You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure AG Community Playthrough - Discworld Noir

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #21
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetDalilah View Post
I'm so sorry to hear that Dusty. On what Windows are you running the game? You see, what you might have tried is load the game again (using F1) and then change to windowed mode ( Alt + Enter) and whait for the cutscene to pass, and then change it back to fullscreen. But now, since you can't start the game at all I really have no idea how to help you If you are running the game on XP, be sure to look at this thread, you might find some solution
I'm using XP, which is why I find it strange - it never happened on my old XP machine. It might have something to do with it being the original boxed copy version. My last copy was the Infogrames DVD case release...

But don't worry, I can get the game to load - I just have to put the no-cd patch back; it's only when it isn't installed that it won't load up at all.

But thanks SweetD and diego, I'll follow those links and try again. I'll also give the fullscreen/windowed mode a go...
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 01-13-2012, 08:17 AM   #22
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonez View Post
Like Dusty I just simply cannot get my copy of the game to work! It's a shame because it's bloody great! I'm on a Win 7 (64) machine with 8Gb (4Gx2 GSkill F3-12800RAM).
If the suggestions made by SweetDalilah don't work, then you should definitely try running it with VirtualPC. Despite what Dusty says, your machine sounds more than capable of running this without it being choppy.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #23
The Quiet One

Woohoo!! It works! Jeppe's solution has worked like a charm! Thank you Jeppe and thank you diego for pointing me in the right direction!

How does the game run for you under VirtualPC, TimovieMan? Games always run poor for me because of the emulated onboard graphics it uses. It never seems to use my actual hardware, which is more than powerful enough.

EDIT: Shit! Looks like it hasn't fixed the problem after all! It was fine the first time...
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour

Last edited by DustyShinigami; 01-13-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:30 AM   #24
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyShinigami View Post
How does the game run for you under VirtualPC, TimovieMan? Games always run poor for me because of the emulated onboard graphics it uses. It never seems to use my actual hardware, which is more than powerful enough.
I'll tell you tomorrow, when I've got the game and have tried it.

If my mate doesn't forget to bring it later tonight. Else he'll be in for a .

Anyway, all games I've tried under VirtualPC have worked smoothly so far. Even those more recent than Discworld Noir...
Maybe because I have the Hardware-assisted Virtualization enabled in the settings???
Old 01-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #25

1st try: Win98 SE on VMware Player: failed to start
2nd try: Win98SE: failed to start
3rd try: Win7 64-bit: Crashes after the intro of Act 1
4th try: WinXP: IT WORKS!!!

I didn't even have to fiddle with it. Just installed it and copied the fixed exe from GCW.

I was about to give it up, but I can finally start
Just bougt: Edna & Harvey, Machinarium, Scratches Director's Cut
Old 01-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #26
-

I've managed to get it working with Virtual PC emulating Windows 98. It wasn't too much of a pain..

There are no voices though, just the music.

I might try my XP machine tomorrow.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:15 AM   #27
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
Maybe because I have the Hardware-assisted Virtualization enabled in the settings???
What's that? Does that enable you to use your actual hardware or something similar?

Anyway, my problems seem to be resolved... for now. Changing my desktop colour to 16-bit, loading the game/saved data up in windowed mode, the switching to fullscreen seemed to do the trick. That particular error I was getting seems more random when using this method. I've managed to reach the beginning of Act II and so far, so good. *Whew*
Old 01-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #28

Quote:
Oh, there is no way to run DN on Windows 7 properly. What you can do is download the no cd patch, and overwrite the file tin3_dxd in the game folder. Then right click on tin3_dxd and press run as administrator. Now the game crashed for me every time after the intro. So the only way it can work is the windowed mode (Alt + Enter) but you first need to change the color of the computer to 16 bit. Here is how.
Thank you for this solution, I did get it running using those instructions on my Win 7 64bit machine What a great game! It's my first time playing it, and the witty dialogue is thoroughly entertaining.

At first, I thought some of the scenes were a little dark and didn't realise until halfway through Act I that you could change the Gamma...just a hint to anyone else experiencing this.

I've completed Act I - can't wait for more of this great game!
Old 01-15-2012, 04:19 AM   #29
Filmfreak

Quote:
What's that? Does that enable you to use your actual hardware or something similar?
I'm not sure, but it *sounds* that way so I thought it would be best to enable it when setting up a VirtualPC...

Anyway, I tried installing it on Vista 64 first. No matter what method I tried (32-bit colours, 16-bit colours, windowed, full screen, original .exe, no-cd crack, etc.), they all resulted in the same: the game opens a blank window and crashes after five seconds.

