You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2012, 03:19 AM   #1

Default Bracken Tor?

Q1 of 2012 is soon to become Q2 and there's still no news of Bracken Tor. Anyone know what's happening?
Old 04-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #2
Senior *female* member

Only the developer knows, and he's not telling.

I preordered Bracken Tor from publisher Iceberg 18 months ago and two weeks ago I felt the time had come to ask for my money back. I received it promptly and they were very nice and apolegetic about it. But no news, nothing.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:37 AM   #3
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcondiments View Post
still no news of Bracken Tor. Anyone know what's happening?
Er...
Old 04-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #4
Senior Automaton

Don't worry guys! Wychwood Hollow is in production so we've all got that to look forward to
Old 04-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
Myst-loving person

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcondiments View Post
Q1 of 2012 is soon to become Q2 and there's still no news of Bracken Tor. Anyone know what's happening?
If it isn't finished by June 15th, the game will lose its German publisher. Iceberg hasn't made any similar announcement yet as far as I know, but I would be very surprised if they aren't making contingency plans privately too. A publisher can't indefinitely keep their services available for a project that isn't bringing in any return.

Of course, the developer can always find another publisher if they get dropped... but that makes things more complicated for them, especially given the circumstances. I don't think a lot of publishers would jump at the project at this point, since it's got to be looking more and more like a money sink.

At some point, the game has to either be finished or not come out at all. I think within the next, say, half a year, it's going to be one or the other. But that's just a guess on my part, of course.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
Grue Master

How about a guess of a Halloween 2012 release
Old 04-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I don't mind waiting but being a fan of Matt, Shadow Tor Studios and independent adventure game developers in general, I really hope he can finish this game and get it out before he burns all his bridges with the few publishers left willing to handle adventure games.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 04-03-2012, 11:45 PM   #8

Iceberg haven't shown Bracken Tor on their homepage for some time. You can now only find it listed under the general Games section, where the release date still says 28 October 2011!! This tells me that they have lost interest in the game. As has been said before, it isn't the wait that is the problem, it's the two years' worth of missed release dates and lack of communication.

On a related topic, any news of The Last Crown? There has been no update on its website since August 2011, and not a peep out of Jonathan on his blog since early September, that's six months without a word. Has this game hit major problems?
Old 04-04-2012, 01:37 AM   #9
Space Cadet

"On a related topic, any news of The Last Crown? There has been no update on its website since August 2011, and not a peep out of Jonathan on his blog since early September, that's six months without a word. Has this game hit major problems?"

I was thinking the very same think, after visiting the website at the weekend!
Old 04-04-2012, 01:48 AM   #10
Senior *female* member

tweets, 2 April:

Question: Hi Jonathan! May I ask when The Last Crown will be released? Hope soon.

Reply Boakes: Me too! Hopefully worth the wait. Complicated issues are upsetting the industries, but games do get finished. Eventually!
Old 04-04-2012, 04:46 AM   #11
Space Cadet

Nigel will return..........
Old 04-04-2012, 05:33 AM   #12
lost in rubacava

If he's much like his games, it will be sl-o-wly.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:39 AM   #13
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimless View Post
If he's much like his games, it will be sl-o-wly.
Nothing ventured...
Old 04-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Nothing ventured...
A possible lead?
Old 04-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #15

I just hope what ever is causing the delay ends soon. SO looking forward to this. Day 1 buy for me when I finally can. Loved the first game.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #16
Myst-loving person

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsmt View Post
As has been said before, it isn't the wait that is the problem, it's the two years' worth of missed release dates and lack of communication.
My guess is this has something to do with the German publisher's ultimatum, too.

A publisher has to gear up in advance of the potential release date in order to advertise, publicize, and have the production and distribution in place. Every release date not met - unless sufficient notice is given to prevent this gearing up from starting - costs the publisher money, because what they did goes to waste.

The publisher may also lose money by having to turn down other projects that could potentially pay in the meantime, in order to remain available for a project that is not currently generating any revenue.

Once a publisher picks up a game, missing potential release dates becomes a much bigger issue. If Shadow Tor was self-publishing this game, there wouldn't be much of a problem taking as long as they want. With an outside publisher involved, patience will eventually run out. I just hope the game is finished before that happens.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:59 AM   #17
Space Cadet

Here's a question, Is Nigel Danvers the only paranormal super hero who wears a flat cap?
Old 04-05-2012, 02:26 AM   #18
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyhog View Post
Here's a question, Is Nigel Danvers the only paranormal super hero who wears a flat cap?
He's the modern day paranormal Sherlock. I hope in the next game we get to know more about Nigel. What's his favorite color? What kind of music does he like? Does he have a girlfriend? What is his favorite car? Does he like men or women?
Old 04-05-2012, 05:15 AM   #19
Space Cadet

Does he like men or women?

I thought I detected some sexual tension between him and Lucy, or was that with the guy in the Celtic shop........
Old 04-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #20
Stalker of Britain

Well, the shopkeeper certainly had an eye on Nigel!

*sigh* I am also afraid of Mr. Clark burning bridges with his fans trying to make the perfect game.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes