You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Guess the game from the Amazon review!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #201
tsa
Playing character

That not is easy to guess Tim. Is it a Sherlock Holmes game?
Old 01-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #202
Filmfreak

Not a Sherlock Holmes game, but it is part of a series, as another customer review points out:

Quote:
You'll either love it.. or you'll hate it. If you're looking for a fast paced action packed game, stay away. If you're patient enough to watch a great story unfold, you'll love this. A must have companion to the [censored] series.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #203

The 'RPG' is still a crucial hint I think, since most people associate any japanese videogame with that term.

A game of japanese origin and a 'companion to the series' a.k.a. spin-off?

Miles Edgeworth?
Old 01-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #204
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origami View Post
The 'RPG' is still a crucial hint I think, since most people associate any japanese videogame with that term.

A game of japanese origin and a 'companion to the series' a.k.a. spin-off?

Miles Edgeworth?
Nope. I like your reasoning, but the 'RPG' is solely a brainfart of the reviewer. Don't look into it...

To help you on your way, a final snippet of a review. It's only a small part because otherwise it would contain far too much things for me to [censor].

Quote:
I've played and own many adventure games, most particularly the comedy ones (Grim Fandango, Broken Sword, Monkey Island, Sam and Max, etc) however; my personal favourite is none of these but the underrated '[censored]'.

The characters that you meet are the real selling point of this game. I have yet to play another game with as bold, quick senses of sarcasm and no remorse. 'Grim Fandango' comes close but [censored] just can't be beaten.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #205
tsa
Playing character

Is it a Tex Murphy game?
Old 01-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #206
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
Is it a Tex Murphy game?
Nope. The number of series are getting smaller...
Old 01-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #207
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
IS THE BEST GAME YOU NEED RESOLVE A CRIMEN CASE.
IS A HARD GAME BUT YOU CAN'T STOP!!

Quote:
The characters that you meet are the real selling point of this game. I have yet to play another game with as bold, quick senses of sarcasm and no remorse. 'Grim Fandango' comes close but [censored] just can't be beaten.
Is it Discworld Noir?
Old 01-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #208
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post
Is it Discworld Noir?

Yes, it is. Cunning, wasn't it?
Old 01-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #209
Senior Passer-by

Yes, it was cunning ('cunning' as in Baldrick's 'cunning plan' Name:  kreza.gif
Views: 176
Size:  155 Bytes), but the word SARCASM completely gave the game away.

I utterly agree with the reviewers - the frantic one who couldn't stop resolving the mystery/playing DN and with the other one who immensely enjoyed Lewton & Co.'s endless streak of sarcasm and cynicism .
Old 01-16-2012, 11:50 PM   #210
Filmfreak

Quote:
Yes, it was cunning ('cunning' as in Baldrick's 'cunning plan')
The only meaning of the word I ever use "cunning" for...
Old 01-17-2012, 02:27 AM   #211
Senior Passer-by

I HATE this game, but this guy seems to like it:
Quote:
If you are looking for immersion into a strange and mystical world where the bizarre and the surreal combine with the best elements of gameplay and story-telling, look no further. *censored* does what a good novel or powerful movie does: it sucks you in and holds you there. Graphically it's beautiful. The game play is challenging but not maddening. And there is story here (albeit campy), and character (somewhat cliche). There's no way you have ever played a game like this before. Remember MYST? Well what if MYST was faster paced, less enigmatic and more of a game? *censored* is like MYST except without all the long, dry, boring elements. I can't believe this game was originally released in *censored*. It still holds up, and in fact surpasses many 'modern' games. And the bonus features *censored* are so cool. I am buying several copies for my friends. I never thought I'd like a game in which a *censored* becomes the main character. And I was right, I don't like it. I love it.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:30 AM   #212
Filmfreak

Myst-references, and an unusual main character...

Machinarium?
Old 01-17-2012, 03:48 AM   #213
tsa
Playing character

No, it's that game with the bug in it. Bad Mojo Redux. Because he said the game was originally released in [a much earlier date].

Last edited by tsa; 01-17-2012 at 03:51 AM. Reason: added the Redux part.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:32 AM   #214
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
Myst-references, and an unusual main character...
Machinarium?
Now that you mentioned it... Machinarium fits the description, but that's not it.

Quote:
No, it's that game with the bug in it.
No it isn't. Bad Mojo (Classic or Redux) has no bugs. Oh, wait, you mean the main character and his fellow cockroaches? Name:  budala.gif
Views: 150
Size:  695 Bytes

BM is the only game full of bugs that isn't buggy .

Quote:
Bad Mojo Redux.
You got it.

Quote:
added the Redux part
You didn't have to google it, I would except Bad Mojo (without Redux) as a correct answer (Classic and Redux are basically the same game, Redux only has more makup, lipstick and things).

Quote:
I HATE this game
In case you're wondering about this - I was lying .
As I already said: Everything is allowed in war, sex and quizes.

Last edited by zobraks; 01-17-2012 at 04:38 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #215
tsa
Playing character

I really hated that game. Not for me, that one.

OK, it's my turn again! Woot!

Look at this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by some schmuck who thinks he is smart enough to play adventure games
I got this after reading a few good reviews - so sorry I bothered- the music got on my nerves and couldn't fathom what to do half the time- I like to exercise my brain a bit but would have been dead before I got anywhere near the end with this game- if your'e a Big Fish game sort of person this is not for you- the only way I got anywhere was to find a walkthrough online and follow that- which in the end was just as boring so I gave up and will be trading it in at my local generic gaming store.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #216

Not many leads in this one... but "good reviews" and "dead before I got anywhere near the end"... hmmm... The Last Express?
Old 01-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #217

I go for Longest Journey.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #218
tsa
Playing character

OK, here's a better one with one giveaway in it:
Quote:
One of the main selling points of the game was the beautiful scenery. I will give it that, the scenery is indeed well-done. However, I was often annoyed by how much stuff they threw in that you couldn't do anything with. You wander around, find something that could be interesting and realize that it doesn't really do anything. The whole game felt like a demo for what computer graphics could be like instead of an actual game.

What's more, I found the game pretty boring. Nothing ever really happens plot-wise. Which doesn't have to be a bad thing, really, if there was something interesting to keep your mind off that fact. I spent the whole time I was playing the game fairly bored. I also admit to having to use a walkthrough to get past a couple of puzzles. And they weren't ones I felt stupid about afterwards either. The hints given in the game are awful. Many solutions to the puzzles come out of left field. And then I hit the piano puzzle which I found impossible to get past. After a few hours of failing miserably with that I gave up never to play the rest of the game. And after reading the rest of the walkthrough was not at all unhappy about that choice.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #219
Stalker of Britain

Myst definitely. I mean, what other game has really hard puzzles, little plot development (it was in the backstory and reading, which you probably didn't do reviewer,) and beautiful graphics?
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 01-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #220
tsa
Playing character

You could have guessed it with only the first one Fanatasie . Your turn! Congratulations!

Edit: The second reviewer gave up after a few hours already, the LOSER! I've been stuck in an adventure game for over 20 years and I only gave up because my Commodore 64 died!