You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Telltale is accused of damaging the Jurassic Park jeep they rented...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2011, 02:51 PM   #1

Default Telltale is accused of damaging the Jurassic Park jeep they rented...

This is not good publicity right before the release of Jurassic Park. According to the jeep owner, he's been running in circles trying to rectify damage that incurred when the jeep was under Telltale's control.

He even set up a website for it: http://www.jurassicjeep.com/jeep-18/tell-tale-games-damaged-our-jeep-and-refuses-to-pay-for-it/
(Link has pictures of the damage)

I saw this post on Reddit and on neogaf and the people there are mighty pissed off at Telltale for this seemingly dismissive attitude. Although, a mob mentality seems to be fashionable nowadays.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

Response from Kevin Bruner at Telltale: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comme...sic_park_jeep/

(Also, Telltale didn't damage the Jeep. It was reportedly damaged in transit to PAX, before Telltale took possession of it. Just saying. )
Old 11-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #3

Haha I just saw this on reddit and thought to post the link here as well.

Sounds like a small boycott might be a-brewing...

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 11-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
Response from Kevin Bruner at Telltale: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comme...sic_park_jeep/

(Also, Telltale didn't damage the Jeep. It was reportedly damaged in transit to PAX, before Telltale took possession of it. Just saying. )
Looks like it's over before it even started.

I tell you, I'm always startled at the mob mentality in Reddit. I was reading the most vile comments in the original post and it just amazed me at how easy people turn even on smaller, good natured developers like Telltale!
Old 11-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #5

Its not over. Lately people jump to anything just to create chaos. Are we all really that bored?

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 11-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #6

I have a feeling that yes, we/people are really that bored. It's the way internet is anno 2011, and it irks me to no end.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:56 PM   #7
fov
Rattenmonster

Well, considering the person who signed for the Jeep at PAX has had her personal info posted on Reddit and as a result got 80+ threatening phone calls yesterday, I think it's gone a bit too far. The internet is a terrible place sometimes.

So... anyone played Jurassic Park yet?
Old 11-15-2011, 07:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Yea...I played it. My brothers and I would sit in a room with bowls of jello, spoon some of it out, and see who could shake and stare without blinking for the longest time without spilling any jello. It was fun.

Oh...you meant the new Telltale game. Nope, haven't played it yet.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 11-15-2011, 09:42 PM   #9

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

they failed to deliver on alot of what they promised, stuff that even had nothing to do with the insurance company, shame on them.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:30 PM   #10

Quote:
I ordered a hard copy off the Telltale website so I should expect to play it sometime in mid 2012!
Old 11-17-2011, 09:33 PM   #11

Oh Jesus, look at this. Out of the pan into the fire:

http://au.gamespot.com/features/jura...bused-6346288/

Jurassic Park User Reviews Abused

Telltale Games employees found feeding perfect 10 reviews to Metacritic without disclosing their work on the game.

Jurassic Park: The Game launched yesterday, but you won't find a review on GameSpot just yet. Part of that is because our review staff is swamped at the height of the holiday release season, and part of it is because we didn't get any early review copies from developer Telltale Games.

In theory, this would be an ideal reason for interested gamers to check out GameSpot's fellow CBS Interactive property Metacritic. Ordinarily, the online opinion aggregator can be counted on to compile review scores and links from a wealth of professional review sites, as well as assessments from other gamers who wrote up reviews on their own.

However, a quick examination of the Jurassic Park: The Game Metacritic page on Wednesday morning brought up a number of "Telltale" indicators that something was fishy. By mid-afternoon, Jurassic Park had no critic reviews, but it had four user reviews, each with a gushing write-up of the game's numerous virtues and a 10 out of 10 grade.

Between the reviewers' constant lionizing of Telltale Games, complete sentences, proper punctuation, and paucity of spelling errors, we began to suspect that the user reviews were not the product of actual players, but of Telltale representatives. Sure enough, a cursory Google search on the reviewers' user names backed up our suspicions. One of the reviewers was a user interface artist at Telltale; another was a cinematic artist. According to their LinkedIn profiles, both were relatively new to the studio, but they should have more than enough experience in the industry to understand this was a bad idea.

