You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2012, 02:27 PM   #1

Default 3DS games

The ds had so many games to be enjoyed by Adventure fans such as:

-Ace Attorney games
-Another Code, Hotel Dusk, Last window, Again
-Professor Layton
-Ghost Trick
-999 hours
-Time Hollow
-Touch Detective games

However... I'm rather worried about the future of adventure style games on the 3DS.

Firstly, Cing the creators of the Another Code games and the Hotel Dusk games has gone backrupt. So sad as they were one of the more original and special game developers out there. So no more Adventure games from then.

Secondly, Capcom decided not to release the latest Ace Attorney game outside of Japan. Ace Attorney Investigations 2 demonstrated that Capcom seems to have lost faith in the series selling outside of Japan well.

I'm concerned that 3ds may not continue the success of Adventure inspired games. Infact I think we may see a massive decline in these type of games for the 3ds. I really hope not, with Cing gone and the fate of the Ace Attorney series unknown the only thing to look forward to is professor layton...
Old 03-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #2

3ds is games announced:

-Professor Layton 3ds
-Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney
-Ace Attorney 5

Anyone know of anything else announced?
Old 03-31-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
Schattenjäger

sequel to 999 announced, pretty sure theres other stuff too cant think of right now.
I wouldnt be worried, the ds only got this many adventure games with close to 10 years of developing games.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
sequel to 999 announced, pretty sure theres other stuff too cant think of right now.
I wouldnt be worried, the ds only got this many adventure games with close to 10 years of developing games.
Thanks for letting me know, that's great news. Hopefully there will be loads more. Just a shame we won't see any 3ds games by Cing.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:17 PM   #5

i hope it won't happen as you say....it was kind of refreshing to see an increase in adventure games in that console.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
full of tricks

Just in case no one's been following it, this is the sequel to 999 (also being released on PS Vita):

I think that down the line we will some more adventure games released on the system, though probably not as many as what the DS had.

Recently a new Detective Saburo Jinguji (aka Jake Hunter) was announced for the 3DS. I highly doubt it will get an English release though.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickless View Post
Just in case no one's been following it, this is the sequel to 999 (also being released on PS Vita):

I think that down the line we will some more adventure games released on the system, though probably not as many as what the DS had.

Recently a new Detective Saburo Jinguji (aka Jake Hunter) was announced for the 3DS. I highly doubt it will get an English release though.
They released two Jake Hunter games here. But I don't think they were that popular compared to Ace Attorney and 999.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:31 PM   #8
Red Bicycle Brake Unit

Also this was released last year.

Seems like a Layton clone; other than that I have no idea if it's any good.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:17 AM   #9
Chicken with a bite

Regarding Doctor Lautrec, there will be a review on the site shortly. Despite the looks, it's not a Layton clone with regards to gameplay.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:38 AM   #10
full of tricks

I don't think we're going to see much of the traditional point and click because of the way the 3DS is designed.

The top screen is the bigger (wider) of the two and has the 3D capability. Whilst the bottom screen is smaller, no 3D, but is the only one that is touch sensitive.

A traditional point and click game would mostly be spent on the the bottom, non-3D, smaller screen - most people would probably see that as a 'waste'.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #11
Filmfreak

In the 8 years the DS has been around, they've only released 17 good adventure games (not counting ports). That number is only 9 if you count series like the Ace Attorney games and the Layton games as single entries.
That's actually only 1-2 each year.

Since the 3DS has only talked about sequels and continuing existing series (again: Ace Attorney and Layton), and since there's not a word being spoken about English versions of these, I'm not holding my breath for the 3DS console. I'm definitely not buying one.

While it's a pity that I'll have to miss the 999 sequel and any future Ace Attorney game, I'm usually missing out on more games than this each year simply because of PS3- or X-Box-exclusivity. I'm not worried.

Besides, in a few years every handheld console will be obsolete anyway, being replaced by all things iOS and Android...
Old 04-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #12

I have a 3DS and 26 games on it. Love the system. It is very good at 3D Augmented Reality games like the upcoming Spirit Camera.

The adventure game I have on it - Hollywood Crimes I really enjoy. There are more adventure games coming - like the 999 Part 2 game (Virtue's last Reward) mentioned.

The Prof Layton clone (Dr. Lautec) has solid reviews - reviewers in general have been good to it. And many really enjoy the game.

I have a Dsi XL that I prefer playing adventure games on. Bigger screens and the screens are of equal size. This system is still getting releases and support.

On my Dsi XL I have 108 games - 86 of which are adventure games and I don't even have all of them I could own. All of these games will play on a 3DS.

We don't see a fraction of the DS adventure games made for the Japanese market. There are hundreds released there we never see here in the US.

For a game system only 1 year old the amount of adventure games on it is fine. We have 2 right now and another 2 to be released within a year. I only have 1 adventure game from the first 24 months of the DS - Trace Memory.

There is a 3DS XL in the works with dual 4.5 inch screens which will be perfect for adventure games. It will also have dual analog sticks.

FYI - Ghost Trick winning best handheld game, best DS game, etc. etc. and "Mask of Miracle" being the best selling game on the 3DS system at launch ensure's a good supply of adventure games on Nintendo systems in the future.

Now Playing - "999" - Dsi XL

"Kid Icarius" - 3DS

Old 04-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #13
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by samd1988 View Post
They released two Jake Hunter games here. But I don't think they were that popular compared to Ace Attorney and 999.
This is the first time I've ever heard of these games. Are they any good? They seem interesting (one of the great things about the DS is that it's region free).
Old 04-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #14
full of tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
This is the first time I've ever heard of these games. Are they any good? They seem interesting (one of the great things about the DS is that it's region free).
There's a review of it here: http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,1060

I enjoyed it, but is often criticized for lack of puzzle and being too easy.

If you're thinking of getting it, don't bother with Detective Chronicles and get Memories of the Past. Detective Chronicles is a watered down version of the original Japanese game, whilst Memories of the Past is basically a re-release with all the content intact.

Also, you just reminded me that 3DS is region locked
Old 04-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #15
She Wants Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickless View Post
There's a review of it here: http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,1060

I enjoyed it, but is often criticized for lack of puzzle and being too easy.

If you're thinking of getting it, don't bother with Detective Chronicles and get Memories of the Past. Detective Chronicles is a watered down version of the original Japanese game, whilst Memories of the Past is basically a re-release with all the content intact.

Also, you just reminded me that 3DS is region locked
Very interesting.

And the last sentence indeed. I often find myself wondering if I should go for 3DS (I have DSi XL) and then someone reminds me of that little bit and I can happily save that 200€.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #16

All three of the Nintendo systems out are worth owning:

Ds Lite - no region lock, plays all GBA games, inexpensive.

Dsi XL - huge screens, long battery life, games use camera features to enhance the games.

3DS - 3D, state of the art graphics, augmented reality features.

The DSi XL will be supported with new games so its a good bet - I love mine and play it all the time. I like it the best of the three for adventure games.