You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Which Series do you prefer? Gabriel Knight vs. Broken Sword.

View Poll Results: Gabriel Knight vs. Broken Sword. Which do you prefer?
Gabriel Knight Series. 33 60.00%
Broken Sword Series. 12 21.82%
I like them both the same. 8 14.55%
I dislike both. 0 0%
Other. 2 3.64%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2011, 09:06 AM   #1

Default Which Series do you prefer? Gabriel Knight vs. Broken Sword.

After recently replaying both Games first entries, the similarities betwen the two Series just vividly stood out to me once again and I was inspired to post this poll.

So who comes out on top for you in story, gameplay, characters, the series as a whole, etc…
Old 11-13-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
Grue Master

Can't really give a vote either way. Although I played them all the only game I really liked was Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within. The rest of the GK and Broken Sword games were OK and played just because they were adventure games so my vote went to "Other"
Old 11-13-2011, 09:46 AM   #3

The only similarity betwen the series I see is that both of them were written and designed by very talented people. Gabriel Knight is a serious adventure that deals with real facts (mostly) and a bit of horror, while Broken Sword is more light-hearted and cartoonish, and it doesn't dig that much into history.

I love them both, although BS died for me after the 3rd game, as it became too unimaginative. GK, on the other hand, was finished on a high note. But it is finished, and BS is not)

Last edited by Arial Type; 11-13-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:11 AM   #4

the same (i just pretend that the crappy fourth BS never existed...)
Old 11-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
3rd person fanatic :)

Definitely Broken Sword-series. I never enjoyed Jane Jensen - despite the megalomaniac hype around her.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
lost in rubacava

I also gave my vote to Other. GK1 and BS1 are both on my all-time greats list. GK2 and BS2 are still good and keepers but both series lost me on #3. GK3, in particular, was horrible. Forget the awful graphics (if you can), the story was ridiculous, in my opinion, the computer puzzle was a monster and I hated the regression in Gabriel's character. You'd have thought he'd have learned something after his experience in The Beast Within where Grace saved his butt, but no, he treated her like a moron and kept refusing to pay attention to her except on that one...er, memorable...occasion her brains had nothing to do with. And that idiotic cat fur disguise! No thanks.

I disagree that Broken Sword didn't dig that much into history. There was a good bit of info on the Knights Templar backing up that tale even if it didn't go into tedious length about it. There was enough to carry the story and not so much I wanted to skip the dialogue now and again.

So, Other.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:34 AM   #7
Life and times of...

Well, I've so far only played BS1, while I played all the GKs, so maybe I'm not at a perfect situation to make the evaluation. Anyways, I love BS, but GK is in my opinion far more polished and, umm, mature. BS is lighthearted and at the same time is more superficial storywise, which (as in: the story) is important to me. Plus, there are all sorts of completely unrealistic things in it that slightly eat at the experience.

Of course, in a way it's not even a realistic comparison, because while they handle similar themes, the approach is simply too different.

Funny how the above poster hated GK3 while I found it to be the best in the series. GK in my books evolved from game to game.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:00 AM   #8

Do you really HAVE to ask that?!?!

I like 'em both in their own way.
But BS is my favorite series. And GK is in my top 5.
Coincidence or not, I love the first 2 BS games and the first 2 GK games. I'm not over the moon on the third games in both series. And I don't like the forth BS overall...
Old 11-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
3rd person fanatic :)

3rd episode tends to be worst of them all. (exeptions: Monkey Island 3 and Black Mirror 3!)
Old 11-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #10

Default Gabriel Knight

Neither series has particularly memorable puzzles, which leaves it entirely up to plot. Broken Sword has a broken plot. It makes no sense why the mail character is involved with the mystery and yet he flies off to destinations unknown on the flimsiest of clues. While all the characters in GK have finally crafted backstories, which make you care about them. All have unique and fascinating settings, and the second and third have really well thought out plots with nice twists. I didn't even bother to play the Broken Sword sequels despite having bought them as a set due primarily to how much I loved Revolution's previous Beneath a Steel Sky, which is what they should really be remembered for.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #11

I am huge GK fan, especially of second part The Beast Within and third Blood of The Sacred. And I really dont like Broken Swords (I only played first one, although I have all four parts) because its lack of depth.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #12
lost in rubacava

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
Anyways, I love BS, but GK is in my opinion far more polished and, umm, mature. BS is lighthearted and at the same time is more superficial storywise, which (as in: the story) is important to me. Plus, there are all sorts of completely unrealistic things in it that slightly eat at the experience.
You know, I realize everyone has a slightly different slant on things...sometimes a very different slant...so there's no way I'd question your enjoyment of a game but I have to ask how you see zombies coming out of walls as realistic.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #13

Can't say they are the same, so i'm going with Gabriel Knight. GK just offers a more down to earth realistic feel and look. I could relate to him more.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 11-13-2011, 01:27 PM   #14
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimless View Post
You know, I realize everyone has a slightly different slant on things...sometimes a very different slant...so there's no way I'd question your enjoyment of a game but I have to ask how you see zombies coming out of walls as realistic.
Zombies coming out of walls? You mean Asmodeus in GK3? Other than that I have no idea what you're talking about (unless there's some part in GK1 I've forgotten, I have only played through it once or twice quite a while back)...

