You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #101

I truly hope that Death Gate and Azrael's Tear will still appear on the list.
So far I have a few complaints, but I'll keep them to myself until the full list is revealed.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:45 PM   #102
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannik View Post
It would be nice to know, though, how you created the list. Did most/all staff members make their own top X, and then you transformed the results to a top 100? Or is the list a result of only a few peoples discussions? Or something else?
Everyone on staff originally created their own top games list, so general consensus established the basic framework for most of the top 50 or so (the games if not the placement). There was a lot more leeway for personal opinion in the bottom 50, because far fewer people had played many of the games.

A lot of the initial ordering I did myself, but I kept running each iteration by everyone for more input, until finally the bitching died down to a dull roar.

The list was initially going to be a top 25, by the way, with all series counting only once. Then we expanded it to 50 with all games counted individually, but that ended up with too many of the same series on too short a list. So we finally bit the bullet and went all in with 100. Insane amount of work, which is why I've been putting it off about three years. But worth it in the end, now that it's (almost!) done.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:49 AM   #103
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
I played the game so long ago that I don't remember much (except that it's great), and nothing at all of consequence leaps out at me. Can you PM me and let me know what you think is a spoiler?
Isn't there also a spoiler in the QFG4 blurb?

Spoiler:
(That Katrina is the "villain")
Old 12-29-2011, 04:50 AM   #104

Jackal:
Thanks. Glad you chose to make a longer list than the typical top 10-25 - a Top 50-100 in a genre as comprehensive as the adventure game genre is more interesting.

EDIT: In my opinion Sure, it can be argued that less is more when making Top Lists, but when combining the point about the genre being comprehensive, and the fact that shorter lists are way more common than the beast of a list you've created, it seems like a Top 50-100 is the right thing to do, at this point in time.

Last edited by Jannik; 12-29-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:37 AM   #105
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap View Post
Isn't there also a spoiler in the QFG4 blurb?
I haven't played it to know if that's a spoiler or not, but it's an easy detail to remove.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:30 AM   #106
Schättenjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray pierce View Post
what really defines an AG? Puzzles? Definitely not: there are plenty AGs that don't really have any real puzzles but are still widely recognised as AGs(Overclocked, The Last Express) Is it not then telling a good original story that doesn't involve killing monsters or bad guys? With real characters that you can really connect with? (I'm talking ideally of course) And isn't that exactly what Heavy Rain is all about? So therefor isn't it safe to say that if there's one genre Heavy Rain leans most towards to it'd be the adventure genre?
If the ag concept*that ambiguous for you could you explain why Uncharted 3 is not an ag ?

(An adventure game is a video game in which the player assumes the role of protagonist in an interactive story driven by exploration and puzzle-solving instead of physical challenge.*)
Old 12-29-2011, 09:43 AM   #107
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Still Life #20?! Isn't that a bit too much?

As much as I love Blackstone Chronicles, I'd have switched it anytime for Death Gate, which most likely won't make it by now.

Another glaring omission for me was The Gene Machine and possibly Chronomaster. I really liked yesterday's choices, but today I feel it's a hit and miss.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:55 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agustin View Post
Still Life #20?! Isn't that a bit too much?

As much as I love Blackstone Chronicles, I'd have switched it anytime for Death Gate, which most likely won't make it by now.
Agree. Death Gate is also for me more top100 material then Blackstone (which I really like too). For me its a Baldurs Gate of adventure games. I would add myself Mission Critical, but I am happy thet CCS make it to the list.

And Still Life... well I finished playing it after first chapter .
Old 12-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #109
Schättenjager

Here goes the top 10 i guess,

? Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars
? Day of the Tentacle
? Riven
? Portal 2
? Longest Journey
? Grim Fandango
? Last Express
? Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within
? Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
? Runaway: A Road Adventure
Old 12-29-2011, 10:19 AM   #110
The Quiet One

I hope that Runaway: A Road Adventure isn't in the Top 10! Replace that with The Pandora Directive and I reckon you'll be more near the mark.

I don't agree with AG's placement of Syberia either - no way would I rank it better than Still Life and especially GK1!

Sure, Syberia received way more acclaim than Still Life, but I find Still Life more engrossing in terms of story and atmosphere; not to mention its mature themes.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour

Last edited by DustyShinigami; 12-29-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #111

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I haven't posted in the longest time, but I just had to say this...

Kurufinwe, awesome, awesome job on the graphics! Cheers!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 12-29-2011, 10:52 AM   #112
Third Guy from Andromeda

I have very high hopes to see Death Gate on this list as well. It's rare to find a game so tightly and intelligently designed.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:03 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Here goes the top 10 i guess,

? Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars
? Day of the Tentacle
? Riven
? Portal 2
? Longest Journey
? Grim Fandango
? Last Express
? Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within
? Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
? Runaway: A Road Adventure
Replace Runaway with The Pandora Directive and that should be it.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 12-29-2011, 11:20 AM   #114
Schättenjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
Replace Runaway with The Pandora Directive and that should be it.
An instant classic but not in Top 100 All-Time Adventures list,they should change this
( http://forums.adventuregamers.com/article/id,272)review then?
Old 12-29-2011, 12:38 PM   #115
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josho View Post
I have very high hopes to see Death Gate on this list as well. It's rare to find a game so tightly and intelligently designed.
It won't be. Death Gate was already in the you-might-also-like section.
As was the Broken Sword series. I'd expected BS1 in the top twenty, even though it's'#100 in my own top hundred.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:00 PM   #116

How do people feel about Portal 2 in the Top 10? I loved the game and think it's a masterpiece but am unsure about how much of an AG it is.

I understand not having them both in the Top 10, but I do genuinely believe GK1 and GK2 are top 7 games of all time.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 12-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
As was the Broken Sword series. I'd expected BS1 in the top twenty, even though it's'#100 in my own top hundred.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
I can confirm that none of the "You might also likes" are on the list. Although one game from a franchise might still make it if we've simply recommended the rest of the series elsewhere.
BS1 will definitely be in the Top-10.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 12-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #118
Schattenjäger

yeah i dont mind broken sword, but i wouldnt have been upset if it was left off the list. I have accepted though that everybody likes that game alot more than me and it will inevitably be on the top 10.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #119
Schattenjäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
An instant classic but not in Top 100 All-Time Adventures list,they should change this?
Its safe to say the review scores dont mean very much for this list. Traitors gate is another 4.5 stars game that probably wont make the list (unless i missed it somewhere). And theres a 5 star game in the 30's.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
BS1 will definitely be in the Top-10.
Of course it will be in top 10 ! It's Broken Sword dammit !!! :

If there is any doubt, I'll be prepared to smack them with a sewer key.
(I don't have one, but there were some workers two streets away from me I can "borrow" one from, and if they've fixed the problem and they're gone, I can always use one of my big frying pans)

I'm not happy with a few games, but this list reminds me I still have more games to play !