You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure A Developers Poll ...

View Poll Results: Which is the the developer you trust?, your choice/taste
Deck13 3 7.32%
City Interactive 4 9.76%
Telltale Games 14 34.15%
Wadjet Eye Games 15 36.59%
Kheops Studio 6 14.63%
Pendulo Studios 11 26.83%
Daedalic Entertainment 17 41.46%
Cranberry Production 3 7.32%
Her Interactive 2 4.88%
Future Games 1 2.44%
Darkling Room 9 21.95%
Amanita Design 14 34.15%
Microids 5 12.20%
Autumn Moon Entertainment 1 2.44%
Revolution 6 14.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
Advie.1

Default A Developers Poll ...

Hi AG's ,There are some elements that make you trust a game before buying it, these might be a review a good rate or even a comment.but i think (for me) one thing is for granted ; the developer name/logo, YES it is , nowadays some people can go for telltale or Deck13 or maybe Kheops or Wadjet Eye ...etc .. its ENDLESS!.
There was a time when Sierra or LucasArts logo on any game was enough and that was even before the Internet and mass media ratings and reviews.
(i know) and you can not put your fingers Now on All of them , as some developers had one game (like Neverhood) or maybe a certain serial (like Cyan) but there are at least 10-15 trust worthy Developers now ,which you can buy their games with eyes closed.

apologies for all those who would see this poll unfair,but i made this Poll only with my point of view, upon gathering the developers that i see :
1. have a lot of products .
2. their games always are hits.
3. they have a sort of trusty standard .

P.S:Again i know this Poll can not gather all the developers out there, but its just a try and i selected Developers upon which are still running (there are no Sierra ,No Lucasarts ...etc)

Last edited by Adventurere No.1; 01-15-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #2

Sadly only Amanita as far as quality and taste is concerned, though I know what I get from most of those listed above.
I'll wait what Revolution does with BS5.

I think Microids as such are dead. I don't think they will actually release Syberia 3 and I certainly don't trust "Microids" with it.

You could possibly add Animation Arts, Wadjeteye and Quantic Dream if that's still possible.
(But no sweat, it's your list and you have to draw the line somewhere.)
Old 01-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
Advie.1

Wadjeteye is here already, and yes maybe i can remove Micorids and replace it by Animation Arts , but that not optional with Polls, once you made 'em you stick to them..
thanks friend
Old 01-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #4

That's an interesting question. It's true that sometimes I know I'll buy any game by a certain company, because I trust them and want to support them.

That was definitely the case with Kheops, because they went into a coma. They've had their ups and downs, I guess, but I'd buy any new game from them without hesitation.

That also used to be the case with Telltale — even more strongly, actually. Until not long ago, I would pre-order any game they announced, because I knew I'd probably like it, and I wanted to support them anyway... And then Back to the Future happened and sent every last bit of goodwill I had toward the company crashing into a wall at 88 mph. Call me weird, but I can live with a disappointing game from time to time, but not with a game constantly giving me the finger.

Of all the companies you list, I guess I sort of trust Amanita after Machinarium, and I'll probably buy their next game.

Frogwares's not on the list, but I guess they could be. After two very solid Holmes games, I'll definitely buy the next one — though that trust might not extend to non-Holmes-related stuff from them, so I guess the company's name is not enough for me yet.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 01-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
Advie.1

Kurufinwe , the AG's poll system gives maximum 15 option , that is why you will find lots of great developers not listed .. 20 would have been fair enough.
you didnt make your choice at the poll. you mentioned Amanita Design hadnt you?!
Old 01-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #6

Sorry about Wadjet, I'm obviously blind.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:20 PM   #7
Senior Automaton

I don't think I trust any of them. They've all put out good games (well, i'll start playing HER Interactive when we get a HIM Interactive ) but also put out bad ones. However, I put Amanita and Darkling Room because although I would not blindly buy any of their games without researching and checking reviews, I will always check out what they have to offer, just like Frogwares. But when they put out stuff like 80 Days, I'm skeptical.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:35 AM   #8
Filmfreak

I have played far too little recent adventure games to have a decent opinion on this. For that same reason there's not really a company yet that I trust enough to blindly buy their next game.

Well, maybe that's a lie: everything Kan Gao releases with his FreeBirdGames is something that will be front and center on my gaming radar. To the Moon was that impressive (and the free games on the site were quality too).

But other than that, I still want to read reviews and hear other people's opinions first, before deciding if I'd like a game or not.

