's still a LOT of days to go, and the campaign is gaining clarity with each passing day.
Having an actual SINGLE game to promote will attract a lot of people who were on the fence before. And knowing what the second game would be will have a similar effect for the 50$ tier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
The best thing in this update, in my opinion, is that they said that even if they don't get the 600k they still might do the second game if they get enough outside funding.
^ This.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #396
She Wants Revenge

I would be up for Gray Matter of KQ6 playthrough, I recently replayed the GK trilogy and rather let the dust settle a bit again before another replay.

I also consider the "actual aim" to be 600k and I think it is a possible goal but not given. I am very happy about the news considering the second game, I really am very excited about all of the three concepts and would want to get them as soon as possible.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #397
Schattenjäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
Right, because a community playthrough on this forum would get a lot of new people to back Jensen's project. Are you serious?
You missed my point. I didnt suggest that because i thought a playthrough is going to generate alot of backers, its because some people mentioned concerns of conflict of interest. So the best way to solve that is just to be transparent and say "yes, we are doing this because of the kickstarter, and yes we are doing it for fun."

backer gains report by 24 hours:
day 1 ~ 520
day 2 ~ 350
day 3 ~ 350
day 4 ~ 180

forecast: if we can stay above 100 for the next week we'l be extremely lucky. Day 3 was almost exactly the same rate of day 4 (until schafer tweeted on day 3). Also magic number for backers is about 4500 more. (so saying we're 1/3 done would be a little deceptive)

EDIT: cheers for 100k milestone

Last edited by zane; 04-08-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #398

Quote:
"I’ve tried that [to get access to the IP] a number of times over the years. I have several pretty developed pitches that I’d taken to them at one time or another. Sometimes it just depends who is actually sitting in the licensor chair at any given moment and I’ve never caught that right moment, when it’s the right person sitting in the chair. So I think from my most recent discussions with them... they’re going to want to see we’re established and we’ve shipped a product. So I think there’s a good chance of that happening maybe next year."
That sucks. If I get it right it is pretty much the same situation Al Lowe found himself in. Funny thing though, lately a lot of big companies have been throwing their big franchises at the hands of new and upcoming developers. The two last Silent Hills have been developed by unkown studios, for instance. It must be bad luck that activision is so demanding about titles that have been dormant for so long.

I don't get the suits, these people CREATED these series in the first place... why ask them to prove they can ship a product if you are sitting on their work to begin with?

I can only imagine the monty pythonesque exchange:

Jane Jensen: I want to make a fourth Gabriel Knight game
Activision executive: Okay Jane, but in order to do that you need to prove you can make a game.
Jane Jensen: Well, I created the series and developed all 3 games in it.
Activision executive: Erm... sorry. You will have to try a little harder than that.

Last edited by Banter; 04-08-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #399
Schattenjäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzosports View Post
It will be interesting to see what sort of boost we get.... but guess what the creators see now that i dont think they saw initially?
They cannot declare one victor, if they did then things like this would happen: gray matter 2 wins by a few % points, and all the GM haters would get bitter and some of them would pull their money out. Completely offsetting any "vote boost".
So they will pretend that its feasible to make two full length games in a year with 300k, when its been confirmed they are outsourcing development.
I have absolute faith that we will see good finished products from this project (IF it is funded). But lets be ready for the long haul
Old 04-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #400

Quote:
They cannot declare one victor, if they did then things like this would happen: gray matter 2 wins by a few % points, and all the GM haters would get bitter and some of them would pull their money out. Completely offsetting any "vote boost".
I'm very skeptical of this. In general, when fundraising, once people agree to give you money, they don't back down. That's why, once they agree, you immediately say "$20 is great! But can you give us $100?" This is a standard negotiating tactic. Usually, they say no, and you drop it and accept the $20. Occasionally, they agree and get some extra cash. Very very rarely, they get offended and rescind their initial offer. Obviously, online pledges are a little bit different from face-to-face interactions (more anonymity, less fear of contradicting yourself,) but in general once people commit to spending money they already regard that money as lost and don't try to take it back. More likely they will just grumble in the forums/comments.

Also: do you really think that many people are truly set on a certain pitch? My impression is that most people are responding to the Jane Jensen and Gabriel Knight name brand. The pitches aren't even fleshed out at this point, so it's a bit early for someone to be disappointed that their favorite one got "canceled!"