You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
Codger

Default Game Funding

There was a recent thread that basically asked for donations for game development in exchange for perks. One of which was the opportunity to beta test the game. The thread seems to have disappeared. Or at least I can no longer find it. I wanted to forward it to someone else. Can anyone help me locate it?
Old 12-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
lost in rubacava

The only one I can think of is Phoenix Online, the group that made the fan game, Silver Lining, and are going commercial with a new game, Cognition. They're collecting donations for it and I believe there are perks for donating but I don't recall if beta testing is one of them. Check the thread that starts, Come Join Us on October 29th....
Old 12-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
Senior *female* member

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-reed-thriller

Your "someone else" will have to invest at least $100 to get the privilege of beta testing. The whole thing is standard Kickstarter formula. If you've never heard of Kickstarter, check it out. Lots of fun or interesting projects in various categories. Lots of uninspired or too ambitious ideas as well, that goes without saying.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:13 PM   #4

Wow how did they get 5 ppl to pledge 1000$ or more each!?!? :O

I wonder if that's all/99% about just making a interesting project, or if all those perks play a role,
reason I'm wondering is because IMO those perks are a little over the top: weekly skype sessions, fly out and hand over hugs and cookies? lol, when will they have time to make the game?
Old 12-08-2011, 04:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Manny View Post
Wow how did they get 5 ppl to pledge 1000$ or more each!?!? :O

I wonder if that's all/99% about just making a interesting project, or if all those perks play a role,
reason I'm wondering is because IMO those perks are a little over the top: weekly skype sessions, fly out and hand over hugs and cookies? lol, when will they have time to make the game?
Over the top? No, absolutely not. If you are asking for money, the least you can do is organize development sessions and schedules. Not hard to fit in any of that especially since you are asking for so many money as it is. Though I hope this is a sarcastic comment since they are asking no more than something that wouldn't take that much out of a work day.

Question. What was the point of having two 'pledge 1,000$ or more'?

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 12-08-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
Codger

@Fien - That's it. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:45 PM   #7

This sucks! Tried to help fund Cognition but apparantly you can only do that if you have a creditcard which I haven't. Bummer, was really looking forward to that exclusive content. Or is there another way?
Old 12-09-2011, 02:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray pierce View Post
This sucks! Tried to help fund Cognition but apparantly you can only do that if you have a creditcard which I haven't. Bummer, was really looking forward to that exclusive content. Or is there another way?
Credit or Debit. If you don't have either, you really haven't established yourself into reality....credit makes you exist. Gray Pierce, you're not underage right? Surprised you don't have some sort of credit or checking account.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:19 AM   #9
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Credit or Debit. If you don't have either, you really haven't established yourself into reality....credit makes you exist.
I'm sure the governments of the USA, Greece, Italy, Ireland, Spain, etcetera agree with you.

Quote:
Gray Pierce, you're not underage right? Surprised you don't have some sort of credit or checking account.
A banker's card is not the same thing as a credit card. For international payments Dutchies like Graypierce and me need Visa or MasterCard. In 2000 I got myself a credit card for the *sole* purpose of buying games, books, films online. For real life stuff I use my good old banker's card or simply cash, just like everybody I know.

Graypierce, why don't you contact the developers?
Old 12-09-2011, 08:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
A banker's card is not the same thing as a credit card. For international payments Dutchies like Graypierce and me need Visa or MasterCard. In 2000 I got myself a credit card for the *sole* purpose of buying games, books, films online. For real life stuff I use my good old banker's card or simply cash, just like everybody I know.
Exactly! It's so hard to find AGs that you can buy without a creditcard. Luckilly there are more and mora AGs becoming available in Holland and more and more sites allow payment by taking money directly of your bank acoount but that's quite risky. Good thing I know a few people who do have a creditcard and want to help sometimes(though not in this case) But still there are plenty AGs I'd love to play but can't due to payment issues.

Quote:
Graypierce, why don't you contact the developers?
That's a very good idea, just did. Hope I'll get an answer before the kickstarter run ends which is only 39 hours to go, eek!
Old 12-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #11

Really? That sucks. I never realized you are forced to use a credit card overseas. :/ Over here, banker card's or ATM cards are Visa and MasterCard. No credit, just checking account money.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #12
lost in rubacava

That does suck. I've used a US bank card to buy a backup game from an Italian distributor. It took about 6 months for the game to show up but it got here.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:35 PM   #13
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Really? That sucks. I never realized you are forced to use a credit card overseas. :/ Over here, banker card's or ATM cards are Visa and MasterCard. No credit, just checking account money.
Not sure I understand. Forget about games. If I travel to Europe, I'm expected to have a credit card, preferrably AMEX.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney View Post
Not sure I understand. Forget about games. If I travel to Europe, I'm expected to have a credit card, preferrably AMEX.
Credit Cards require credit. ATM/Debit cards just need money in a checking account. Completely different cards, both can be used online.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:09 AM   #15
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney View Post
No, let's NOT forget about games. You're changing the subject. This is about international payments to online stores *anywhere in the world*, not just the US-based ones. I need a credit card to buy games online, for instance from the British amazon.co.uk. The only exception are online stores in my own country, the Netherlands.

But since you mentioned it... my ordinary banker's debit card with the Maestro logo gets me a long way in the US (ATM, shops). However, I would not go without my credit card because the US have a credit card culture and you need one in hotels etcetera.

PS: I can travel through Europe without a credit card. Even insular Great Britain is becoming more flexible.

Last edited by Fien; 12-14-2011 at 04:25 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #16
Codger

Quote:
You're changing the subject.
Not sure I am, but not worth arguing. Whether it be for travel, online purchases, or anything that requires something other than local currency to make a purchase it requires either a credit card that is recognized internationally, or a PayPal-style account. Of course I live in the US, so things may be different.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #17
Senior *female* member

Good lord, I'm talking to a wall here! Yes, you're American and you obviously don't know anything about the Dutch and European situation, so why you felt the need to post your uninformed opinion is beyond me.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Good lord, I'm talking to a wall here! Yes, you're American and you obviously don't know anything about the Dutch and European situation, so why you felt the need to post your uninformed opinion is beyond me.
Indeed. Your post before this one cleared up any thoughts on the subject.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #19
lost in rubacava

Quote:
I would not go without my credit card because the US have a credit card culture and you need one in hotels etcetera.

PS: I can travel through Europe without a credit card. Even insular Great Britain is becoming more flexible.
You're right and it's a pain in the backside. If you don't have a credit card, you essentially don't exist. You can travel without one but you're probably not going to be staying at the swankiest hotel in town.

Btw, you got your Christmas hats, I see.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:12 PM   #20
Codger

Quote:
I see we have reverted to the old Fein. That being, if you don't agree with me, you are uninformed.