You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Serious & Emotional AGs (No Lists!)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2012, 06:25 AM   #1
Advie.1

Default Serious & Emotional AGs (No Lists!)

I just have finished Moment of Silence for the 1st time(what A GEM!!) ,then i tried to play Simon5..and i just turned it of at once, Tale of a Hero and turned it of just the same ... i thought what would be wrong with me?! and that didn't need much thinking actually, i knew that i just i had gone much far into Peter Wright ,and the atmosphere with the story all the same;
was like eating a great meal without knowing how great it is, and then i can not have any taste for most or maybe all the food you been eating before.

So i stared searching for similar games, it wasn't easy but i remembered that there are/were games (with Heroes) that i played gave me the same feeling and emotion before (Blade Runner,Longest Journey,sanitarium,Gabriel Knight especially part2,Gemini Rue,gray matter,Riven..and many others)

I really dont want to list them, i had enough of lists lately!, i just wanted to discuss or tell how i felt with a Serious & Emotional Adventure!, which i know that i will get over it anyhow and start to play games with idiots or jerks rolling Heroes again in no time, which (Sadly) they just Rule the genre ..

Last edited by Adventurere No.1; 03-11-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:38 AM   #2

If you loved Moment of Silence you MUST play "Overclocked" by the same guys who made Moment of Silence. It's a very serious, very dark psychological thriller that explores the origins of violence and what aggresion does to people and those around them. It's got one of the best developed characters I've ever come across in an AG and as a result is extremely engrossing. You can really feel for the main character as he gets deeper and deeper into trouble and it presents a very interesting and original mystery as well. I highly recommend it for those who are in search of a truly mature game.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
Advie.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray pierce View Post
If you loved Moment of Silence you MUST play "Overclocked" by the same guys who made Moment of Silence. It's a very serious, very dark psychological thriller that explores the origins of violence and what aggresion does to people and those around them. It's got one of the best developed characters I've ever come across in an AG and as a result is extremely engrossing. You can really feel for the main character as he gets deeper and deeper into trouble and it presents a very interesting and original mystery as well. I highly recommend it for those who are in search of a truly mature game.
its from house of tales also ,correct? ..those guys a really something ,i guess Next Life is some serious game too which have some deep characteristics as well

Old 03-11-2012, 07:22 AM   #4
Third Guy from Andromeda

If you can possibly stand to play a text adventure, you might want to consider TRINITY by Brian Moriarty. It's a wholly serious adventure and really a wonderfully-written game, with at least one sequence that will squeeze your heart.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #5

While "serious" and "emotional" often goes together, there're also games which are more "serious" and less "emotional" and vice versa.

Seriousness can be achieved with horror theme, mystery, psychological thriller... which doesn't have to dwelve too much with emotions. "Emotions", on the other hand, can be also achieved even with humor. After all, laugh is just another emotion.

But, the first thing those terms remind me of is - well written and memorable characters. If characters are convincing, than it's easy to further come up with emotions. I see Broken Sword as a "serious" mystery, even though the humor is spicing the things up. And Phantasmagoria is "serious" in it's horror story.

But what you're looking now, under the impression of Moment of Silence, is probably game with "deeper" message, meaning, philosophical, critics of the society and mankind... Perhaps you can try I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream, Faust, Sanitarium or Shadow of Destiny

The Biggest Adventure of the Past, Present and Future!
Old 03-11-2012, 07:32 AM   #6
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
Perhaps you can try I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream, Faust, Sanitarium or Shadow of Destiny
Amazing! Those three games (he has already played Sanitarium) are the ones I was going to recommend. You beat me to it by a few minutes.

Oh, and I liked Overclocked a lot too.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #7
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurere No.1 View Post
I just have finished Moment of Silence for the 1st time(what A GEM!!) ,then i tried to play Simon5..and i just turned it of at once, Tale of a Hero and turned it of just the same ... i thought what would be wrong with me?! and that didn't need much thinking actually, i knew that i just i had gone much far into Peter Wright ,and the atmosphere with the story all the same;
was like eating a great meal without knowing how great it is, and then i can not have any taste for most or maybe all the food you been eating before.
Oh that feeling after a great adventure game! Even if it leaves you feeling empty, wanting more but fearing there never ever will be such a game again, it still is the reason why I got so hooked on adventure games. I had my first such experiences with the Myst games.
The games I would recommend you are mostly games you mentioned in your initial post: The Longest Journey, Gemini Rue, Sanitarium.
Have you played the Syberia games. It's a unique story, very gripping imho.

