You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The moment of silence

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #1

Default The moment of silence

Hello,

Long time reader first poster here
I am looking to grab The moment of Silence which I never had the chance to play.
Is there anywhere to buy it digitaly ? As for physical copy, Amazon.com has some but they don't ship videogames to Canada (last time I checked), if it is not available for download I guess I'll go for E-bay.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #2

I probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but what about www.amazon.ca?
Old 03-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #3

Oh, they have it. I am really surprised ! I would prefer digital distribution but if I have to, it is quite inexpensive on E-bay.

Also, does anyone knows if it will run with Windows 7 ?
Old 03-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
long live the dragons

Send a message via MSN to pointandcliklover

It worked on vista but was very very buggy, i never completed it due to the crashing but i liked it alot.

Welcome by the way.

Marise-Chiko
Old 03-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
Replicant

Be wary before buying this. I have a physical copy but have not been able to play it on Windows 7 or Vista no matter what "fixes" I've tried. DRM is a cancer on the gaming industry and the despicable StarForce copy protection has meant I've never been able to get it working, yet apparently pirates have been able to get copy-free versions of the game, so paying customers are punished. Now, none of the DRM problems may affect you but if you use a newer OS there is a chance it may.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
grave wax

Send a message via MSN to adipocere

Steam may have it. It's a cool game btw. You should like =)
Old 03-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #7
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by adipocere View Post
Steam may have it. It's a cool game btw. You should like =)
Steam does not have it. How hard was it to check that before posting? And did you think that the OP hadn't checked Steam yet?

To be more constructive, I don't think that any digital-distribution platform is selling the Moment of Silence. And I've looked pretty hard.

I started playing the game a few years ago but due to one thing or another (moving houses) I never got to finish it and had to leave the disks behind. I've stopped buying physical copies but I might have to if I am to ever finish it...
Old 03-07-2012, 03:38 AM   #8

SputnikBanana, try to hunt down a copy of the North American release on Ebay (published by The Adventure Company). Contrary to popular belief, this version of the game does not have Starforce (-- hey, I'm linking back to a seven year old post! ). In fact, the TAC release has no copy protection at all.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #9

My Adventure Co. copy of Moment of Silence can be played without the cd so that indicates to me that Martin is right and it doesn't have copy protection. It's on WinXP though and if I get some time later I'll try it on Win7 to see if there are any problems with it working and edit my post.

EDIT: Well, it doesn't work for me in 64 bit even with compatability but may work in32 bit. I haven't searched for a tweak for it yet. There is an update patch to 1.1 so be sure to get it.

Glad to see you found a copy. It's a good game and the character animation is excellent. Fooling with it made me want to play it again!

Last edited by Dara100; 03-08-2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: add info
Old 03-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #10

While I strongly agree that it isn't advisable to trust random strangers on the internet, you can trust me in this case.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #11

Wow ! Thanks for all your replies. It is really appreciated. I think I'll look on E-bay. Those listed seems to be European copies so I'll stay away.

I have not seen any digital distributor carrying the game. I was asking because I may have missed it and I don't know every single one digital stores out there
Old 03-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #12

Oh ! I have found one from The Adventure Company for 8.99 + 6.00 for shipping to Canada on E-bay

Once again, thanks
Old 03-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #13
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin gantefoehr View Post
while i strongly agree that it isn't advisable to trust random strangers on the internet, you can trust me in this case.
*chuckles*
Old 03-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
DRM is a cancer on the gaming industry and the despicable StarForce copy protection has meant I've never been able to get it working, yet apparently pirates have been able to get copy-free versions of the game

This sort of thing infuriates me. The only people who suffer are the people who have bought the game. Pirates bypass this stuff easily. And the publishers expect to get sympathy about the piracy 8-)
Old 03-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #15
cookie monster

Yeah, Martin Gantefoehr is sure a random stranger. Someone who may know 1 or 2 things about The Moment of Silence.

Speaking of pirates and their copy-free version of the game - I believe u r talking about release from group called MONEY. They used The Adventure Company drm-free version (well, TAC was brand of DreamCatcher). In case of MOS they didn't crack anything.

The reason why MOS is not in digital shops is that English version publishers, Digital Jesters and The Adventure Company's (and DreamCatcher's) parent company JoWooD Entertainment went bankrupt. I wouldn't rule out that it may come soon though as Nordic Games bought JoWood products and brands few months ago. NG is presented in most of major digital channels (eg Steam, GamersGate, GOG, Beamdog...) so I'm keeping fingers crossed.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #16

Quote:
In case of MOS they didn't crack anything.
Indeed they didn't. All they did was make the game available for zero payment, right after its release. A public service, really.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #17
fov
Rattenmonster

Aw, come on... You saw a percentage of that, didn't you?

Old 03-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Aw, come on... You saw a percentage of that, didn't you?
I'm not sure what you mean?

(On a second thought: yeah, of course.)
Old 03-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #19
Old timer - Adv. Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbman View Post
This sort of thing infuriates me. The only people who suffer are the people who have bought the game. Pirates bypass this stuff easily. And the publishers expect to get sympathy about the piracy 8-)
I see nothing wrong with buying a game and then get a crack for the DRM stuff, like others have said here, sometimes the bug is the copy protection Besides, I don;t want to be inserting a CD/DVD every time I want to launch a game, I'd have to have close to 20 CD's lying around!
I remember whe BIOSHOCK came out, and the copy protection was all messed up, to the point that you couldn;t even install it, in some cases, I didn't break a sweat, bought the game then downloaded the torrent