You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New Jane Jensen game and Kickstarter campaign

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #201
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banter View Post
Jaesun, you are openly a raving homossexual and you don't care much for Anglophile, right? I know I shouldn't ask this of you, but tell others to man up and vote for Moebius. :lol:
There is a poll about gender and age of backers for the Double Fine Adventure over at their forum. Females are really in the minority there (the word "sausage fest" came up). Jensens games will most likely have a slightly different demographic with more female backers. I personally think that is great but once again, each to their own.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #202
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by inm8#2 View Post
I hope this kickstarter is a big stepping stone toward Jane acquiring the GK rights.

I'm not well versed in the legality of publishing rights or whatever rights they are called, but Activision confuses me. They own the rights to a certain franchise which hasn't been tapped in 13 years. They have no plans to do anything with it. So, why hold on? Why not sell off the rights to someone who will take care of the franchise while you stick to making your Call of Duty games?

Just doesn't make sense other than holding onto a lottery ticket you never plan on cashing.
They want a lot of money off it. Either a big offer or then hold on until one comes along or they decide to use it themselves.

Activision is a corporation, plain and simple. All about making money, and a small offer just won't make them care.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by inm8#2 View Post
I hope this kickstarter is a big stepping stone toward Jane acquiring the GK rights.

I'm not well versed in the legality of publishing rights or whatever rights they are called, but Activision confuses me. They own the rights to a certain franchise which hasn't been tapped in 13 years. They have no plans to do anything with it. So, why hold on? Why not sell off the rights to someone who will take care of the franchise while you stick to making your Call of Duty games?

Just doesn't make sense other than holding onto a lottery ticket you never plan on cashing.
They agreed to license King's Quest to Telltale, so they're not entirely against doing anything with their old Sierra properties. But even just starting negotiations has a cost to them: they need to figure out exactly what the property is (what trademarks, how many games, tie-in novels, etc.), they need to establish how much money they're currently making off it (by selling the games on GOG, etc.), see if they couldn't have a motivation to revive the series themselves now or in the future, see if they couldn't get a better offer from someone else, see if someone releasing new GK games wouldn't risk competing with their own games, and, based on all these considerations, decide if they want to sell and what price they want to put on it.

Just doing that means diverting lawyers, marketing people and executives from what they should normally be doing to examine those questions, and therefore has a cost. If the person asking about the rights is just an individual who's likely to just end up saying "sorry, that's too expensive for me", I completely understand why they wouldn't be willing to even start looking into it. If it's a reasonably-successful company, however, then I guess they might be more willing to study the offer.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 04-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
They agreed to license King's Quest to Telltale, so they're not entirely against doing anything with their old Sierra properties.
Yeap, but it's not that simple - remember that LucasArts "borrowed" rights to Telltale for Monkey Island, rather then selling it, and Telltale is not going to public with the details on their King's Quest acquisition, which might be the same story.

Also, it's not really clear which Sierra franchises are actually owned by Activision. Couple of them were sold even before Activision, with Vivendi, like Larry. Gold Rush is owned by the original designers, not Activision. Gabriel Knight is on the GOG, which probably means it's still with Activision, but Quest for Glory is not. There's a rumor concerning dispute over the franchise, which would also mean that there might be some franchises where it's not really clear who holds the rights, which could make the situation over acquiring rights even more harder.

And let's not forget that Silver Lining guys had to go to discuss legal rights two times - with Vivendi, and later with Activision. So King's Quest franchise was actually a "good sell" since there was already strong fan-made material.

The Biggest Adventure of the Past, Present and Future!

Last edited by diego; 04-04-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #205
Detective

Expected to go faster. It will probably hit the mark in time but it's not going to be on the level of double fine. *refresh* *refresh* lol
Old 04-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #206
Schattenjäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelGordon View Post
Expected to go faster. It will probably hit the mark in time but it's not going to be on the level of double fine. *refresh* *refresh* lol
i dont want to be gloomy but... the BPH (backers per hour) has declined all day
we need a turn-around.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
Also, it's not really clear which Sierra franchises are actually owned by Activision.
It's not that hard to look up:

http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/index.jsp

Word Mark GABRIEL KNIGHT
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Computer game software and instruction manuals sold therewith. FIRST USE: 19931124. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19931124
(LAST LISTED OWNER) ACTIVISION PUBLISHING, INC. CORPORATION DELAWARE 3100 OCEAN PARK BOULEVARD SANTA MONICA CALIFORNIA 90405

Activision owns the Gabriel Knight trademark for video games.

Granted it would be better if Jane Jenson was the owner.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #208

Jane has already answered the question: What if Kickstarter fails? in Gamespot interview:

"Well I put a sack over my head, and I hide in the bathroom for three months [laughs]. If it doesn't work out, then we will probably be talking to some angel investors, and proceed anyway. Hopefully we can show everybody what we can do."

Even though i'm against some of the Kickstarter principles, i've pledged simply because it's the least i can do when the author of some of mine favourite games ever is asking for it. But now, the obvious question is what happens when the campaign doesn't reach its goal? We already have Delaware 4 and Sherlock Holmes, which as it seems, unfortunately won't reach the goal. And it will be harder for any next campaign simply because there will be more and more of it. I'm not implying that Jane's won't "succeed", and it probably needs more press coverage in next few days (also, i believe majority of Kickstarters used the "boost" trick with acquiring more money right at the beginning for strategic advertising reasons, while here it wasn't the case), but Kickstarter is overshadowing other issues - Jane Jensen has founded an independent studio to produce new adventure games. Full stop. Whatever happens from now on.

The Biggest Adventure of the Past, Present and Future!