The only exceptions to that rule for me are LucasArts (back in the day), and BioWare now. But BioWare makes RPGs, so it's not even in the same genre...
Old 01-17-2012, 02:12 AM   #9
Advie.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
I have played far too little recent adventure games to have a decent opinion on this. For that same reason there's not really a company yet that I trust enough to blindly buy their next game.
and said later LucasArts .. i double that and add to them sierra and Cyan and wadjateye and Amanita ... long list.. so strange you dont see some developers who always tend to obtain a certain standard .
Old 01-17-2012, 05:53 AM   #10

The only development company I trust blindly at the moment is Animation Arts but that's not an option. Still thought I'd let you know. Maybe if you'll ever make a similar poll you can include them.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #11

I dont think there is a studio I'd buy from blindly without reading reviews.

I marked Wadget Eye & Amanita, because what I've played from them has been good so far.

Telltale is still on the radar, even though I gave Back to the Future a pass (from the reviews). I still have high hopes for the Kings Quest series they are working on.

Unfortunately, for some unknown reason, most of the European studios (Daedalic/Deck13 etc) are not on Steam... I have no idea why they would want to skip on being part of a global distribution platform.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #12
Advie.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddhi View Post
most of the European studios (Daedalic/Deck13 etc) are not on Steam... I have no idea why they would want to skip on being part of a global distribution platform.
well i am not sure about Daedalic but as for Deck13 i guess their behavior is much noticed for having a German release 1st and then taking their (Long) while
to release a Global or an English one and i think that is due to some kind marketing and popularity issues which are so obvious , i kinda hate it i must admit ,....how long have we ve been waiting for Haunted or how long more we will be waiting for Black Sails or Jack keane 2 which is the same behavior with their previous releases such Ankh Trilogy and Jack keane 1 !

and @ gray pierce ,i knew that 15 choices were not enough to cover all the good developers out there from the begining , and i know this Poll is not really fair as i also love Animation Arts but whats done is done!, maybe someone can repeat this poll or maybe the people of AG can give us more choices for one Poll...but thanks all for marking here
Old 01-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #13
Myst-loving person

I chose Darkling Room, for a couple of reasons.

For one thing, I consistently enjoy the games Darkling Room produces. I find they have high production quality, and interesting plots and challenges.

At least as important in why I made that choice, though, is that Darkling Room has consistently provided me with excellent customer service. I've always gotten a fast personal response when I've asked them a question, and the one time I had a problem with a game - even though it was my own mistake that caused it - they made it right for me without any runaround.

Knowing that if I have an issue, it is likely to be resolved quickly and easily with them, makes me very comfortable with buying their products again in the future.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:53 AM   #14

have to choose amanita,

without machinarium, i prob woulnd't be on this forum. (i was too young/dumb to pay attention to AGs until this game). since then i have really gone back and discovered what is now my favourite genre overall.

i will buy anything they put out without fail.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:31 AM   #15
Schättenjager

Adventurerere No.1 how can you forgot KING Art Games my vote goes to them!
Old 01-23-2012, 08:44 AM   #16
Advie.1

sorry Gabe ,but say this to the lack of choices at AG's poll system, i can only select 15 (Max) in any poll ...
Old 01-27-2012, 12:51 AM   #17
keyboard lurker

I'd say Telltale is one of the most trusted companies in the list.

Sam & Max seasons totally rocked, Tales of MI seemed quite decent (especially regarding the heavy inheritance) and other releases like Puzzle Quest and Hector were surprisingly fun.

I didn't try Jurassic park though

(Apart from the list, Cyan is/was the one and only )
Old 01-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #18
Schattenjäger

Wow, did someone seriously vote for City Interactive?
Favorite games: Gabriel Knight series, Heavy Rain, Tex Murphy series, The Last Express, King's Quest 6 Phantasmagoria 1 and 2, The Lost Crown, Tender Loving Care, Blade Runner, Quest for Glory 4, Overclocked, The Dig, Dreamfall...
Old 01-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #19
SCUMMBAG

Wadjet Eye for me, no doubt. Dave Gilbert interacts with the people who play his games and actually seems to take their opinions into account. I loved the Blackwell games, specially the second one.

I like Telltale but they seem to be picking up a lot of franchises that are uninteresting to me (Jurassic Park, cartoony Law & Order, Back to the Future).
Old 02-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackVanian View Post
Wow, did someone seriously vote for City Interactive?
I didn't, but you know what you're going to get from them.

Wadjet Eye, Kheops, and Darkling Room for me.