So I installed in on my VirtualPC with Windows 98. Works like a charm. I've only just started, so it's possible that I'll encounter bugs or crashes here or there (fingers crossed that I don't), but so far I'm in business.
And it's not choppy at all! Yay!

And thanks to diego for letting me know how funny the manual is. I normally just toss the manual aside and just play the game. This one however was hilarious so I took the time to read it thoroughly.

I also love how Terry Pratchett is mentioned in the credits under "Too much interference:".
Old 01-15-2012, 04:39 AM   #30
Senior *female* member

Quote:
I also love how Terry Pratchett is mentioned in the credits under "Too much interference:".
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he dissociate himself from Discworld Noir?
Old 01-15-2012, 05:10 AM   #31
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
I'd be surprised if he did. He wrote the foreword in the manual (2 pages)...
Old 01-15-2012, 05:36 AM   #32

And if you believe to Wikipedia - "Pratchett was consulted on the story and wrote some of the dialogue"

p.s. where is everyone? Fien, zobraks why don't you join the playthrough
Old 01-15-2012, 06:22 AM   #33
The Quiet One

Quote:
I'm not sure, but it *sounds* that way so I thought it would be best to enable it when setting up a VirtualPC...

So I installed in on my VirtualPC with Windows 98. Works like a charm. I've only just started, so it's possible that I'll encounter bugs or crashes here or there (fingers crossed that I don't), but so far I'm in business.
Cool. I think I'll give it another try and see the results. By the way, what are your system specs?

Yeah, where is everyone? There doesn't seem to be much discussion... As I've already said, I'm now at the beginning of Act II, but I'm itching to continue.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:47 AM   #34
an angel of romance

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
Playthrough?! GREAT! Now, my favourite character in this game is Froderick the bat

Mona is also cute with her sweet high-pitched voice and...

(Crowd whispering)

What? Dee-uhh, i-sc... world? No-aah.. r? Discworld Noir?! Well listen here, i wanted A Vampyre Story playthrough, and i'm sure we can all come to an agreement, i mean why don't we play A Vampyre Story now and that other later on. After all, it's winter time and if you would just let me tell you about that lovely snowy landscape..
Nice enterance Name:  noble.gif
Views: 252
Size:  1.1 KB Name:  tongueout.gif
Views: 250
Size:  698 Bytes
Quote:
(Microphone goes off)

Is this on?

(security guys show up) - Ok, let's leave the stage... (dragging sound)
Well looks like they didn't drag you out after all have you paid them off or something. Name:  bandit.gif
Views: 256
Size:  292 Bytes Name:  tongueout.gif
Size:  698 Bytes

Quote:
Well, it seems AVS will have to wait another year or so But that's alright - Discworld Noir is also one of those games i didn't finish (Fien, i see you ) and actually - it was pretty, pretty high on my "to play" list so this seemed like the perfect opportunity. It's just that i didn't want to admit that publicly because i was still leaning more toward the AVS. I started DN last year for the first time, delayed it and was lazy to install it again later on, but now is the right time.
Liar, liar, pants on fire. Name:  tongueout.gif
Size:  698 Bytes I thought you said you weren't going to take part in this one. Since you wanted A Vampire Story so much . Well nice to see you came after all. Name:  aplauz.gif
Views: 247
Size:  2.2 KB

Quote:
I'm a detective buff, even in a more traditional way than noir films, but DN seems like a nice blend of all the stereotypes from Casablanca to Chinatown, and all the PIs in fedora. It seems to be working both as a parody and tribute to those works, but more important - being quite original on its own too. I was among those who were "disappointed" when the game came out as it wasn't all shiny like its predecessors, but was actually surprised to find that the comedic aspect is well-hidden beneath all the dark backgrounds (but i still increased my gamma option slider )
Oh yes DN is a great game, it combines noir films, and Terry Pratchett's great style of writing. Therefore it does serve as both a reference and sometimes as a parody to noir films (I will show these examples later on), and that's why it has the serious tone, but still manages to have funny and sarcastic lines. Name:  aplauz.gif
Views: 247

Quote:
And - DN is a real quote machine - can't remember playing the game where i'd wish every few seconds just to write down the lines. "Pause" button would fit nicely (especially for the "war story" at the beginning with its scrolling speed ) but Alt-Tab does the job, too. Apart from those SD mentioned, my favs so far are:

- Even the rats thought twice before boarding it.

- If you don't pull strings then you're the puppet.