---------

Is there a smear campaign against Telltale? Is it hard to believe adventure gamers have good grammar?
Old 11-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #12

I don't find it hard to believe that new comers would do such thing. :/ If the names of the reviewers are unique enough, i'll will believe in that article. It's a little sad to see.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:15 PM   #13

telltale are so formulaic, and so middle of the road for me. yes its nice they are making the AG a little more mainstream in this current climate of gaming tastes.

then again michael bay makes films for the mainstream, coldplay makes music for the mainstream. you get where im going with this.

this is all my opinion of course. im drawing the paralells because that's what I think. but i know and understand why others enjoy some of their games.

i dont care if i sound anti-AG when i say this but i feel almost happy they are getting bad press. lack of originality is one of my pet peeves. and telltale lack it 100% in my opinion. to then try and con good review scores highlights their lack of creative thinking.

sorry i know this is a slightly harsh post. just my opinion though, not trying to start an arguement just want to express my opinion is all.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idrisguitar View Post
telltale are so formulaic, and so middle of the road for me. yes its nice they are making the AG a little more mainstream in this current climate of gaming tastes.

then again michael bay makes films for the mainstream, coldplay makes music for the mainstream. you get where im going with this.

this is all my opinion of course. im drawing the paralells because that's what I think. but i know and understand why others enjoy some of their games.

i dont care if i sound anti-AG when i say this but i feel almost happy they are getting bad press. lack of originality is one of my pet peeves. and telltale lack it 100% in my opinion. to then try and con good review scores highlights their lack of creative thinking.

sorry i know this is a slightly harsh post. just my opinion though, not trying to start an arguement just want to express my opinion is all.
The release of Jurassic Park is everything against what you said. Though I wonder, you complain about AG's being formulaic, yet look at Shooters....and every other genre out there. Formulaic? Yes. What makes it break that mold? A unique artistic vision that also redefines gameplay. To complain though, I'd say just chill. No one is forcing you to play these games.

Though I do question, what is the difference between a good game and mainstream? I've seen plenty of non-mainstream games that are just bad. Though, I say mainstream is just generalizing it too much.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idrisguitar View Post

I understand what you're saying about Telltale watering down the genre but I think they've been improving since their first title and some things they introduced to appeal to the mainstream had to be done. The hint systems in games like Back to the Future might seem sacrilegious to an old adventurer, but you have to remember what it was like in those old days. For example, Kenneth Williams and Al Lowe have already admitted that Sierra would beef up the difficulty in games in order to get customers to call their in-house hotlines and buy the hint guides.

In regards to formulaic... I mean, there's like 8 King's Quest games... but I guess there is a difficulty in changing things up in the episodic format as you have to stick to a strict linear path. Again, Telltale are improving on this drawback as I've noticed in certain chapters of Tales of Monkey Island - but it is a legitimate limitation to what they can do.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:43 AM   #16

Sorry I should have backed it up a bit. I’m very harsh on most games, including shooters (more so shooters, no interest whatsoever). In fact there are hardly any games I do like apart from the great AGs and some smaller scale games.

And by formulaic I should specify they use the same recipe every time, they don’t go out of any comfort zone at all. They don’t take risks artistically. As I said this is my personal opinion, and if you knew my limited tastes in gaming you would understand why I find telltale so bland.

Games like frozen synapse, braid, spacechem, VVVVVV, they are not AAA, they are not going to be remembered as classics in twenty years but they are all extremely original and engrossing to me.

AGs like GK, BS1, MI, they all have that unique art style, that way above standard writing and direction. That mood that you can tell they carefully and lovingly crafted to transport the user into a different world.

Games are some of the best creative media out there, but when I feel like the company were following a formula and weren't really pushing themselves to try and make something original then I just don’t get engaged.

Even something like Book of unwritten tales. The art style is striking, the story is interesting, and the design is great. all this together just screams that the developers loved making this game and wanted it to be nothing short of a highlight in the genre.

There’s no way I can believe telltale try that on every single episode they release.

Also please, while you may disagree with everything I say, I’m not interested in a debate, I’m expressing my VERY personal opinion, and I totally 100% respect and understand anyone who doesn't share it.

Last edited by Idrisguitar; 11-19-2011 at 03:49 AM.