You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure "The Walking Dead" from Telltale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2012, 04:21 AM   #41
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
That puddle of ketchup seems to be his real enemy... wait, did he just asked a corpse with his head blown off if he's dead? And why does he have to say those "I wonder if (...)" outloud?

But, actually, it looks like it could be a fun little game if those "action" moments have (much) more options than just "kick or pickup hammer" before the time runs out (I mean, he's in a house ffs); creativeness wouldn't always pay off, of course. Finally, the comic-book aesthetic looks good but those undead could've used a bit of realism for a more menacing/scary look.

I guess I'll keep an eye on this one, even if QTEs are a disgrace to humanity.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #42
Dreamfall Soon!

It actually looks like more fun than I thought it would and better than Jurassic Park!
Old 03-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #43

I loved Jurassic Park for its continuation/parallel story to the first book. Was like Jurassic Park 1.5.....thank god Walking Dead didn't go that route. The game looks great!

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 04-24-2012, 03:43 AM   #44

this just got reviewed on ign. They gave it a very favourable review.

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/122/12...tent=Google+UK
Old 04-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #45
The Quiet One

I've noticed a few reviews that Telltale have re-tweeted on Twitter, which seem quite favorable...

Very curious...
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 04-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #46
Psychonaut

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forum...9&postcount=43

It's a Telltale game. Too short and too easy.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:12 AM   #47
Kumquat Painter

Quote:
http://www.adventuregamers.com/forum...9&postcount=43

It's a Telltale game. Too short and too easy.
Lucien, it seems like you enjoyed it but felt that it was ultimately too short as a linear one play adventure. I think that I'm going to reserve judgment on the whole enterprise until Episode 5 has been and gone but I must say that A New Day is an excellent start. The key question in my mind is to how much individual choice will effect future chapters. My gut tells me not much but I am extremely excited to find out nonetheless.

Extra bonus points for having the voice acting of Nikki Rapp aka every one's favourite pirate sex kitten, Morgan LeFlay.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #48

Interactive movies were all the rage in 90s, and then, after the quiet time, Quantic Dream proved you don't need "real" actors, adding some quick time events to accompany it.

And now it's clear - Telltale made a 100% interactive movie. Back to the Future is "Gabriel Knight" compared to The Walking Dead, although the latter seems to be a better "game".

Good:

Telltale continues to do wonders with their engine - better graphics, old hardware requirements. Beautifully nailed "comic-feel" with cel-shading, and finally not that many character models recycling (well, apart from the zombies but that doesn't count). GREAT main character's voice, resembling Ben in Full Throttle. As for the story, i'm no expert since i haven't been watching the show, neither read the comic, but it's a usual zombie invasion fare, with a little drama on top of it. Suspense and horror are nicely done, reminded me of such classics as "From Dusk Till Dawn", "Buffy the Vampire Slayer "...

Bad:

Puzzles are not that important for an interactive movie but - for the majority of it player is merely a spectator, pressing keys or mouse button from time to time. Even an inventory and using things is fully automated - you just pick up an object which goes to "non-interactive" inventory, and the object presents itself once it is usable on a hot-spot. I have no troubles with using the keyboard, but it wouldn't hurt to have fully mouse controls as well. Action sequences could use a little variety - tapping Q and quick-clicking oh a hot-spot is all there is to it. Often, you need to stab the zombie several times in a row, although, there's one occasion where it seemed over the top and ruined the emotional scene. Since it's just one episode, i can't complain for the story or character development, which seemed nice for a 2-hour game. Maybe because of a short play time, the game doesn't offer to skip dialogues, cutscenes (even those we've already seen), to move quickly between the screens or save the game.

The Biggest Adventure of the Past, Present and Future!

Last edited by diego; 04-28-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:49 AM   #49

Just played episode one.

I wish Heavy Rain never existed.

EDIT: BTW, I have exclusive footage from Telltale's upcoming King's Quest game! This is going to be GREAT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrKaPpp-Yjs

Last edited by thejobloshow; 04-30-2012 at 02:55 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:03 AM   #50
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
for the majority of it player is merely a spectator,
This kills it for me. I like movies, but they're a different media from games. You can't mix the two without considering the impact on the audience, which is predominantly a gaming audience.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #51
Psychonaut

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-million-sales

Well Done to Telltale for over 1 million sales.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejobloshow View Post
Just played episode one.

I wish Heavy Rain never existed.

EDIT: BTW, I have exclusive footage from Telltale's upcoming King's Quest game! This is going to be GREAT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrKaPpp-Yjs
Wow.....no. Seriously no.

Glad you can hate on one of Tell-tale's highest rated games.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 05-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #53

The one thing I just can't get a sense of is the gameplay.

Are there puzzles? What kind?

Do dialogue trees affect story outcomes?

How much is action sequences and how much is puzzle solving / exploration?

Does the game carry you from one scene to the next, or can you travel freely in the game world?

I've read so many reviews, but I have zero sense of what the game is actually like.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 05-18-2012, 06:26 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by inm8#2 View Post
The one thing I just can't get a sense of is the gameplay.

Are there puzzles? What kind?
There are some light puzzles. It's mostly about interacting with the immediate environment. You don't have a large inventory full of items.

Quote:
Do dialogue trees affect story outcomes?
Yes, although it's difficult to say how much. There didn't appear to be a huge impact in this first episode, but some of that stuff is supposed to carry on through the game. There are items that you can give to characters. You choose who and how many of the item and according to people who know the writers, that will make a difference in the next episode. After some dialog choices you'll even see text on the screen explaining that your choice will be remembered and influence the character you're talking to. This notification can be turned off in the options.

Quote:
How much is action sequences and how much is puzzle solving / exploration?
There aren't that many action sequences. It's mostly about interacting with characters. There isn't a lot of exploration or puzzle solving in the first episode.

Quote:
Does the game carry you from one scene to the next, or can you travel freely in the game world?
The game takes you from one place to the next. You cannot freely travel the world. The most freedom you have is a few different screens in the same immediate area.

Quote:
I've read so many reviews, but I have zero sense of what the game is actually like.
Here's a link to 23 minutes of unedited gameplay. It starts about 5-10 minutes into the game. It might give you a better sense of what it's like.

Last edited by louiedog; 05-18-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #55

So if there's little puzzle solving and little action, where's the gameplay? It seems like a railed dialogue selector.

Everybody's saying this game is amazing, and I don't question them, but what's amazing about it? From what I can tell interactivity and gameplay are thin at best.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Old 05-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #56
Senior Automaton

Quote:
So if there's little puzzle solving and little action, where's the gameplay? It seems like a railed dialogue selector.

You're spot on. It's why Telltale games now bore me. They used to be a must-buy company with Sam&Max TOMI and Wallace and Gromit, but I tried the first episode but decided halfway through that I'm not going to buy any more Telltale unless I'm absolutely certain I'll like the game.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #57

Quote:

Everybody's saying this game is amazing, and I don't question them, but what's amazing about it? From what I can tell interactivity and gameplay are thin at best.
It's mostly just interactive story. The entire gaming population online seems to love it even if they don't care about adventure games or any other Telltale stuff. Maybe it's because they're big fans of the show and comic. I don't care for the show.

I thought it was okay and I'm interested in continuing to play through the story, but as an adventure game it didn't do it for me at all.

Last edited by louiedog; 05-18-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #58

Oh I definitely see the appeal and don't criticize the game at all for what it is. It's great that so many people are enjoying TWD by Telltale, but for me personally it's just not appealing as a game. I loved Heavy Rain, so maybe I'd enjoy TWD as well. But I'll wait for a future sale or something.