You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New Jane Jensen game and Kickstarter campaign

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #341

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers is my favorite adventure game ever and I would easily make a case for it being *the* best adventure game ever. I was a young teen when I played it and it really got me from the begginning to the end. The characters had true charisma and the historical and religious themes struck a chord with my traditional catholic upbringing. It was a game for me.

More than anything though, the story was so very well woven and the game design was so masterful that the game kept you playing it eagerly until the end. All of Jane's other games have those qualities in a way, even though none is so dear to me as GK1.

GK1 was also probably the very first serious attempt at making an adventure game in the form of a thriller. It was dark and mature without being heavy, and it had good humour without ever becoming too cheesy. It was just like any good graphic novel or pulp book. It is much more influential than people give it credit for and it hasn't been topped by anything that came after it.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #342
Schattenjaeger wannabe

I really want it to get to 600k.

I don't just want one of the games, I want two, dammit! (Yes, I'm greedy)
Old 04-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #343

This part in the Kickstarter page made me a little sad:

Quote:
It helps that we will not be reinventing the wheel (as we did in GK2 with FMV and GK3 with real time 3D) and that we will have control over the process with a team we've worked with in the past (unlike Gray Matter, for example).
I loved Gray Matter but I followed the development process closely for those few years. It sounds like Jane wasn't totally happy with the final product, understandably given the trouble she went through. But I really do feel that Gray Matter was a very good, if not great, wholly enjoyable game.

That's why I'm leaning toward Gray Matter 2 for the first game to be completed. I think Jane is eager to continue that story and perhaps show people how she might have done things differently with more control, resources, and support on the first Gray Matter (while I still say the game is quite good on its own).

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 04-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #344

I have an idea - since we're having already 3 threads on Jane , how about a community playthrough which longs for a new task with of one of Jane's game? KQ6? Kuru?

The Biggest Adventure of the Past, Present and Future!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #345
She Wants Revenge

I really do wish they'd get like trillion dollars so Jane could do every game concept she has in her head but given the dull reality I'm quite happy with the steady backers we have now.

I would be quite happy to get the (probably most anticipated) Moebius and the sequel to Gray Matter (which wasn't perfect but it was very very very good still) and sometime later the curiosity type Anglophile adventure. I have to say that I will be very disappointed to miss any of these projects and personally it is quite hard for me to grasp the idea of some people hesitating their donations because they don't know which game is going to be the first. Who cares, they're all going to be great.

I wish I knew more people and could sell this project more, I never experienced as profound, interesting and moving storylines in games as I did in Gabriel Knight trilogy. And I would be happy with these projects even if GK4 never came.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #346
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
I have an idea - since we're having already 3 threads on Jane , how about a community playthrough which longs for a new task with of one of Jane's game? KQ6? Kuru?
That would be fun! Especially if we could entice Jane to join us.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #347

Yes, that would be something Or even "rebooting" GK playthroughs for the sake of using the momentum. Especially because i'm still to play the third one

The Biggest Adventure of the Past, Present and Future!
Old 04-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #348
Filmfreak

I'm all for a KQ6 or any GK community playthrough!
I had planned on playing them in the next couple of months anyway, so it would be very convenient...
Old 04-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #349
fov
Rattenmonster

Was there a GK3 playthrough? I started replaying it after I finished Gray Matter... but never got very far. Anyway, I'd be up for that.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #350

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
I think that's a great idea, but don't look at me. This April is going to be a busy month for me (I'll be away from home for half of it), so I won't have time to take part in a community playthrough, let alone lead one. Try to get fov to do it.

(And if I did have time, I'd say Gray Matter would be more interesting; then again, that's probably because I know I need to replay it. That and the fact that I was listening to the soundtrack the other night and I've had the songs stuck in my head for two days!)
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 04-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #351
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
Try to get fov to do it.
*tiptoes out of the room*

I can't commit to running one. I could barely commit to participating all the way through.

BUT - I also would be up for a replay of Gray Matter. So if there are any other volunteers, I'm in.

(Also - I'll move these posts to their own thread if a consensus is reached. Don't want to start another JJ thread unless we're sure something's going to come of this.)
Old 04-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #352

Wow! Terabin, That is exactly the way I feel about Jane Jensen. On the dot!!
Very eloquent put indeed! No need to say anything more
Old 04-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #353

I'm a newbie to this forum, what does a community playthrough work like?
Old 04-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #354
Senior *female* member

Andrea ("where are they now...") did a great job with the three GK playthroughs. Starting another one just to promote JJ's kickstarter campaign doesn't feel right to me at all. This is one of the downsides of Kickstarter... dedicated fans are trying to convince others to donate to their cause. This whole thing is turning into something I don't like. It's nobody's business what games people want to spend their money on.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #355
Schattenjäger

^to me its pretty much like fan petitions, except these have a tangible effect. A part of being a "dedicated" fan is being willing to spend time telling others about your experience. It would be nice if $$$ werent a part of game production... but it is how it is.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #356

Funny thing, I never played Wasteland in my life, but I ended up pledging to Wasteland 2 because I enjoyed the old fallout games and because the old wasteland game sounds absurdly cool. These kickstarters actually bring these games to public attention and bring "outside" interest from people who will know find out about them. In this thread alone there are many backers who claim they never played Jensen's games.

I agree that a playthrough is somewhat unnecessary though, anyone googling will come across the glowing reviews and the youtube playthroughs of her games.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #357
Schattenjaeger wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Andrea ("where are they now...") did a great job with the three GK playthroughs. Starting another one just to promote JJ's kickstarter campaign doesn't feel right to me at all. This is one of the downsides of Kickstarter... dedicated fans are trying to convince others to donate to their cause. This whole thing is turning into something I don't like. It's nobody's business what games people want to spend their money on.
It's also nobody's business what other people promote.

For the most part I think people are trying to spread the word to people that would be interested in contributing to this project, but they don't know about it yet. I don't think anyone is trying to force someone that's not interested to donate.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #358
Schattenjaeger wannabe

Double Fine Adventure - average pledge = $38.29
Pinkerton Road - average pledge = $74.92

It's still early and things could even out, but that's interesting to me.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #359
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1123 View Post
It's also nobody's business what other people promote.
Oh yes, it is. Ever heard of spamming?
Starting a new community playthrough of games that have already had a community playthrough, with the sole purpose of promoting a kickstarter campaign, is crossing a line.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #360
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1123 View Post
Double Fine Adventure - average pledge = $38.29
Pinkerton Road - average pledge = $74.92

It's still early and things could even out, but that's interesting to me.
What's interesting about it, is that the dedicated fan base is doing the funding. That's not good.