There's a difference between a supernatural plotline and just plain sillyness. Like, if it's a story about vampires, then sure, there can be vampires, clearly unrealistic things per se, but they are to be expected because they belong in that setting. But if it's still set in a real world, the things that are supposed to be of the real world are supposed to be realistic.

Just off the top of my head, in Broken Sword, George just flies around in Europe and Middle-East and goes to who-knows-where, like "oh! Some remote village in Syria! Well, why don't I just head over to the airport, fly to Syria and take a bus from there. I'll be back home by lunch." In the beginning there's a bombing - a bombing - and they have plenty of time to look around the place, talk to people, until the police force shows up with the might of one detective and his dumbish assistant. And then that one guy who can clearly see into the café just goes on doing his job when a bomb just went of about 20 meters from him, blowing up a café, and apparently doesn't even notice... Oh yeah, and there was a hotel receptionist, who knows you stole a room key, but doesn't mind you keeping it, now that you so cleverly stole it.

And if you really are talking about GK3, then sure, the whole Asmodeus thing was a little silly (the ending chapter overall with the death puzzles and all was the only thing I somewhat disliked about the game - though I liked the story in the end), and there's one a silly puzzle there in the beginning, but overall, the world behaves realistically. The characters behave like real people.

And, like I said, it's not a fair comparison (and I do very much enjoy both games). Broken Swords are supposed to be humorous, Gabriel Knights fairly serious, but supernatural (and so supernatural things belong in that world). But to me this one is completely an argument about how the world was fleshed out, and cleary Gabriel Knight has a world far more deep than Broken Sword.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #15
lost in rubacava

I was just joshing with you. I see your point. Oh, and the zombies I was talking about...I suppose they were zombies...were in the African puzzle where Gabriel moves the tiles around.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:06 PM   #16
Life and times of...

Wow, I have no memory of that part

So did you mean GK1?

But anyways, hope I didn't appear too steamed-up about this It's just hard to tell when people are being serious and not around here (so I wanted to argue my point regardless)
Old 11-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #17
lost in rubacava

Hey, no sweat, I get steamed up, too. Yes, it was GK1, the part where
Spoiler:
Gabriel leaves Schloss Ritter and hares off to Africa to find his uncle in that mound where what's-her-name is buried.
Thinking about it, they weren't zombies coming out of walls...maybe clay figures that came to life, a la the old Flash Gordon series. (Boy, does that date me. Uh...I watched a lot of ancient serials in my younger days.) Anyway, they were after Gabriel's hide and got it more than a few times when I played that puzzle.

Last edited by aimless; 11-13-2011 at 03:03 PM. Reason: possible spoiler
Old 11-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #18

My vote goes to Gabriel Knight cause it has Tim Curry. Also the Gabriel Knight series consists of 3 awesome games instead of only 2.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimless View Post
Hey, no sweat, I get steamed up, too. Yes, it was GK1, the part where
Spoiler:
Gabriel leaves Schloss Ritter and hares off to Africa to find his uncle in that mound where what's-her-name is buried.
Thinking about it, they weren't zombies coming out of walls...maybe clay figures that came to life, a la the old Flash Gordon series. (Boy, does that date me. Uh...I watched a lot of ancient serials in my younger days.) Anyway, they were after Gabriel's hide and got it more than a few times when I played that puzzle.
They were mummies, not zombies. Do some research, the history of zombies come from africa, specifically south africa. But the main practice came from the Hatians through Vodou.

To learn that your original comment was to say it was unrealistic was ignorant, yet I had to come in here and ruin it by saying they were reanimated mummies. -_-

Why was GK1 better than BS1? It didn't fall for the whole generic christian, biblicial, known world religious mysteries. Funny since the real religious part of Gabriel Knight came around GK3.

Not saying I don't love me a good templar story. I just would take a more exotic and epic story over one that resembles too much of what we know. Well at least I know, being of templar blood.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 11-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #20
lost in rubacava

Okay, they were mummies. But where do you think Gabriel was? He was in Africa looking for the 'resting place' of a woman who had been the voodoo queen. Connecting zombies with voodoo and voodoo's origins with Africa, maybe zombies would have made more sense than animated mummies which, as far as I know, have no connection with voodoo at all. But why am I arguing? It doesn't matter.