Last edited by diego; 04-04-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #209
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
we need a turn-around.
Don't be gloomy! There is a master plan afoot.

(And by that I mean... the press release will go out in the morning. )
Old 04-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #210
never stops believin'

Kickstarter is killing my wallet: The Dead Linger, DFA, Wasteland 2, Leisure Suit Larry, The Banner Saga, Sherlock Holmes *sigh*, Feeble Fables *sigh*, and now Jane Jensen...

...I've never played GK 1-3 (but I found a sealed in plastic copy of GK1 a month ago at a local thrift store, which I will never open) but I can't not support a legend of the genre, and I can't not support brining these types of story-rich adventures back, without those meddling publisher kids.

I came in at $50, but really, my wallet is hurting - I wish I could do more.

That being said, being an obsessive Kickstarter junkie, it is troubling how slowly the Pinkerton KS has gotten going - Wasteland shot up like mad after the first 8 hours.

I also wonder if there's not a huge adventure base in Germany (and the rest of Europe) which should join the bandwagon soon.

It needs viral help - so please, please post on FB/Twitter/Tumblr now, get it being shared everywhere. If you don't use FB, now's the time to start.

Both LSL and Jane Jensen, though, I really want to succeed - story-based adventure games are a lost art, we must revive.

Kickstarter is so inspiring to me.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #211
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
we need a turn-around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzosports View Post
so please, please post on FB/Twitter/Tumblr now, get it being shared everywhere. If you don't use FB, now's the time to start.
Agree with Gonzosports, Facebook and all other social things, reddit,etc i see Neogaf has already added Jane to the official Kickstarter thread/list so that's something. It's also posted on the double fine action forum.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #212
Schattenjaeger wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhurgoyf View Post
I never played GK1 (only read a novel), and also never played GK2. But I played and absolutely adored GK3. To this day, I consider it the best adventure game ever made with it's intriguing mystery, atmosphere, music, and masterful dialogues.
For God's sake, man, play GK 1 and 2!

GK3 is great but I do think the other 2 are even better.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #213

If anyone deserves a kickstarter to succeed, it's Jane.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 04-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #214
Schattenjaeger wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaata View Post
And I liked Gray Matter, it was a pretty good adventure game, but in comparasion to the GK series... well, I really hope this kickstarter thingie will be rewarding since I want Janes new company to succed but I truly in my heart dont believe it.
And oh, I gave 50 bux.
Gray Matter was made in Europe and she wasn't present when it was being made. If she was there and able to oversee the entire process I think it would've been much better.

With her running her own company, and being in charge of every creative decision, these games should really be top notch.

Jane Jensen is committed to making adventure games full time again. This is fabulous news.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #215
fov
Rattenmonster

She talked about what happened with Gray Matter in the GameSpot interview:

Quote:
GS: What are your thoughts concerning Gray Matter 1?

JJ: It was a different kind of process for me. I had the script for that game. And basically it was developed by a German publisher, and the development team was originally Czech, and then it moved to Paris. And I was working full time at Oberon at the time, so I had a limited amount of time to really spend on that project. And towards the end, they kind of ran out of time and money and were just trying to get the game out. I'm very proud of that game; I think it's a good game, but part of the impetus behind this new studio is I want to make sure I have control over the production. And that I can make sure the games have the quality that I really want to see them have. So the story is not sort of marred by production flaws. I didn't have as much oversight on the project as I would have liked to have had.
She's very diplomatic, of course, but the important takeaway is that her experience with Gray Matter is one of the things that has prompted her to start her own studio...
Old 04-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #216

It would be wrong for me to say support Jane so that she can eventually revive GK. But I will say that I've had in my hands a few things GK4 related over the past year, and I'm personally dying to see it happening -- It's a wonderful story, just like you would expect from Jane Jensen!

With some hope, it will happen, and Jane will have the chance to develop GK4 and many other jewels. This is only the beginning

For now, what she's cooking is very very awesome. I've heard a thing or two about Moebius and Gray Matter 2 (we did the concepts for those 2 over at Phoenix Online) and I'm super excited! She talked to me about the concept for Moebius over the phone, and it's... oh, my, God. First thing I thought was "this could have only come from Jane Jensen!"

So, what are you waiting for??
www.postudios.com

Last edited by cesarbittar; 04-04-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #217
Schattenjäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarbittar View Post
It would be wrong for me to say support Jane so that she can eventually revive GK.
nothing wrong with saying it
If somebody really truly wants GK4 to have a better shot at existing, their best bet is to support jane riiiight now.
Its so ridiculous to hear some people say they wont support it because its not GK4, and they refuse to imagine any other project being anywhere near as good. If shes capable of making an amazing GK4, then shes capable of making some other amazing things too.

Did people refuse to back DFA because it wasnt grim fandango 2, or psychonauts 2? Well, somebody probably did, but they didnt matter
Old 04-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #218
never stops believin'

Does anyone thing that Jane & Co. should have thought through the name a little better?

"Jane Jensen's Pinkerton Road 2012-2013 CSG" is...awkward, and doesn't sound like a game. To those who don't have instant recognition, this doesn't sound too attractive.

You have to read below what a CSG is - what the idea is. I wouldn't have led with that.

Jane Jensen Classic Adventure Studio Season One might have been a little less awkward and more descriptive.

The KS returns on this are making me super-worried, for both this...and Tex Murphy.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #219
Schattenjäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzosports View Post
The KS returns on this are making me super-worried, for both this...and Tex Murphy.
It makes me really really really worried for tex. I guess at least they still have a month to adjust before the KS starts.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #220
Senior Automaton

It'll make it, no doubt about it. I'm actually surprised it's up to $25k already, first day. When the word spreads around and more people find out about it, it'll climb.