You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Jurassic Park: The Game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2011, 06:11 AM   #21
The Quiet One

Meh. I'll probably just rent it when it becomes available on 360 over here.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 11-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #22

Just started playing and got past the docks. Sorry but I'm really loving this game.

Either people complain that its not a point n click or a shooter....but it feels like Gabriel Knight 2 and Heavy Rain. GK2 as in you don't directly control the character, but you tell him what to do. It may not be like GK3 where you choose what to do to the object but it definitely is simplified like GK2.

You don't directly control the character in this game but like GK2 you basically influence the decisions of the character. Not to mention GK2 was like an advanced interactive movie, or the usual FMV game.

I seriously don't understand the complaints about the game beyond various bugs (like playing a dialogue sequence and for some reason it repeats the same sequence again. Also the sound cuts out sometimes liking during camera changes. It makes it feel ever so unpolished though this I have heard/seen in most if not all Telltale games.)

Also to say this is nothing like Heavy Rain is pretty much not true. It does feel and play like Heavy Rain. Minus controlling the character.

Again, the best way I can describe the game is the mix of the gameplay from GK2 and Heavy Rain.

Seriously the main complaints for this game came from unreasonable expectations from the audience. Everything I've experienced so far was what they advertised, especially from the gameplay videos.

When I beat the game i'll give a better opinion on it, but so far, no complaints besides the usual telltale game bugs.

In the end, I feel like the offense against these types of games are unjustified. If so many FMV games are placed under the Adventure Genre, then I can say that Heavy Rain and this game is like the ultimate FMV type game.

Edit: I also want to say that this is probably the best representation of an Episodic game....well representation as in closest to how an episode works in relation to a tv show. The fact that the game keeps moving forward means you won't get stuck in any one part or having to talk to every character to figure out what to do next, and so on. I like it, but the only way this formula would work is if the game's length for each episode is decent and not short. Although it only costs 29.99 for the complete series (well its not sold in episodes from what I understand).

Edit 2: Wait I thought this was suppose to be an episodic series? lol Didn't know this was the whole series. Okay thats a good surprise. On to episode 2.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/

Last edited by Monolith; 11-18-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #23

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

i concur with monolith, just finished the first chapter and i think its wonderful and already a great addition to tell-tales library. I've died 6 times, and each time i died, i knew how to get passed the spot where i died the time before, it definitely isn't unfair in how it goes about things.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Monolith;593970] Also to say this is nothing like Heavy Rain is pretty much not true. It does feel and play like Heavy Rain. Minus controlling the character.
People have many different opinions. I respect that.

But I think that controlling a character makes a very big difference in a game. In fact, I have already played Heavy Rain and unfortunately I could not have the same feeling when playing Jurassic Park. I wish I could.

Please, note that I have nothing against using my reflexes on games because I also play action games like Uncharted, Assassin's Creed and inFamous. But despite the difference between the types of games I think I can feel when a game is well produced. So, I can say Heavy Rain and LA Noire are very well produced and so are Uncharted and Assassin's Creed. However, I don't feel the same about Jurassic Park. Maybe because I haven't still played enough to make a true impression about the game.

Perhaps, playing Jurassic Park a little longer, I can make a different opinion about it. I hope so.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzo View Post
People have many different opinions. I respect that.

But I think that controlling a character makes a very big difference in a game. In fact, I have already played Heavy Rain and unfortunately I could not have the same feeling when playing Jurassic Park. I wish I could.

Please, note that I have nothing against using my reflexes on games because I also play action games like Uncharted, Assassin's Creed and inFamous. But despite the difference between the types of games I think I can feel when a game is well produced. So, I can say Heavy Rain and LA Noire are very well produced and so are Uncharted and Assassin's Creed. However, I don't feel the same about Jurassic Park. Maybe because I haven't still played enough to make a true impression about the game.

Perhaps, playing Jurassic Park a little longer, I can make a different opinion about it. I hope so.
I respect that. Though that is why I said it was a mix of that and GK2 or any FMV game. Heavy Rain definitely has a lot more control over the character than GK2 or again FMV's, minus the inventory system.

I personally think Tell-tale made a valiant attempt at making a more action oriented game, but I'd also hope they could improve on it and do more. That's the thing, I love the way they do their episodic style content and i'd love to see a more Heavy Rain/LA Noire esque episodic game. Maybe a darker more violent crime drama. Maybe they could utilize this to pick up the Police Quest games.

Seeing them pick up the Hector: Badge of Carnage series. I have faith that violence or crude humor isn't a limitation for them. Possibly I made consider getting them to help finance a game i'm working on that gives the player the option to choose between casual and adventure game modes, each with its own set of gameplay, including an episodic style set up.

Maybe i'm just an optimist.

Actually I feel like Tell-tale pretty much brought back FMV adventure games which is hard to do. Anyone agree? There are so many I miss and to see the FMV style gameplay come back gives me hope.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #26

Well, in GK II you cannot put Gabriel in the place you want, but you can decide what he is going to do, what he is going to say or where he goes. The cutscenes show the consequences of what Gabriel does. ( I loved GK II, I've played it about 10 times!)

