You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Mystery Case Files: Escape from Ravenhearst

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2011, 09:20 PM   #1

Default Mystery Case Files: Escape from Ravenhearst

After the last two games in the series which were an absolute pleasure to play, I just had to look forward to this game. I've never played any of the Ravenhearst games just as much as I don't like playing an HOG's that are set up like the old HOG's back in the day.

To much of my surprise, this game is quite different. Offering high definition graphics (I think that means it is set up to be played nicely on high resolution widescreen monitors) and a unique twist on HOG scenes (Instead of searching for items on a list, you have to find objects that morph into another object. Ties in nicely with the story. This really drives the immersion and prevents you from looking away from the scene just to see what object is next). This game is really exciting. Once you get hit the first plot point (you will know when you see it), the game REALLY picks up.

This game almost reaches perfection in the genre. I know the biggest complaints of these game's are the HOG elements, but this series continued to evolve, something even the Adventure genre has a hard time doing, and can only be seen with DRASTIC changes like LA Noire and Heavy Rain.

Go download yourself the trial from BigFish if you don't have the game already.

A note to those who don't like scary games. This can be quite creepy and at times weird. You are forewarned.

Who else is playing this game?

Game's website: http://mysterycasefiles.com/games/escapefromravenhearst

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 11-24-2011, 11:37 PM   #2
Senior *female* member

I am playing it. I'm sure most regulars know how I feel about casual adventures, but I've always made an exception for the Mystery Case Files. I've played all of them, including the first two Ravenhearst games.

So far I quite like the latest addition, including the HOG scenes. I'm in the hospital, probably still early in the game. But I hate "activating" those tokens, which involves endless searching and comparing.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
Senior *female* member

I have finished it and enjoyed it very much. Outrageous and way, way over the top, which prevents it from being too disturbing. Some of the things the game makes you do are really gross. In a good way. It starts out like so many horror casuals, in a car on a cold, dark night, but it soon develops into a fascinating and weird experience. Nice puzzles, not all of them easy. If only all casual adventures lite could be this good...
Old 11-27-2011, 03:57 PM   #4

Wow, that is great to hear. Ive been busy all weekend and friday for the american thanksgiving/black friday weekend.

Can't wait to dive back in. The funny thing is, I love the series Drawn, but it doesn't capture the excitement and depth (outside of color and characters) that this series does. It really does feel like a casual adventure lite without getting rid of the HOG elements.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
Codger

Just finished the demo. It is a definite play. I usually wait for the Standard Edition. Do either of you think the Collector's Edition was worth the extra $$?

Finished the demo with 32 minutes left to play. Always makes me wonder whether the game will be too easy. I'm not opposed to that!

The first two games reminded me of Black Dahlia. Door puzzle, after door puzzle, after door puzzle.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:20 PM   #6

Very little door puzzles. Every puzzle has a unique subject/situation. It feels like a well thought out game with a nice flow.

Right now, I am unsure about the worth of the Collector's Edition, but the Strategy Guide in-game helps a lot if you get stuck.

The first two games were nothing but the start of a long line of evolving games.They are but the children of what seems to be a series that increases with many new features.

I think this game is worth it, but if you can way, then wait.

Sadly, this game is ruining the genre a lot for me. It just does everything better, and I don't think I can go back to looking at a list of objects to find. Which is sad, but for the better since really, games should be evolving and becoming better. Not by copying another game with a different story and same EVERYTHING else.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:20 AM   #7
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Can't wait to dive back in. The funny thing is, I love the series Drawn, but it doesn't capture the excitement and depth (outside of color and characters) that this series does. It really does feel like a casual adventure lite without getting rid of the HOG elements.
You've piqued my interest with this comment. Up until now, Drawn was the only casual game I've played through til the end - I really dislike these games and they have to be really good to impress me. However, I viewed the Ravenhearst gameplay on youtube and it looks even more "casual" than Drawn, so I'm still undecided on whether I'd like it. I do like horror though, and it looks spooky!
Old 11-28-2011, 04:54 AM   #8
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney View Post
Just finished the demo. It is a definite play. I usually wait for the Standard Edition. Do either of you think the Collector's Edition was worth the extra $$?
Well, of course the standard edition isn't out yet. What I get from the game description at Big Fish and from the discussion at Gameboomers, is that the standard edition doesn't unclude the 24 "door tokens" you must activate. (Essentially, a variation of hidden objects. Recognize and locate a tiny fragment of a screen you've seen somewhere before). Personally I didn't care much for that part of the game. Plus you get a few more morphing and/or hidden-object screens after the game is finished as a bonus, but no extra gameplay.

Quote:
Finished the demo with 32 minutes left to play. Always makes me wonder whether the game will be too easy. I'm not opposed to that!
The game is certainly not too easy. Some puzzles are challenging. But of course there's the Strategy Guide and you can skip puzzles.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:11 AM   #9
Easily amused

I'm playing this now. I love the puzzles, but find the content distasteful. More gross-out than scary.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:21 AM   #10
Senior *female* member

I read a few pages of comments at Big Fish yesterday. Most people think it's a great game, but there are also those who are disgusted and disappointed. I can certainly understand that, I remember how I hated doing awful stuff with dead bodies in Zork Nemesis. But this one is so over the top and it's just mannequins, not real people. Meeting Mother and dealing with her is something I won't forget. I don't think I ever laughed that hard at scenes in a casual game before.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpet View Post
I'm playing this now. I love the puzzles, but find the content distasteful. More gross-out than scary.
I feel like its no more distasteful than a great serial killer film. Maybe I didn't mention it enough in the original post or on the game page at BigFish.

Far from distasteful in my opinion since that would bean there is no reason for doing said actions or scenery. The term scary categorizes things that can be disturbing, generally scary, shock, gore, etc. That is why films use it.

Seriously, this stuff is child play compared to some of the most ingenious films and games.

I laugh at those that say its disturbing despite the warning on the game's page. lol

I really hope these comments do not affect future games of MCF. Such limitations prevent games from evolving in both gameplay and in content.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #12

I played most of the Mystery Case Files and liked them.
But i mostly thought the story is a bit exaggerated and illogical.
So i always was disappointed at the end.
But it is true: every game was better then the one before.
Is the story better this time?
The demo is very nice (I had 19 minuts left, rtrooney).
I would like to pay the game at christmas - as an antipole of the christmas spirit.