But I've also had wonderful feelings after having played less emotional games: Machinarium was unique and truly amazing. And Still Life with all its 'grittyness' got my full attention although some of the puzzles almost made me rip my hair out.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:08 AM   #8
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Amazing! Those three games (he has already played Sanitarium) are the ones I was going to recommend. You beat me to it by a few minutes.

Oh, and I liked Overclocked a lot too.
I'm glad to see someone mention Faust - I seem to remember it getting ripped to shreds in reviews (maybe I'm wrong?)
That was one of the darkest and most emotional games I've ever played. I really felt like I was the main character as he looked into the lives of all the circus inhabitants. Not many other games have touched me like that, others being Syberia, GK2 and 3, Overclocked, TLJ and Moment of Silence.

I tried to replay Faust a while back but for some reason it doesn't seem to like Windows 7
Old 03-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Tale of a Hero and turned it of just the same ...
Well, I suggest to turn it on again While ToaH sure have some humour thrown in, the storyline is quite serious, sometimes even touching. At least I left the game with the very same feeling you described.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:36 AM   #10
She Wants Revenge

Where can you get this Faust, would be interested but is there easier routes than ordering from Amazon and finding out it wont work on my Win7?
Old 03-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #11
lost in rubacava

It wasn't a very good game, AFAIC, and I doubt I'd recommend it to anyone, but Paradise had a serious theme and the ending has to be the most shocking of any I've run across. My main reaction was stunned.

Btw, Tale of a Hero is one of those 'made on a shoestring' games that really deserves to be played when you're not in a mood for deeply serious.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #12

Tough to call on this one for some games. For example, I consider The Last Express to be serious and emotional, but comparatively to some of the games listed here it might be considered lighter fare. The recent "To The Moon" probably qualifies, though it's less interactive than most, as does Heavy Rain(PS3 only) and Indigo Prophecy(Fahrenheit).
Old 03-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #13
Advie.1

thanks all, i will take all those mentioned in consideration though some of them suggested i had already played and they actually contain those sort of feelings that you get afterwards, like you mentioned correctly.
another thing, Culpa Innata ? does this game offer this emotional theme that i seek?

Old 03-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #14
She Wants Revenge

Quote:
thanks all, i will take all those mentioned in consideration though some of them suggested i had already played and they actually contain those sort of feelings that you get afterwards, like you mentioned correctly.
another thing, Culpa Innata ? does this game offer this emotional theme that i seek?
It depends a bit. The world in Culpa Innata is not very emotional but the journey of the protagonist can be seen as one. So yes and no, it's not emotional like Overclocked or Dreamfall but it's definitely an adult game.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:05 AM   #15

I strongly recommend you to play To the Moon. (Edit: Just discovered that HitBattousai already mentioned it.)

While it has many elements of comedy, it tells the most touching and emotionally involving story that I've seen in a game thus far. I actually found it hard to believe that the game was written by a young man in his early twenties. The game's reflections about life and death, childhood and age, love and loss are breathtaking.

Last edited by Martin Gantefoehr; 03-12-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:49 AM   #16

I'm not sure why you would equate, or even correlate, emotional with serious.
Grim Fandango is very moving, but also hilarious. To the Moon has a lot of comic relief, but it made John Walker (of Rock, Paper, Shotgun), and many others, cry.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #17
Advie.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
I'm not sure why you would equate, or even correlate, emotional with serious.
Grim Fandango is very moving, but also hilarious. To the Moon has a lot of comic relief, but it made John Walker (of Rock, Paper, Shotgun), and many others, cry.
sure you have a point, but ozzie i am not equating here ,really!,
i know moving games even larry3 had some kind of moving moments (when his wife cheated on him and he had to divorce her) ,
but my point was that Mix between them not to equate them ..No! ,
games like MoS, without those (you know) cartoon themes (though cartoons can be so serious sometimes indeed),but i meant something almost real as a movie like for Ex.(Fight Club, Seven,Blade Runner) something Deeeep.

that is ALL and thanks (really) for your post.

Last edited by Adventurere No.1; 03-12-2012 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #18

Quote:
i meant something almost real as a movie like for Ex.(Fight Club, Seven,Blade Runner) something Deeeep.
Fight Club and Blade Runner seemed more surreal than real to me And I wish Seven had the wit and style of Dr. Phibes rather then trying so much to remain moody and depressing. In this regards I think the "Still Life trilogy" (Still Life 1-2 and Post Mortem) are the closets adventure experiences you can find.