You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Double Fine looking for help funding new adventure game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #1

Default Double Fine looking for help funding new adventure game

Double Fine just started up a kickstarter project (crowd sourced funding) to make a new point-and-click adventure game. It's going to be made by a small team under Tim Schafer. It sounds like the game is coming to PCs and also touch devices. My guess is this is the game that Ron Gilbert is working on that was teased awhile back.

This is really exciting for me. I've enjoyed every single Double Fine game with the exception of the ones released for Kinect, which I don't have. I really can't wait to see what they come up with. This is the best news I've seen in awhile.

If you want to be part of this you can contribute here. By funding the project you get a copy of the game on Steam, access to a beta, a video of the making of the game, and maybe more depending on how much you pay.

Last edited by louiedog; 02-08-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
Ace Attorney

Send a message via AIM to shezcrafti

LOL I was just coming here to post this news & you beat me to the punch.

Kotaku has more info: The Creators of Monkey Island & Day of the Tentacle Want to Make Another Old-School Adventure Game

Do you want Jane Jensen to make more amazing adventure games like Gabriel Knight and Gray Matter? Then PLEASE support her new studio Pinkerton Road on KickStarter!
Old 02-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
MoP
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Pledge $150,000 or more:
Tim Schafer (that’s me) will give last four remaining Triangle Boxed Day of the Tentacles, in original shrink-wrap.” (Limit of 1) (Holy crap, what am I thinking? I only have four of those!)
Hmm, let's see, which organ(s) could I sell...
Old 02-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoP View Post
Hmm, let's see, which organ(s) could I sell...
I was just reading that and came to post it. I'd be afraid to own it until I can have a home built around a very large safe. The $50k to be a character in the game is pretty sweet as well.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
Schattenjäger

holey moley awesome
Old 02-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #6

I'm thinking this will most likely soar past the goal. It went from 30k to 60k in less than an hour.
As a young boy, when you get splashed by a mud puddle on the way to school, you wonder if you should go home and change, but be late for school, or go to school the way you are; dirty and soaking wet. Well, while he tried to decide, I drove by and splashed him again.
- Jack Handey
Old 02-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #7

So...you can only pay with credit card? Too bad, I really want to contribute!
Old 02-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
Senior *female* member

Soar past the goal is the understatement of the year! They will have reached the 400,000 in a couple of hours. Holy cow, this is truly awsome to watch.

EDIT: already over one hundred thousand, 20-30 pledges per minute... where will it end?

Last edited by Fien; 02-08-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
Schattenjäger

this is the first time iv bought a game without knowing the title yet
Old 02-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #10

This is AMAZING!!! INGENIOUS!!! Publishers are hesitant to fund adventure game projects because they feel there is no market for them... so Schaefer takes the funding to the fans!!! I love it. We now have the ability to contribute up front to keeping our favorite genre alive! I mean, I would have bought the game when it came out anyway, so why not pay out in advance to help ensure it's completion. We get to make a statement at the same time... the ADVENTURE LIVES!!! I will be pledging $100 and hope I can afford to do more before March 13th!!

Thank you Double Fine!!!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #11
Schattenjäger

from tim's twitter: "Holy smokes, we just hit $100k!!! I think that's higher than the budget of Monkey Island! Adventure gaaaaaaames!!!"
Old 02-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #12

The speed of contributions is truly insane! I guess I don't have to feel bad for not being able to contribute, though I really would like the extras...hm, well, at least I'll get to play the game when it's done!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:41 PM   #13

I've now watched the presentation video on the kickstarter page twice. It's pure magic.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #14
Schattenjäger

Wow, i didnt notice there was a video before. Thats hilarious.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #15
MoP
Comfortably Numb

They're gonna have a lot of feedback-from-backers-listening to do.
Oh, and looks like someone's going to lunch with Tim and Ron.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #16
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I didn't even have to think twice about donating $20 for this, what a brilliant idea. Thank god for things like Steam and Kickstarter for making it possible to now do stuff like this.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 02-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #17
Senior Automaton

I would have liked some details on what they had in mind other than just a 'point and click adventure'. There are dozens of those produced every year - what will make Double Fine's game special? Schafer and Gilbert are talented, we know that, but it seems presumptuous that their game will automatically transcend the other output from other companies making adventures. All developers are capable of producing stinkers.

I also can't say I'm interested in the film documentary and disliked the way it was portrayed as a kind of gift for us audiences, rather than more publicity for them at our expense.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #18
Schattenjäger

^I dunno, if youre a fan of tim schafer and the things doublefine has done, you feel like you dont need more details at this point.
But this is probably concept art for the game: http://grumpygamer.com/5694081
Old 02-08-2012, 10:52 PM   #19
Headbanger

Finally!!!
Old 02-08-2012, 11:00 PM   #20
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
what will make Double Fine's game special? Schafer and Gilbert are talented, we know that, but it seems presumptuous that their game will automatically transcend the other output from other companies making adventures. All developers are capable of producing stinkers.
What makes it special? THIS IS AN ADVENTURE GAME MADE BY THE PEOPLE WHO CREATED AND PERFECTED THE GENRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If there's one adventure game that deserves unquestionable blind enthusiasm, this is it. Ron Gilbert's Maniac Mansion pretty much defined what point and click adventures are, and as if laying the groundwork for the entire genre wasn't enough, he also led the design for the unquestionably brilliant first two Monkey Island games. Tim Schafer picked up exactly where he left off and made classics like Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandago, which itself is arguably the greatest adventure game ever made. These men aren't simply 'talented', they are without a doubt the top tier of adventure game designers. There is none higher. If you can't get excited by the thought of the pioneers of the genre making a new game together, without any restrictions brought on by a publisher, then I don't know if the adventure genre is capable of producing anything that will ever satisfy you again.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing