You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure AG Community Playthrough - Discworld Noir

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #81
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
does anyone else find sapphire oddly sexy?
Name:  Jesus.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  30.1 KB
Old 01-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #82

Spoiler-ish pic concerning missing dwarf in Act 2:

Spoiler:
I tried to be a smart-ass here, and see if i can "break" the game's "logic" (i tend to do that occasionally ). I showed the red piece of cloth from the bridge to the count before telling him anything about the accident, to see if i can catch the game into "trap". As you can see, it stood my test. I may have lost the battle...

And another bridge quote:

Last edited by diego; 01-21-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #83

Got really stuck at the start of Act II, when it turns out there are some small pixels you have to click on in the murder scene *facepalm* could barely see some of those things in the dark.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:48 PM   #84

Ready for Act III. The game has taken a very interesting turn. I am not very familiar with the Discworld novels and haven't played the other two games, but Pratchett has a really nice balance of noir and humor here.

I had a feeling Carlotta
Spoiler:
was using Lewton to accomplish a larger goal. I have no idea about the greater importance of the sword, other than being extremely valuable. Plus we're still not sure who the murderer is, but I'm counting on Carlotta.

Also, poor
Spoiler:
Malachite.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 01-22-2012, 02:43 AM   #85

Just reached Act III, there was a major twist towards the end which caught me by surprise. I got stuck and had to refer to a walkthrough a few times during the playthrough, it was a long one and the list of places to visit and people to talk to grows this time through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inm8#2 View Post
Also, poor
Spoiler:
Malachite.
I know, I'm kind of sad that we never really get to resolve the

Spoiler:
Therma case.

I laughed out loud in a few places, am really enjoying the Prattchen humour. Also in this Act we really begin to see one of the more cynical side of Lewton.

Does anyone else find Nobby's voice creepy? Something about it just sends shivers down my spine.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:58 AM   #86
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
I got stuck and had to refer to a walkthrough a few times during the playthrough
One of the good sides of community playthroughs is that one can always ask his/her fellow players for help . Why didn't you do so (I bet we could offer you a more subtle hints than a walkthrough, even more than an UHS hints file)?
Quote:
in this Act we really begin to see one of the more cynical side of Lewton.
I believe ALL Lewton's sides are equally (meaning 'massively') cynical (thank God!).
Old 01-22-2012, 04:26 AM   #87

^Simply put, I wanted a quick solution because I couldn't wait to see what happened next. I'm in Australia so usually I would have to wait overnight or so before any replies Although I did stumble upon the UHS hints which I preferred over the walkthrough (can't stand it when you see something that you shouldn't have which ruins the experience). But I'll do that next time, thanks for the heads up!

Oops, that's what happens when I don't proof my sentence beforehand! lol
Old 01-22-2012, 06:52 AM   #88
Senior *female* member

I've run into problems... sigh. Problems I do not recall having the first time. I'm on CD2 and when I start the game with CD2 in the drive I get thrown back to the desktop. So yesterday I started CD1 and clicked New Game (Resume Game didn't work ), clicked Escape to skip the intro, pressed F1 to load a game, changed the CDs and it worked. But today it doesn't. Huh? When I sit through the intro and press F1, the "load" bar is not accessible.

I want to finish lovely but buggy Discworld Noir! Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:21 AM   #89
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetDalilah View Post
Dusty, I want to hear your comments about the game too. Don't make me say it again.
Erm... I don't really know what to say that hasn't already been said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
I've run into problems... sigh. Problems I do not recall having the first time. I'm on CD2 and when I start the game with CD2 in the drive I get thrown back to the desktop. So yesterday I started CD1 and clicked New Game (Resume Game didn't work ), clicked Escape to skip the intro, pressed F1 to load a game, changed the CDs and it worked. But today it doesn't. Huh? When I sit through the intro and press F1, the "load" bar is not accessible.

I want to finish lovely but buggy Discworld Noir! Any help would be much appreciated.
I'm afraid all I can suggest (and I'm sure others will too) is that you download a No-CD patch - it will bypass the disk changes and should bypass the crashes too.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 01-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #90
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by fien View Post
i've run into problems... Sigh. Problems i do not recall having the first time. I'm on cd2 and when i start the game with cd2 in the drive i get thrown back to the desktop. So yesterday i started cd1 and clicked new game (resume game didn't work ), clicked escape to skip the intro, pressed f1 to load a game, changed the cds and it worked. But today it doesn't. Huh? When i sit through the intro and press f1, the "load" bar is not accessible.
Name:  Don't know nothing 2.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  16.7 KB
Old 01-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #91
The Quiet One

One of my favorite quotes from the game:

Lewton: "'Pessimism' is a term used by optimists to attempt to discredit those who see the world as it really is."

You're damn right, Lewton!
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 01-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #92
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

I'm actually into Act III right now, had to play past the CD swap since I'll be a bit busy this week with certain festivities.

Yes, zobraks, Lewton finding out about the Count's missing companion is what was I referring to earlier (I skipped this entirely during the current playthrough since I knew Lewton wouldn't make much headway investigating this new mystery until Act II). Also, depending on the order of the player's actions in Act I, Lewton can obtain the grappling hook in two different ways.

Some more quotes from Act I that made me chuckle:

Mankin: Say, I do like your hard-boiled dialogue. How long do you boil it?
Lewton: About twelve minutes from when the water begins to bubble.

Lewton (wondering if Sapphire had lied to him): Lies flow like water, but the truth burns. Hmm, that's not a bad line. I'd better write that down.

Commander Vimes is portrayed very differently than in the Discworld novels; the normally upstanding but unambitious former captain of the Watch was changed to fit the conniving, corrupt police official type sometimes seen in noir films. I felt this radical change in characterization was a bit jarring, so I wonder how Terry Pratchett felt about this! (Trivia: Vimes later married Lady Sybil Ramkin, the swamp dragon breeder seen in the first Discworld game.)

Lewton mentions the city burning down during the last visit by a foreigner; this is a reference to the events in The Colour of Magic. The inclusion of Two Conkers in DN is definitely a nod to Twoflower, the Discworld's first tourist, also from the Agatean Empire. Malaclypse mentions "inn-sewer-ants" in Act II, which of course is another reference to Twoflower, who worked as an "inn-sewer-ants" clerk.

Say, did anyone else notice the two paintings above Nobby at Pseudopolis Yard? Do you recognize them?
Old 01-22-2012, 11:32 PM   #93

I shouldn't have attempted to take on all of Act II in one setting. This thing is huge! Got through it, of course - but, man, whenever I thought the next act was coming up, the game just keeps on going!

My notes from this Act:

-The biggest thing that really got in my way were all the pixel-hunting puzzles in the dark. I even turned up the gamma just to see if I could spot these things to no avail. A lot of these backgrounds are perfect black (my matte painting teacher would go medieval on DN's background artist.)

-The interrogation scene is hilarious. LONG, but hilarious. Best game of Good Cop/Good Cop ever.

-CRACK IN THE WALL. AUGH. PIXEL-HUNTING. DARK BACKGROUND.

-New Favorite Character: Gable. "That's okay! We're none of us perfect!" Such a great upbeat attitude for a gargoyle.

-Got the crowbar again... I have a feeling this is a game bug. When I use it on the vases, he comments on how I shouldn't have it unless I'm a play-tester or hacked the game.

END OF CHAPTER
Spoiler:
-Aha! I knew we'd come back to this scene! Discword always replays the intro halfway through!

-AWESOME TWIST. Man, gotta wait another week now! Want play more!

I'm starting to develop some theories on this case. I'm throwing up the spoiler tags in case I guess anything right, but I thought I'd share it in case it amuses anyone who already knows whodunnit. (Don't tell me if I'm right or wrong, of course!)

My theory on the case to come
Spoiler:
is that I guess is that there's two killers. The Counterweight Killer and the Beast aren't the same person. The Beast is obviously a werewolf and came in from the boat, narrowing it down to two suspects. And I'm guessing that the Beast turned Lewton into a werewolf in order to save his life after being stabbed - placing Isla as the Beast. This also gives me reason to believe that Isla is also Therma, since no one trustworthy ever specified that Therma was a troll. As far as the rest goes, I'm still stumped on who's the Counterweight Killer, and what's Isla's connection to Malachite.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:57 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datadog View Post
-The biggest thing that really got in my way were all the pixel-hunting puzzles in the dark. I even turned up the gamma just to see if I could spot these things to no avail. A lot of these backgrounds are perfect black (my matte painting teacher would go medieval on DN's background artist.)
This. I spent quite a few hours going through every dialogue option with every character and turned out that wasn't even the solution

Did anyone else miss the Laredo Cronk parody? I knew she looked familiar and I didn't get it until later XD
Old 01-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #95
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Did anyone else miss the Laredo Cronk parody? I knew she looked familiar and I didn't get it until later XD
Old 01-23-2012, 01:10 AM   #96

It took me awhile to figure out the Hiding Place puzzle, namely that I could
Spoiler:
load the notebook on the map and click the topic on all the hotspots to get Lewton's thoughts.

I haven't spent too much time cross-referencing items in the notebook. I thought I might have to do it more frequently to actually solve puzzles or enable new topics, but still the notebook serves a great purpose in organizing information and guiding the conversations.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 01-23-2012, 01:20 AM   #97
UnseenUniversity Graduate

Sorry I haven't been here, I've had a lot of problems with the power going off, and my internet is sporadic due to a messed up phone line. Add that to a load of extra work and it means no game time ( Hope you guys are having fun!
Old 01-23-2012, 02:21 AM   #98

Quote:
That was a pretty random cameo. I mean, practically every other character is right out of classic film noire movies... and then Tomb Raider shows up. I guess she was just topical at the time.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:51 AM   #99
Senior *female* member

Yeah, I agree. chatterbox Lara feels out of place, all the more so since she is the upward nubile tomb evacuator and the focus of the fantasy of a thousand post-pubescent adolescents. She's got nothing to say or add. Unlike Sapphire. Unlike the great Malachite, who passed away far too soon.

It sometimes feels like the characters are straight from the Maltese Falcon. I'd forgotten all about troll Jasper, who is of course the spitting image of Kasper Gutman, the fat man. Including his lines about not trusting a man who...

BTW, thanks Dusty. I got the game working again. Don't know for how long though. I'm no techie. Two Conkers puts it so well... to be knowing is not the me I am in.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:22 AM   #100
an angel of romance

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
Spoiler-ish pic concerning missing dwarf in Act 2:

Spoiler:
I tried to be a smart-ass here, and see if i can "break" the game's "logic" (i tend to do that occasionally ). I showed the red piece of cloth from the bridge to the count before telling him anything about the accident, to see if i can catch the game into "trap". As you can see, it stood my test. I may have lost the battle...
He he he, well I did something similar
Spoiler:
I showed the Count the red piece of cloth before I found Regin's body, and I did get the response from the Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyShinigami View Post
Erm... I don't really know what to say that hasn't already been said.
Oh well you could comment on the Act II. If you join a playthrough, you should be able to share your opinion too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyShinigami View Post
One of my favorite quotes from the game:

Lewton: "'Pessimism' is a term used by optimists to attempt to discredit those who see the world as it really is."
Oh yes, I liked that one too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkyo View Post
I'm actually into Act III right now, had to play past the CD swap since I'll be a bit busy this week with certain festivities.
Oh you little demon cheater Just kidding I actually played a little into Act III too, since it asked me for CD 2, and after seeing the "new abilities" Lewton had, I just couldn't resist

Quote:
Some more quotes from Act I that made me chuckle:

Mankin: Say, I do like your hard-boiled dialogue. How long do you boil it?
Lewton: About twelve minutes from when the water begins to bubble.

Lewton (wondering if Sapphire had lied to him): Lies flow like water, but the truth burns. Hmm, that's not a bad line. I'd better write that down.
Nice catch Trunk I didn't even got to see those

Quote:
Lewton mentions the city burning down during the last visit by a foreigner; this is a reference to the events in The Colour of Magic. The inclusion of Two Conkers in DN is definitely a nod to Twoflower, the Discworld's first tourist, also from the Agatean Empire. Malaclypse mentions "inn-sewer-ants" in Act II, which of course is another reference to Twoflower, who worked as an "inn-sewer-ants" clerk.
Oh yes, I like how the minor characters in the game tell us about the history of the Discworld and Ankh-Morpork itself, even though I don't understand everything (since I haven't read the books)

Quote:
Say, did anyone else notice the two paintings above Nobby at Pseudopolis Yard? Do you recognize them?
They are from the first 2 Discworld games, I believe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datadog View Post

I'm starting to develop some theories on this case. I'm throwing up the spoiler tags in case I guess anything right, but I thought I'd share it in case it amuses anyone who already knows whodunnit. (Don't tell me if I'm right or wrong, of course!)

My theory on the case to come
Spoiler:
is that I guess is that there's two killers. The Counterweight Killer and the Beast aren't the same person. The Beast is obviously a werewolf and came in from the boat, narrowing it down to two suspects. And I'm guessing that the Beast turned Lewton into a werewolf in order to save his life after being stabbed - placing Isla as the Beast. This also gives me reason to believe that Isla is also Therma, since no one trustworthy ever specified that Therma was a troll. As far as the rest goes, I'm still stumped on who's the Counterweight Killer, and what's Isla's connection to Malachite.
He he, well I have a whole different theory, that may be more likely, but I'm not sure if it's completely correct. I'll share it later

More comments on Act II coming tonight
Adventure games are like stories, they always have that special character who has to deal with misfortunes and get to the top. So if you don't play adventure games how will you write your own life story?

Currently playing: Minecraft, Hollywood Monsters

Recently finished: Discworld Noir playthrough