You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Tex Murphy seems to be back

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #121
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

Well I'll be donating for sure.
Just have to figure out whether I can gather enough coins from my "soon-to-be-smashed" piggy banks to pledge a wishful 250$ or will I have to settle with the 150$ pledge instead.

DLC doesn't bother me, since I've yet to see the game, that can't be fully enjoyed without one.
I'm fully with seebaruk on this one. DLC will most likely add some minor stuff like an additional location to visit, or even revisit one from a previous game, just for additional nostalgia - but will not in any way influence the main story of the game at hand.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #122

I'm really not a fan of the current DLC craze either, though I agree with the others who have already said that they don't think the DLC in this case will be a critical part of the game/story. What I'm thinking is that they'll probably make the same DLC available as some sort of "director's cut" thing that you can buy separately once the game is out, and just wanted to include it as a reward to those who pledge a lot now. I don't think we're supposed to see it as "not getting the whole game" if we don't pledge enough, but as getting a few additional goodies if we go that extra mile.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #123

The perks are awesome! I suggested to Chris Jones an autographed fedora and it looks like it's a perk! $750 might be a little hard to swing but I think I'm gonna do $500 -- for your picture in the game with Tex commenting on it! They really have thought these perks out well.

And it's already made $100k in the first day. I'm encouraged!

PLEDGE PLEDGE PLEDGE EVERYONE!!!

Edit: btw I've never even thought of pledging this much for any game series before. I've supported Double Fine Adventure ($100), LSL Remake ($15), Jane's Kickstarter ($50) but Tex games are so deep, long and satisfying, not to mention unique, I may break the bank on this.

Last edited by talkshow; 05-15-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #124

They got rid of the DLC perk!
Old 05-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #125
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

The DLC issue has been cleared up!

From the forums I believe (posted in the comments of the kickstarter)

Just wanted everyone to know that we've had some spirited conversations whether or not to offer the DLC (even prior to the Kickstarter launch) and it's about to become a moot point. Chris and I will be making an announcement later today that, due to the negative perception of this reward, we'll be removing it from the list and replacing it with another prize. Everyone who buys the game will get the exact same version. We may do DLC later, after the game releases, but we'll decide that later. And, if we do it, it will be made available to everyone equally.

I hope this clears everything up about this very sticky and sensitive issue.
Thanks to everyone for your donations and support! Chris and I are thrilled and more excited than ever to make an awesome game for you guys.

Aaron
Old 05-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #126

They took care of that fast! Good move on their part!
Old 05-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #127
Schattenjäger

goood goood taken care of.
I hope they dont have to clear off those 88 backers and have them redo their pledge
Old 05-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #128

Yeah... I wonder how changing the rewards will work? By looking at the bunch of "extra" tiers Jane has had to create just to add new material, I'm getting the idea that it's not very easy to just go in and edit a tier once you've created it.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #129
Schattenjäger

from what i understand, they can close a tier, but they cant edit it. They might just close that tier so new people cant enter, or i believe they could delete it releasing those pledges.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #130
Under pressure.

Some KickStarter campaigns can be nerve wrecking. Like watching the final minutes of a sports game where the score is tight. I hope this campaign is not going to be one of those.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #131
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

I have to say they are really offering a load of goodies! I didn't even realize how much it was until I tried listing all the digital rewards when I sent them my suggestion for an all-digital 115/125$ tier.
My suggested tier includes:
Wallpapers
Community access
Download of game
soundtrack
HD poster of Project Fedora
Project Fedora documentary
All Big Finish casual games
HD posters of UAKM, Pandora and Overseer
Plan 10 from outer space movie
All Tex games as digital download from GOG
e-novels of UAKM and Pandora

And I see I forgot to suggest a digital copy of the best of Tex CD, oops.

And the physical packages over 100$ ALSO gets a t-shirt, a boxed collector's edition of the game and the two cd's.

That is a huge amount of stuff, a lot more than other campaigns I've seen. It's almost a bit too much for the amount of money people are paying.
Digital download of the Tex games are about 40$ on their own, and the casual games are about 6$ per game..!

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 05-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #132

Send a message via AIM to Gledster Send a message via MSN to Gledster Send a message via Yahoo to Gledster

As my avatar shows, you can probably guess how stoked I am for this! I really hope they make it!

Good luck to the Big Finish guys on their Kickstarter.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #133

I can't believe I just pledged $750. I'm determined... I want that fedora!!!
Old 05-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #134
MoP
Comfortably Numb

On that December 2012 date that's on the pledge levels (KS comment):
Quote:
I just got a message back from AC and CJ that the game itself is actually slated for May 2013. December 2012 is just the date for the incentives, such as the documents and posters.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooFX View Post
Well I'll be donating for sure.
Just have to figure out whether I can gather enough coins from my "soon-to-be-smashed" piggy banks to pledge a wishful 250$ or will I have to settle with the 150$ pledge instead.
You can freely change the amount and reward selection after pledging. Since keeping up the momentum is probably a good thing for the campaign right now (as it might get it more press attention et.c.) maybe it'd be a good idea to pledge the minimum amount now and then up it later if you decide you can afford it. That was what I decided to do anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantera
Digital download of the Tex games are about 40$ on their own, and the casual games are about 6$ per game..!
Yeah, it's awesome. I was hoping they could cut some kind of deal with GOG about the old games. And I'm sure GOG gets a lot of positive attention and new customers because of it. So it's a win-win situation for both GOG and Big Finish.

I always knew I would be pledging much more to this campaign than any other, but all the rewards makes it seem less like a donation and more like a very good deal.

Last edited by Kolorabi; 05-15-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkshow View Post
I can't believe I just pledged $750. I'm determined... I want that fedora!!!
Well, I'd too if I had $3.3 million to spare...

Anyway - I'm really glad they got to a great start, the race is not over, but the goal seems within reach.

I've never been much of a Tex Murphy "fan" - actually - it's just that somehow I've missed playing it for all these years, as I'm sure i would be a fan otherwise. There're several great things to come from this - another legendary series is back, which can only further motivate another games/companies to think about the same - as we're witnessing it already. Also, Kickstarter knows no genres, but it wouldn't be too selfish to say that adventure games "conquered" it, not only with Double Fine on the top spot, but with unparalleled number of adventure game designers who're returning to business thanks to it.

And let's not forget that this means one more thing - Punk FMV is not dead!

The Biggest Adventure of the Past, Present and Future!
Old 05-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #137

I'm in. My biggest pledge yet. All the extra goodies made it an easy choice.

Already at 25% it's an excellent first day but it could be because they announced it early and everybody was ready to put the money.

Loved the first video. Really hope this makes it and just goes way pass it!
Old 05-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #138

On the subject of Tex Murphy. Last year I purchased a Lasersoft compilation CD-Rom that included all of Access Software's floppy disk adventure games (Mean Streets, Countdown, Crime Wave and Martian Memorandum)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00124MWHW//ref=nosim/adventuregame-20

It was about half the price of what I pledged for this Kickstarter so that should tell you how ridiculously priced it was. It's just strange to see compilation CDs have appreciated in value like this... imagine how much all the goodies from these Kickstarters will command in a few years time!
Old 05-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #139
Schattenjäger

hehe looks like the new 150 tier is a tex shot glass. Crisis averted
Really has been a quite remarkable first day, around 120 per person and 1000 people reached.

EDIT: lol... every time somebody switches out of the old 150 tier for the new one theyr going to have to lower the max again...
Old 05-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #140

Without the DLC issue I may be inclined to pledge more. Let's see how the Kickstarter goes, so far I pledged 16$, I may raise later on.