You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Tex Murphy seems to be back

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #81
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

Looking forward to the new game. About a month so I wasn't convinced I'd be interested but UAKM got me. 4 days in I get why the series has a cult following. Excellent storyline, clever puzzles, noir sensibility (comedy and cynicism represented) and story-integrated puzzles. I will be supporting this kickstarter.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #82
Strategy Guide Author

Wow.. just up and already 2 $10K backers and 1 $5K backer?

Hope those are legit.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:40 PM   #83

I haven't even finished watching the pitch video yet, but my heart is already singing because they got my favourite regular on Chandler Avenue back. I was certain that he wouldn't be returning or would be played by a different actor. Just for the joy of seeing him again, I'm going to pour so much money into this that it's not even funny.

I hope the campaign will be able to lure in people who aren't already familiar with the series. There was quite a lot of emphasis on how this is going to be the sixth game in the series and will continue the story, which might turn off some people. Good thing they're offering the old games as rewards.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #84

Yay! This seems like a well thought-out Kickstarter. Let's see now how much interest there is for Tex Murphy.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 05-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #85
Psychonaut

The video is great.

I'm in.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:31 PM   #86
FOT
Geek Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phod View Post
Wow.. just up and already 2 $10K backers and 1 $5K backer?

Hope those are legit.
2 of the 3 are for certain.

It does say in the write up that.....I'm going to quote!

Long-time Tex fans may be curious if the new storyline will pick up where Overseer (and its infamous cliffhanger) left off. The short answer is YES, but this game will be just as enjoyable for people who have never played the earlier games. While we can't give too many details yet, just be prepared for an incredible opening sequence!
Old 05-14-2012, 11:36 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOT View Post
2 of the 3 are for certain.
It does say in the write up that.....I'm going to quote!

Long-time Tex fans may be curious if the new storyline will pick up where Overseer (and its infamous cliffhanger) left off. The short answer is YES, but this game will be just as enjoyable for people who have never played the earlier games. While we can't give too many details yet, just be prepared for an incredible opening sequence!
That's great news! I somehow missed that when I was reading the page. I guess I was so excited that my eyes just glided over it.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:39 PM   #88
More slaw!!!

Woooohoooooooo!!! I'm in. Wish I could pledge more! Really, really surprised at the target, considering how much others are asking for. It's off to a good start, with any luck we will smash 450k and hit 1 million+
Old 05-15-2012, 12:00 AM   #89

Hello, new poster here!

Yayyyy I'm so excited about this. I pledged as much as I can possibly afford right now (this is my first priority, then Jane next), but knowing me, I'll scrounge towards the end and try to up my pledge a little more...

It would be so cool to do the $500 and get to have your picture in the game, don't you think?
Old 05-15-2012, 01:03 AM   #90

That was a really good pitch video.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:31 AM   #91
Senior *female* member

That was just the kind of pitch I want from Tex. I agree, 450K doesn't seem enough for an FMV game, but what do I know.

One minor criticism... what's the add $20 for international shipping doing at the higher tiers? You shouldn't have to pay extra when donating 500 dollars or more. Not that I did. $250 is the limit for me.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:29 AM   #92

God damn it, why didn't the Space Quest guys wait a month...

That was amazing. I'm giving them a bigger pledge than I gave to Jensen and Space Quest, which says a lot for a Sierra fanboy.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:22 AM   #93

autographed fedora
Old 05-15-2012, 03:30 AM   #94
MoP
Comfortably Numb

Surprised there's no actual fedoras as rewards (wait, I'm blind, it's there at the 750$ mark! my bad). Great idea to use the previous Tex games/novels and the casuals from BigFinish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500$ tier
The Ultimate Detective box set of "Under a Killing Moon", "Pandora Directive", and "Overseer" in special edition Collector’s Box.
Oh how I wish I had a spare kidney or a spare whatever worth 500$.

20$ shipping at those crazy high levels is silly though. I thought Double Fine did the same and everybody just copies them, but looked back, and DF just asked for that at the 100$ level. Someone needs to chill with the copy-paste.

Oh:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150$ tier
Additional DLC for “Project Fedora” featuring more game play, extra rooms, and 'Easter Egg' insights into Tex’s life and other citizens of Chandler Avenue.
I hope this won't become a trend... can we please keep "DLCs" out of adventure games?

Well anyway, go Tex! And I'm off back to finish Mean Streets (so much fun!).

Last edited by MoP; 05-15-2012 at 03:44 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:51 AM   #95
Senior *female* member

The one thing that worries me is the potential number of backers. Jane made it thanks to her devoted fans, who donated a lot. The Andromeda guys had a flying start, but they've almost come to a standstill.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:01 AM   #96
MoP
Comfortably Numb

I'm thinking that 150$ tier will be helping here. The 'big' projects showed there's enough people out there willing to shell out a larger sum with the right incentive (if they're not broke yet that is... thanks, KS craze).

Apart from the regular stuff, boxed Collectors Edition etc. there's 5 adventure games, 4 casual games and two novels here. That's a lot of (immediately available I presume?) content. That could get people interested.

BTW, the average pledge per backer at the moment is over 200$ Wonder if Tex will beat out Jane in the "backer generousness" level.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:15 AM   #97
The Quiet One

$450,000 is a very modest budget for an FMV game! I was expecting it to be a LOT more than that! I hope it well and truly surpasses that!

I'll be pledging a $100 for sure to get a big boxed copy! ^_^
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 05-15-2012, 04:22 AM   #98

i remember paying $100 each for overseer & pandora. A good boxed gave i would expect to pay at least $80 to a unknown author but for tex its got be worth my $500
Old 05-15-2012, 04:58 AM   #99
Schattenjäger

Wow i think thats the best pitch video iv seen yet.
and 68k and 350 backers already? Id call that a nice start to say the least. Though the numbers are heavily influenced by 10k backers.. id still say thats a good sign. Definitely have questions about how many people are going to join... but if they can get more than 500 backers in the first 24 hours itl be a good day.
And heres the advantage this thing has over alot of other kickstarters: extremely clear message, very well thought out rewards, this game is "what the fans want" not a remake or new IP, and it has both awesome and funny pitch video.
EDIT: oh blah, just noticed their dlc on the 150 tier. Thats a mistake.

Last edited by zane; 05-15-2012 at 05:23 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:21 AM   #100

Yes, brilliant video. I knew they wouldn't waste time and came up with something cool. But that's double-cool! Although they probably should've showed more celebrities that took part in Tex Murphy games and some *possible* celebrities to make it into future game to attract more people. Hopefully, that's only the start of the big campaign.