You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Tex Murphy seems to be back

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
It's great that they've already raised 150K, but I'm worried. So few backers, far less than the Andromeda guys and that doesn't spell any good because the Space Venture is not going to make it, unless a miracle happens. They're not even close to the 12K a day they need. Tex is already down to one thousand an hour and needs about 10K a day. So that's okay, for now. But it is sure to go down more. I don't want to be too pessimistic, after all this is just day two, but even when people thought Jane's Pinkerton wasn't doing too well, she never fell below the amount of money she needed each day.
I think you're missing the point that only just over 1.5k backers have backed it -- and they have already hit $150k. Two Guys has 3k backers and roughtly the same amount of money raised. Expect there to be at least 4k backers when done. My point is: the backers so far are contributing mostly an average of $100+ -- that's a GOOD sign.

Also, have faith that the Two Guys project will be funded. I haven't pledged to that one yet as Tex wiped me out financially -- but I plan on $50 or $100.

Last edited by talkshow; 05-16-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #162

I can't believe that this campaign came right out of the gate with two terrible ideas, two ideas that show to me that the guys behind Tex don't get the spirit of Kickstarter at all.
Now I'm glad that they dropped what essentially would have amounted to exclusive pre-order DLC. This is one of the incentives that publishers use to convince their customers to buy their game before it's released, when the hype is still high and before the critical reviews are out. Nobody likes exclusive pre-order DLC, it segments the games, withholds certain content merely for marketing and monetary reasons. The mere intention behind it is so cynical that it's deeply unattractive. Personally I only want to put money down for a game once and then don't worry about it again.

Then there's DRM. Maybe Aaron and Chris don't know this, but you don't have to use the DRM Steam provides. You can use your own DRM solution instead or even dispense with any form of DRM, like Psychonauts does.

DRM goes even more against the spirit of Kickstarter. Kickstarter fills niches that otherwise the market wouldn't pay any attention to. Projects are funded directly by the customers and therefore have to cater to their demands, otherwise they won't reach their funding goal.
I can't imagine any customer desperately wanting DRM. DRM only exists to sate the paranoia of publishers. They fear that dirty pirates might get hold of their precious product without paying a single dime for it. I don't think any rational argument will ever convince them that DRM is wrong-headed, doesn't prevent piracy and only ever annoys the honest customer. No Steam game remained ever uncracked.
Often developers don't want to put DRM on their games because they know it's ineffective and just plain unfair to their customers. But the publishers always force them to. Who forces Chris and Aaron to put DRM on their game? Nobody! Who funds their game? WE fund their game! So I hope we all will demand that they don't shackle Tex to the chains of DRM! Let us force them to drop it!

So far I'm not sure I want to support a campaign so unthankful to their supporters.

Last edited by ozzie; 05-16-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
That's a stupid decision. They're going to antagonize the (small but extremely vocal) anti-DRM crowd and create a bad vibe around their project, in exchange for a copy-protection system that'll get cracked within 10 minutes and won't get them a single extra sale.
Agreed. To me, the worst thing isn't the DRM (hey, I would prefer it it on Steam anyway), but the negativity it'll create. Look at the GOG-forum for instance. People who were talking about pledging $500 are suddenly completely disinterested just because of this. And in the grand scheme of things (A NEW TEX MURPHY GAME!!!!), what DRM-scheme they use (if any) really is a minor thing.

And yeah, what happened to the SpaceVenture kickstarter is scary. I think Tex is less well known than Space Quest, which has the whole Sierra brand backing it. Now that the diehard Tex Murphy fans have donated so generously, it's up to the rest of the gaming community to make sure the same thing doesn't happen here. I'm not opening my bottle of champagne just yet...
Old 05-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #164

I don't have a huge problen with DRM, but I don't like how unclear this whole situation is. Their FAQ gives a completely different impression of this issue than the PMs some fans are sharing. Regardless of what kind of DRM they choose to use or not use, they should be 100% clear about it on their campaign page. Otherwise people are just going to speculate, start rumours and fight.

I'm currently at a pretty high pledge, but I don't know if I'll stay there if they don't come forth soon and be clearer about what's going on.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #165

ozzie,

It's clear CJ & AC got the message and are checking into alternatives. So be patient until an official response is given. If I made a game, I'd want some kind of protection, with piracy being so rampant. Not sure why folks like you don't understand that. I'm sure everyone wants the new Tex game to be very successful so that future installments will be made. That won't be the case if every other player doesn't pay for it.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #166
Schattenjäger

they've gotta stop writing PMs and start writing an official response to all this madness in an update
Old 05-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
they've gotta stop writing PMs and start writing an official response to all this madness in an update
I just sent them a message on Kickstarter suggesting that very thing! I'm sure they will soon - they are just checking out options first.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #168

I don't understand why it can't be released on Steam with DRM and on GOG (or any other site) without DRM simultaneously. Or simply make it a DRM-free version for backers and then start selling the game with any protection they want.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkshow View Post
ozzie,

It's clear CJ & AC got the message and are checking into alternatives. So be patient until an official response is given. If I made a game, I'd want some kind of protection, with piracy being so rampant. Not sure why folks like you don't understand that. I'm sure everyone wants the new Tex game to be very successful so that future installments will be made. That won't be the case if every other player doesn't pay for it.
Piracy is rampant, deal with it. I pledge again (just canceled) when they dealt with the issue favorable to me, but I don't like to be treated that way when I help them to fund their damn game! Maybe other like to! If they want to fight piracy they should find measures that don't hurt their customers and are actually effective against piracy. Just including some ineffective DRM scheme so they can sleep better at night and worry less about all the dirty pirates, no, I'm not going to support that.