- Carlotta: I don’t know. I never asked about his work and he never told me.
Lewton: Must be a very straightforward relationship.

and the Wharf guy :

- It was more ontological than existential.
I agree with you completely. I wish that I could write down all the quotes that they are saying.
Adventure games are like stories, they always have that special character who has to deal with misfortunes and get to the top. So if you don't play adventure games how will you write your own life story?

Currently playing: Minecraft, Hollywood Monsters

Recently finished: Discworld Noir playthrough

Last edited by SweetDalilah; 01-15-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:09 AM   #35
an angel of romance

Quote:
Anyway, my problems seem to be resolved... for now. Changing my desktop colour to 16-bit, loading the game/saved data up in windowed mode, the switching to fullscreen seemed to do the trick. That particular error I was getting seems more random when using this method. I've managed to reach the beginning of Act II and so far, so good. *Whew*
Wow, so it actually worked? Name:  aplauz.gif
Views: 258

Quote:

Anyway, I tried installing it on Vista 64 first. No matter what method I tried (32-bit colours, 16-bit colours, windowed, full screen, original .exe, no-cd crack, etc.), they all resulted in the same: the game opens a blank window and crashes after five seconds.

I'm glad to see both you and Dusty managed to start the game

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
I'd be surprised if he did. He wrote the foreword in the manual (2 pages)...
Quote:
And if you believe to Wikipedia - "Pratchett was consulted on the story and wrote some of the dialogue"
Oh yes, Terry definitely helped with the story and dialogues in the game Name:  nod.gif
Views: 252
Size:  2.3 KB

Quote:
Fien is taking part in the playthrough, and zobraks: oh well I'm sure he has enough obligations of his own. And he has probably played the game 10 times already so...
Quote:
Yeah, where is everyone? There doesn't seem to be much discussion... As I've already said, I'm now at the beginning of Act II, but I'm itching to continue.
I know how you feel, Dusty. Name:  waiting.gif
Views: 263
Size:  8.3 KB I'd like to talk about Act I too, but many others have only now got the game to work, so we'll have to whait for them to play through the Act I too.
Adventure games are like stories, they always have that special character who has to deal with misfortunes and get to the top. So if you don't play adventure games how will you write your own life story?

Currently playing: Minecraft, Hollywood Monsters

Recently finished: Discworld Noir playthrough
Old 01-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #36
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Fien, zobraks why don't you join the playthrough
Quote:
Fien is taking part in the playthrough, and zobraks: oh well I'm sure he has enough obligations of his own. And he has probably played the game 10 times already so...
I can't speak for Fien , but here's my situation:

I had played DN only ONCE (almost exactly 10 years ago) and have been intending to play it again for a long (too long!) time. I installed it a year and a half ago but then came some other games and I don't play much anyway. Now that the AG playthrough began I have no choice but to play DN (you are going to spoil it for me otherwise since I'm too damn curious to not read the comments ) and I already started (although I had also started playing another title in December ). I'm doing it slowly but surely and won't tell you anything before the deadline (18th of January).

I'll just say that now Discworld Noir is much simpler for me than it was 10 years ago.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:51 AM   #37
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Oh yes, I know that. I'm one hundred percent sure I read that he didn't want to have anything to do with the game *afterward's*. But I can't find the source anymore, and of course I don't know if it's true.

Quote:
Fien! FIEN! FIIIIIIIEEEEEEN! Where are you? Why aren't you posting in this thread??

diego
Old 01-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #38
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Well, why don't YOU start the discussion, since you've already completed Act I? Don't tell me we have to wait till everybody has reached Act II?? I don't like discussing previous chapters after I've moved on.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #39

Quote:
I agree with you completely. I wish that I could write down all the quotes that they are saying.
yeap, so far the biggest flaw is that game does not automatically track all of the dialogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post
I had played DN only ONCE (almost exactly 10 years ago)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post
I'll just say that now Discworld Noir is much simpler for me than it was 10 years ago.
i guess you remembered plenty of things from your first play (along with the "experience" you've gathered from back then) and it's no wonder it's easier to you now. that's really funny how mind works... i can clearly remember some games i've played 10+ years ago but some are covered in complete mist. But i can't wait to play some of those again and test/refresh my memories

Quote:
Fien! FIEN! FIIIIIIIEEEEEEN! Where are you? Why aren't you posting in this thread??
Oh, come on, i had to tease you a little You know how people start saying nonsense when they reach their 1000th post

Last edited by diego; 01-15-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #40
The Quiet One

Quote:
Well, why don't YOU start the discussion, since you've already completed Act I? Don't tell me we have to wait till everybody has reached Act II?? I don't like discussing previous chapters after I've moved on.
Because I'm the quiet one...