You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure 2011 Aggie Awards big letdown!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #21
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shany View Post
I'm also slightly annoyed at the double nominations of characters from Portal 2 and Book of Unwritten Tales. It just seems unfair somehow (and I adored both GlaDos and Wheatley, I just feel like there should be a choice of only one).
They aren't pairs. They just share the same game so they're listed on the same line together.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #22
Filmfreak

Does that mean that one of them could win seperately?
For instance GLaDos taking the award but not Wheatley?
Old 02-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #23

I was a bit underwhelmed by the nominations, but then when I started replying to the poll I realised that there were several categories (including Best Writing (Drama) and Best Music) for which I couldn't think of a single game that I wanted to win. Admittedly, I have yet to play LA Noire, To the Moon and BoUT, so maybe I've missed some good stuff, but the poll made me realise that, apart from Ghost Trick and Portal 2 which were both superb, 2011 was a rather lacklustre year. Hopefully 2012 will be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
They aren't pairs. They just share the same game so they're listed on the same line together.
So then, why is the Best Character category the only one with 7 nominations instead of 5?
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]

Last edited by Kurufinwe; 02-07-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #24
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
Does that mean that one of them could win seperately?
For instance GLaDos taking the award but not Wheatley?
Yep, that's exactly what it means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe
So then, why is the Best Character category the only one with 7 nominations instead of 5?
Well, it was still five games total, same as every other category. And of the seven characters, I think four were tied with the same number of nominations.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #25
Dreamfall Soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
I have played only 5,5 games of the 67 ones on the AG list, and I would find it very hard to put those 5 or 6 in 17 categories. I'm not going to try.

How many games have others played?
I've played 15 (I didn't realize I played that many games last year) of them:

Back to the Future
Black Mirror III
Blackwell Deception
Blue Madonna
Book of Unwritten Tales
Drawn: Trail of the Shadows
Edna & Harvey (my game of the year)
Goin' Downtown
Gray Matter
Jurassic Park
LA Noire
Nancy Drew: Captive Curse
Nancy Drew: Alibi in Ashes
NCIS (Terrible)
The Next BIG Thing

Plus I have 3 more (Gemini Rue, A New Beginning, and Portal 2) that I have purchased but haven't had a chance to play yet.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #26
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
All this complaining...

The only thing in the Aggie nominations I don't agree with is the omission of To the Moon for Best Music. That's it.

The Aggies are just fine the way they are...
It was there on my ballot, and that's how I voted.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:55 PM   #27
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Mundane eh, (...).
Ew, overwrought comes to mind.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
I have played only 5,5 games of the 67 ones on the AG list, and I would find it very hard to put those 5 or 6 in 17 categories. I'm not going to try.

How many games have others played?

I've played, or should I say, 've finished 11 out of those 67.

Book of Unwritten Tales
The Next Big Thing
Trauma
Edna & Harvey
Gray Matter
Blackwell Deception
A Stroke of Fate
Black Mirror 3
A New Beginning
Gemini Rue
Alpha Polaris

LA Noire I'm still playing.

And 3 other games I simply quit without finishing...

Dead's Mountaineer Hotel
Baron Wittard
Relics Dark Hours (worst game for me this year)

Ok, lets see if I can hand out awards with just the above selection.

Best Story: Gemini Rue
Best Writing Drama: Gray Matter
Best Writing Comecy: Edna & Harvey
Best Character: emmm.....ok, the Bilbo lookalike in Book of Unwritten Tales
Best Gameplay: Book of Unwritten Tales
Best Concept: LA Noire
Best Setting: A New Beginning
Best Graphic Design: LA Noire
Best Animation: LA Noire
Best Music: Gray Matter
Best Voice Acting: Book of Unwritten Tales
Best Sound Effects: LA Noire
Best Independent Adventure: Gemini Rue
Best Non-Traditional Adventure: LA Noire
Best Traditional Adventure: Book of Unwritten Tales
Best Adventure of 2011: emmmmm.... LA Noire (5 awards) vs. Book of Unwritten Tales (4 wards)..... HELL NO.... I'm giving it to A NEW BEGINNING

Top 10 adventure games: Black Dahlia, Grim Fandango, Heavy Rain, Broken Sword Shadow of Templars, Gabriel Knight 2 The Beast Within, Still Life, Last Express, Sanitarium, 7th Guest, Zork Nemesis
Old 02-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #29

I only played four games this year (Book of Unwritten Tales, Next BIG Thing, A New Beginning and Blackwell Deception) but one of those (A New Beginning) was a serious let down and in my book is not deserving of any price. Another one(BOUT) however was so great I'd award it at least half the prices to be won this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shany View Post
I'm slightly annoyed at the double nominations of characters from Portal 2 and Book of Unwritten Tales. It just seems unfair somehow (and I adored both GlaDos and Wheatley, I just feel like there should be a choice of only one).
Don't know about portal but with BOUT I think it was really unecessary: Critter wipes the floor with poor Willbur.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #30
lost in rubacava

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray pierce View Post
...(A New Beginning) was a serious let down and in my book is not deserving of any price. Another one(BOUT) however was so great I'd award it at least half the prices to be won this year.

