You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Nostalgic and Proud ..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
Advie.1

Default Nostalgic and Proud ..

i dont know if any one would share me this statues or not .. but for me every once a while i do nothing but to go back in time ;replaying ALL Lucasarts and Sierra 's games ,and when i hear something like those MI especial editions i start jumping , IA SQ2 remake i couldnt help myself and i enjoyed it and it did me pretty well .

Ok this might sound like another jumpy thread of mine, so i will cut it short as much as i can ... does any one sees any of developers of these days that can match Lucasarts and Sierra's reliable Qualities, Originality and entrainment Styles ,any of those that could be described as walking in their Shoes !..

I could Only think of telltale and their Similarity to Lucasarts not just because the making MI and S&M but because of the funny humor theme they always chooses which really reminds much of Lucasarts but after JP i stared to have my doubt,but anyway... .. as for Sierra i was thinking of Daedalic with those cartoony themes but yet a bit serious, original. and also has their way to give an obvious variations from one game to another.

or maybe Sierra and Lucasarts are just like somethings that will can never be repeated !

Last edited by Adventurere No.1; 03-28-2012 at 05:34 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #2

I think for me right now the closest thing would be Daedalic. Of course they're not quite as good as old school Lucasarts and Sierra but I really like their games and they stay true to the genre. None of that 3D crap.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #3

Autumn Moon with "A Vampyre Story" -- very similar to LucasArts. Although God knows when the sequel is going to come out.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #4

One of my favorite aspects of youtube is revisiting old games and watching bits of playthroughs without actually going through the hassle of playing. I love nostalgia.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 03-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #5
Senior Automaton

Nothing can match the old days of Sierra and Lucasarts. This thread will soon be full of responses claiming "oh you MUST check out ........ it's as good as DOTT" or "...... is on par with Gabriel Knight" but it just isn't so. Sorry.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by inm8#2 View Post
One of my favorite aspects of youtube is revisiting old games and watching bits of playthroughs without actually going through the hassle of playing. I love nostalgia.
Yeah I love Let's Plays. I have a lot of em saved on my hard drive just in case Youtube or the publishers get anal and take em off the net.

Also, Lost Horizon and The Book of Unwritten Tales are some of the best modern adventure games and don't have to hide themselves when compared to old school adventures.

Last edited by Schneckchen ^.^; 03-28-2012 at 02:05 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:01 AM   #7
Advie.1

also i think if you look at old schools and modern adventures you see they are somehow suggesting one of the biggest questions out there in our life "are we manipulated, or do we have the choice?"

.. most of Lucas and Sierra's Adventures had had from the start, huge areas that you can explore freely which always gave you the choice, and to do one thing (solve a puzzle) before another ,just fine .

but new/modern Adventures always tend to direct you somehow!, therefor i can say, they somehow oblige you to do one thing to get an access to another; area/puzzle ... and so on.
it seems mostly that they only give you the little choice to wander between something like 6-8 areas/screens until you can figure out what the heck the developer suggests! ..... and then the game playing would (eventually/thankfully) transpose you to the whatever is next !

P.S ... if someone wants to put his hands on exactly what i am referring/suggesting then better try to remember or replay KQ4 .... when everything in that game was right there in front of you from very beginning ...

(IMO) ..Aaahh ,how i miss those games of those good old days

Last edited by Adventurere No.1; 03-28-2012 at 07:34 AM.