You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Dies Irae in (adventure) game music

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 12:44 AM   #1

Default Dies Irae in (adventure) game music

Hello! I hope this doesn't count as spam or as a try to get more views to my videos but I got obsessed by "Dies Irae" a while ago and now I need to share it's beauty.

Many of you might know that "Dies Irae" is one of the oldest known european melodies, composed somewhere in the 13th century. It's used by many other composers often to represent death or middle age or ancient times etc. While its use in classical music and in movies are quite well researched and documented, I couldn't find any list of it's use in video games.

So I started my own. Check this video to see what I've gathered so far. And because YouTube says it's blocked in some countries (most likely because I included an excerpt from The Shining in it) could you please tell me does the video work in your country?

I know, I started this same thread in a couple of other forums (mostly VGM-forums) but I still posted this here because:

1) two of the games I found are adventure games
2) I think "adventure games" are an 'intellectual' genre that could more likely to include "Dies Irae" in their score
3) you here have played more 'obscure' games than most guys in VGM-forums
4) my knowledge of adventure games limits to LucasArts classics + few others

So if you know more games (doesn't need to be adventure games, of course) please let me know. Keep also in mind that I seek for the old 13th century "Dies Irae", not the ones in Mozart's, Verdi's etc. Requiems which are also used in many games, for example the beginning of Still Life.

====================================
Games already on the list (and on the video)
====================================

Indiana Jones and Fate of Atlantis (at 03:15)
Zombies Ate My Neighbors (at 04:33)
Gauntlet Legends (at 04:59)
Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (at 05:43)
Final Fantasy IX (at 06:50)
Heroes of Might and Magic 5 (at 07:56)
Sam and Max, Season 2 (at 09:11)

Dante's Inferno (not on the video I made)

Thanks for your help in advance!

- BlueMeeple -
Old 02-10-2012, 12:58 AM   #2
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Brilliant! I never recognized that melody from Fate of Atlantis. Now it makes me love the soundtrack even more.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:47 AM   #3

We have a thread which is about guessing music from adventure games, and a year or so ago I made a big file for that thread using only classical music from adventure soundtracks. The two instances of the Dies Irae that you mention were part of it. In fact, it was hearing it used ad nauseam in Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes (see here, e.g. at 16:00) that made me think about its use in adventures, which in turn prompted me to look for more classical music in adventure games. It's nice to see I'm not the only who's been wondering about its use in games.

Anyway, at the time I tried to think about more instances of the Dies Irae in adventure games and couldn't think of any.

(And so that post is not much help to you. Sorry!)
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 02-10-2012, 02:36 AM   #4

wow cool sound really, i tend not to pay too much attention while playing, only looking at my automatic watch to keep track of time, but should definitely do that!

Last edited by alterego; 02-13-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
(And so that post is not much help to you. Sorry!)
Actually you helped a lot with that "Might and Magic: Clash of Heros" -clip! Didn't know about that one. Thanks!

Remember, I'm looking for all games, not only adventure games. You can also help by sharing my video and keeping your ears open while playing games or listening to VGM soundtracks.

PS. I wonder in which countries my video is banned... Do you have any ideas?
Old 02-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
Game Creator Hobbyist

It's clearly viewable in Sweden, but that's all I have to add. I may have heard (and even recognised it) in games, but I can't recall that. For example I played Sam & Max recently enough that I must have recognised the tune in it, but I wouldn't have been able to tell you that it was there. (And I can't even place your clip.)
Old 02-12-2012, 03:53 AM   #7
Filmfreak

Video's viewable in Belgium as well.

Never recognized that Fate of Atlantis bit either. And I must've played that game 20 times or so...
Old 02-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #8

It's viewable in US as well. Takes me back to my parochial school choir days. We'd sing it in the original Latin at funerals except one where it was specifically asked we omit it. Wondered if it was too much to bear for someone.

I can still remember all the words as well. If you want to remember something permanently set it to music.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #9

Can't watch the video in Germany. And I'm unable to use a proxy with my connection either.
Could you maybe upload the video somewhere else (like DailyMotion) or tell me in which track the Dies Irae appears in Fate of Atlantis? I'm curious, because I never noticed it before!
I was surprised to hear the Dies Irae in HoMM3 when I played it again some weeks ago!
Old 02-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #10

Thanks for the replies and interest!

I might upload the video without the introduction (= gregorian chant + berlioz + shining), only the game excerpts, maybe it would be visible everywhere? Can you btw view the video description/comments in Germany or is it completely blocked?

Meanwhile you can enjoy Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis excerpt here. If my memory serves me right it is played in the
Spoiler:
final room before it is activated or the 2nd last room.

Last edited by BlueMeeple; 02-12-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #11

It's completely blocked. Otherwise, thanks!
Old 02-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #12
I changed my title

Plays in Israel.

Great work collecting these!
Old 02-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #13

Yeah! My video is finally starting to bear fruit: I got a new example in a private youtube message.

EverQuest II - Dies Irae (at 0:00)