Totally agree.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #31

A New Beginning a letdown??? even though the game is not a masterpiece and has quite a few problem areas, it's by no way a letdown and it's still my favorite for the year...

Top 10 adventure games: Black Dahlia, Grim Fandango, Heavy Rain, Broken Sword Shadow of Templars, Gabriel Knight 2 The Beast Within, Still Life, Last Express, Sanitarium, 7th Guest, Zork Nemesis
Old 02-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #32
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Can you believe that,The Book of Unwritten Tales not nominated for best setting and best graphic design features?But instead there are games like BTTF and Ghost Trick unbelievable!
I wouldn't have nominated it for either.

Best setting? A generic mix-and-match fantasy world. No thanks. Baron Wittard had a far more imaginative setting and wasn't nominated in any category. Even Gray Matter was more original than BOUT, a university in a small town isn't a common game setting.

Best graphic design? Borrows graphic style from just about every fantasy book, movie and game out there. It didn't have a style it could call its own.

The only thing I would have nominated BOUT for is sound - the voices were quite good. Otherwise it was a decidedly average game in all aspects.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #33
lost in rubacava

One thing I don't understand is why Stacking was included. It isn't even out for PC yet as far as I know, so a lot of people haven't played it and can't really have an opinion about it unless they'd vote for or against it based on what they can find on YouTube.

Btw, Baron Wittard was nominated in several categories.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:59 PM   #34
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray pierce View Post
I only played four games this year (Book of Unwritten Tales, Next BIG Thing, A New Beginning and Blackwell Deception) but one of those (A New Beginning) was a serious let down and in my book is not deserving of any price. Another one(BOUT) however was so great I'd award it at least half the prices to be won this year.
Didn't like either game, but at least A New Beginning had a point to it - saving the world from a serious current politically-relevant issue VS a directionless, mindless and silly fantasy world.

BOUT was entertaining but it never strives to do anything more ambitious, while ANB did.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:18 AM   #35
Schättenjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Even Gray Matter was more original than BOUT, a university in a small town isn't a common game setting.
If you think a university in a small town have better adventure setting
than back of a dragon,a fortunetellers camp, a mage school,an airship and a monster's stomach that's your prerogative.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:09 AM   #36

Portal 2 is so winning in any categories it's nominated in... Altho I personally do not consider it as an AG. Great game, tho.

I didn't quite follow the traditional vs non-traditional thing. Are you going to pick winners from each? That is better and should end the flaming

Edit: I just browsed through the nominees, and I have to admit I'm majorly dissapointed as well. Hardly any point & clicks, mostly casual games.. wow. What's happened to the industry?

Last edited by ohyesIdid; 02-08-2012 at 03:23 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:12 AM   #37
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimless View Post
Btw, Baron Wittard was nominated in several categories.
Which ones? I don't see it in any of the categories, except for adventure of the year - for which I'll seriously consider voting for the game.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:34 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther10 View Post
A New Beginning a letdown??? even though the game is not a masterpiece and has quite a few problem areas, it's by no way a letdown and it's still my favorite for the year...
I suppose it depends on what you expect before playing. I guess if you expect it to be just a fun little adventure you'll be very satisfied. However I thought I was going ot play a really mature game with a lot op depth which it isn't in any way. I think if they would've developed the story a bit better and got some professional writers on board it could've been really good. But now it just felt like a childrensadventure that tried to be mature but failed at every step.

Don't get me wrong games don't have to be mature for me to like them. BOUT wasn't very mature either but it didn't pretend to be. They presented it as a grand adventure with wonderful characters and laugh out loud moments at very step. And that's exactly what it is imo.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:48 AM   #39

I would personally call A New Beginning a solid adventure game. I liked it but it wasn't the best ever... At least I actually finished it! lol However, looking at the nominees that are on that list... A New Beginning is far superior to most of them.

Was it really that bad year for "traditional adventures"?

Last edited by ohyesIdid; 02-08-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:58 AM   #40
lost in rubacava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Which ones? I don't see it in any of the categories, except for adventure of the year - for which I'll seriously consider voting for the game.
Baron Wittard is on every drop down menu they could put it on. I don't know how you're missing it unless they arranged for us to get different ballots.