Yes, I think you are wright when you compare Heavy Rain and Jurassic Park with the old FMV games. But in the case of Jurassic Park I wish I could control the characters.

Of course I could not expect from Jurassic Park something that works like Back to The Future. Afterall, you must run from a lot of dinossaurs! But the interface could be something like Tomb Raider games. Why not?

Anyway, mabe I should try playing JP once more.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:45 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzo View Post
Well, in GK II you cannot put Gabriel in the place you want, but you can decide what he is going to do, what he is going to say or where he goes. The cutscenes show the consequences of what Gabriel does. ( I loved GK II, I've played it about 10 times!)

Yes, I think you are wright when you compare Heavy Rain and Jurassic Park with the old FMV games. But in the case of Jurassic Park I wish I could control the characters.

Of course I could not expect from Jurassic Park something that works like Back to The Future. Afterall, you must run from a lot of dinossaurs! But the interface could be something like Tomb Raider games. Why not?

Anyway, mabe I should try playing JP once more.
Agreed. Maybe Tell-tale should of advertised this as a Next Gen Interactive Movie, and get people to notice a new trend for a series of games.

What do you mean interface like Tomb Raider? Gameplay or the on screen interface?

Old 11-18-2011, 05:57 PM   #28
Senior Automaton

Telltale's formula was getting really old for me and this was most noticeable in BTTF, which I gave up on after episode 2. Guiding a character around wouldn't have worked very well with Jurassic Park. In episode 1 alone they managed to pack in a large amount of 'exciting' scenes, and there's no way they would have been able to do that with inventory puzzles. And there are still some adventure puzzles in there, where you have to do things in a certain order.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #29

Monolith:

I mean the gameplay. A game with dinossaurs should not only be scarry but should have lots of action. You should run or fight them with guns, maybe. You should find hiding places, should think on strategies to challenge the monsters...

Oscar:

Indeed. Mixing itens in the inventory would not work well in the game.

Anyway, Jurassic Park wouldn't work well as classic adventure game; instead, should be an action-adventure game, that's what I think.

By the way: I've just played a little more. I still think the same, but I admit JP it's an enjoiable game, if you don't mind quick time events in an adventure game.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:19 PM   #30

Definitely gonna get this one when it comes out on Europe's PSN. Usually I don't buy games right away, but this I have to support. I wanna see more of these types of games. I don't see games like Fahrenheit, Heavy Rain and now this one as games per se, but rather as movies that I interact with and this I strongly believe has a future. My only criteria was that the game is not totally broken, and by the look of things it's just fine, with the exception of minor glitches
Old 11-19-2011, 04:49 AM   #31
Senior Automaton

So why did they make the game in "episodes" and then release them all in a single game? Were they planning on releasing them individually like they normally do? If so, it's odd that they finished them all at the same time instead of working on one after the other.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:22 AM   #32

On PC it was supposed to be episodic, starting this april. Console versions were announced for this fall, meaning now, with a full season in one release. However, for some reason PC's episodes were pushed back to the same date as the consoles and now we have all versions with one season in one game.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:22 AM   #33

They announced that it was being pushed back the day before they announced a new deal with Microsoft to let Telltale publish games on the console. I'm guessing that the 360 version of the game wasn't done, or maybe even begun. Microsoft has rules for publishers that say you can't release on other consoles first or have missing features on the 360 version. Some companies get around this with download bonuses for other systems that aren't on disc and big releases can get away with it because at the end of the day Microsoft wants to sell stuff. However, a small company like Telltale doesn't get special treatment. That's my guess as to why the game was pushed back and released all at once.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:03 AM   #34
Schättenjager

While Telltale continue to revive old hit movies ,i think would be great if they render the Ghostbusters as an ag.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:31 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
While Telltale continue to revive old hit movies ,i think would be great if they render the Ghostbusters as an ag.
Hard to say since the last game was quite definitive! I'm not talking about the downloadable one or wii version.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #36

well I just finished jurassic park & I loved it, my words to describe it would be an interactive movie. Playing the last episode last night I thought the neibours would knock at my door after hearing me screaming trying to avoid the t-rex. I died many times but loved it.

I normally don't like timed games but this was different, all I can say is thank you telltale games
Old 11-20-2011, 08:49 PM   #37
Senior Automaton

I thought the story was very good. It really felt like the Jurassic Park from the movies, and the music helped a lot. The characters were great, especially Oscar
Old 11-21-2011, 03:47 AM   #38

I felt like the game was rushed, like they spread themselves too thin by working on this and Back to the Future at the same time.

Probably some of the worst frame rate issues I've seen since playing Enslaved on the PS3.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:39 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
I actually wish they would do a Stargate:SG1 series. It's perfect for the Adventure Game genre.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:37 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejobloshow View Post
I felt like the game was rushed, like they spread themselves too thin by working on this and Back to the Future at the same time.

Probably some of the worst frame rate issues I've seen since playing Enslaved on the PS3.
rushed! they had 5 months to work on it after BTTF,