Amanita Design (Machinarium) and CD Projekt (The Witcher 2) also deal with piracy. And yet they don't hamstrung their products with DRM. And they're still in business! It's a small wonder! I wonder how they did that! Bah...

Last edited by ozzie; 05-16-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #170
Schattenjäger

The part that bugs me: is if theres a chance that backers are only going to receive the steam version, they reallyyy needed to say that ahead of time, not everybody uses steam (regardless of drm issue).
Old 05-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
Piracy is rampant, deal with it. I may pledge again (just canceled) when they dealt with the issue favorable to me, but I don't like to be treated that way when I help them to fund their damn game! Maybe other like to! If they want to fight piracy they should find measures that don't hurt their customers and are actually effective against piracy. Just including some ineffective DRM scheme so they can sleep better at night and worry less about all the dirty pirates, no, I'm not going to support that.

Amanita Design (Machinarium) and CD Projekt (The Witcher 2) also deal with piracy. And yet they don't hamstrung their products with DRM. And they're still in business! It's a small wonder! I wonder how they did that! Bah...
Why is activating it online such a problem? Everyone has an internet connection. It takes two seconds. Big deal! LOL.

Also, even if they have a DRM-free version for backers, all it takes is one of them to put it on the Internet. I just don't think that level of trust is there realistically.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #172
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

No.... not everyone has an internet connection on their gaming computer.

My wife and I don't have internet at our apartment. I need DRM-free games so that I can go to a friend's house to download the game and then be able to play the game back at my apartment where I don't have an internet connection.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #173

DRM is garbage and there's no need to saddle a crowd-funded game like this with it.

They're being a little coy about what the DRM will entail. They said that people can download the game as many times as they want. That is not the concern. The concern is having to run 3rd party applications, needing always-on internet connections, etc.

I'm going to wait this one out for now and see where it goes.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 05-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #174

Quote:
Why is activating it online such a problem? Everyone has an internet connection. It takes two seconds. Big deal! LOL.
Except for the day when your internet goes kaput. Happens often enough. What when I'm on travels and don't have a stable internet connection? I don't see any reason why I shouldn't be able to play Tex then. I want to enjoy it any time I want on my conditions. For this privilege I'd like to pay good money.
I'm fine with it if it's no issue for you. For me it is. Last word.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #175

Well, let's see what they say. I got a reply back from their KS email:

Thanks for your message. We are aware of the rising concern regarding DRM, and are working on a solution that will please as many parties as possible.

Thank you for your concern and understanding.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #176
Homo Ludens

Quote:

Also, even if they have a DRM-free version for backers, all it takes is one of them to put it on the Internet. I just don't think that level of trust is there realistically.
You have received plenty of responses already but here is another one. Valve/Steam (or whoever provides the activation server) might go belly up in several years. What happens then?
Old 05-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #177
Schattenjäger

One thing becomes more and more clear: schafers kickstarter really was a "perfect storm," a magical exception to the laws of physics. If double fine had their shoes reversed with one of these other adventure kickstarters they too would face a barrage of looming doubts and questions. "But WHAT is it?? You wont even give us a title name? or a general theme? Or any kindv screenshots? The beta has drm?? nooooooo."
I conclude that schafer is a devious sorceror.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminusEst View Post
You have received plenty of responses already but here is another one. Valve/Steam (or whoever provides the activation server) might go belly up in several years. What happens then?
Well, at least we will have been able to play a new Tex Murphy game.

Unless, of course, the Kickstarter fails thanks to the anti DRM brigade.

(I'm no fan of strict DRM-systems, and I know it'll be cracked no matter what they do. I just think this issue is being blown completely out of proportion by a very vocal group of people, and it's making me a bit upset to be honest)
Old 05-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminusEst View Post
I'm sure that would be addressed down the road, if that ever happened. Don't you want Chris Jones & Aaron Conners protected from piracy as much as possible? It helps EVERYONE then. As far as the "best" method... that's what they are looking into. All this bitching about DRM really has been quite surprising to me.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolorabi View Post
(I'm no fan of strict DRM-systems, and I know it'll be cracked no matter what they do. I just think this issue is being blown completely out of proportion by a very vocal group of people, and it's making me a bit upset to be honest)
Agreed. I think it'll be settled soon.