You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Which Series do you prefer? Gabriel Knight vs. Broken Sword.

View Poll Results: Gabriel Knight vs. Broken Sword. Which do you prefer?
Gabriel Knight Series. 33 60.00%
Broken Sword Series. 12 21.82%
I like them both the same. 8 14.55%
I dislike both. 0 0%
Other. 2 3.64%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimless View Post
Okay, they were mummies. But where do you think Gabriel was? He was in Africa looking for the 'resting place' of a woman who had been the voodoo queen. Connecting zombies with voodoo and voodoo's origins with Africa, maybe zombies would have made more sense than animated mummies which, as far as I know, have no connection with voodoo at all. But why am I arguing? It doesn't matter.
Why are you arguing? That was exactly what I just said. :|

But I was to correct myself. They were zombies not mummies. Some people call them mummies for the african connection, but little to they know mummies really didn't exist anywhere other than north africa.

I digress though, didn't you say 'but I have to ask how you see zombies coming out of walls as realistic. ' Yet conceptually it is more realistic...but not in the form in the game.

Edit: Come to think of it, what term did Jane use in the Sins of the Fathers book? I don't recall and the book is in the garage. Too lazy to get it.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/

Last edited by Monolith; 11-13-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:51 PM   #22

GK eeks out the win. BS2 didn't have a very good game structure (almost too linear), and I haven't played the other two sequels.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 11-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #23
lost in rubacava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post

Come to think of it, what term did Jane use in the Sins of the Fathers book? I don't recall and the book is in the garage. Too lazy to get it.

Golems. Back to the clay men.

Pax, okay?
Old 11-14-2011, 01:44 AM   #24
Filmfreak

It's kind of hard for me to give an opinion since I haven't played any of the Gabriel Knight games yet (they'll follow after my LucasArts replays).

But since I think the Broken Sword games are seriously overrated, I will probably like GK better. The first two Broken Sword games were decent to good, but really nothing special (and they're definitely not in the least bit funny - apart from the cheap "innocent American" shot in BS1's opening).
And since I've never even gotten my BS3 game to run after installing it (just getting a black non-responsive window - even on 2 different PC's with two different operating systems), I'm not too keen on applauding that series...

I'll need to get back to this thread in (an estimated) two months, after I've played the GK-series. But since that has Tim Curry in it (whom I have on my 'cool'-list for cult reasons alone), and I already liked (though not loved) the "lesser Jensen"-game Gray Matter, I'm sure I'll have no problems enjoying the GK-games...
Old 11-14-2011, 04:05 AM   #25

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Is this really a question?

Gabriel Knight of course!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 11-14-2011, 04:16 AM   #26
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
....I think the Broken Sword games are seriously overrated....
Yeah, what he said!
Except the part about the "innocent American" in BS1's opening, I don't agree with that. But I recently replayed BS1 (director's cut) because GOG gave it away for free and I still feel it's an okay game, slightly better than average, with nice graphics.

Gabriel Knight on the other hand....
Old 11-14-2011, 04:42 AM   #27
handsome

I neither dislike or like both series, they're just, I dunno, passable. So I'll just vote "other".
And finally! Someone that isn't crazy about Jane Jensen too! MoonBird you rock.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:59 AM   #28
The Quiet One

Very difficult...

I'd probably say Broken Sword as I've loved that series way longer than Gabriel Knight, but... I dunno. If I played Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers and The Beast Within - A Gabriel Knight Mystery, it would most likely be in that exact order. I love those three games!

Although the Broken Sword series only has one game I love (no. 1), with 2 and 3 being very good/great, Gabriel Knight has two I love (no. 1 and 2) with just no. 3 that I think is very good/great. Both are fantastic series in their own ways - they're exactly the same but different. I love Broken Sword for its more cartoony-upbeat/lighthearted nature, which certainly doesn't lack in murder mystery, intrigue, suspense and history, but I also love Gabriel Knight for it's more serious, mature, darker, and supernatural themes!

I'm gonna have to say both...
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 11-14-2011, 02:51 PM   #29

Hmmm....I enjoyed Broken Sword 1 in its own way as much as any of the Gabriel Knight games, but while the Broken Sword series gradually goes down hill as the series progresses, the Gabriel Knight games remain strong. So my vote goes to the Gabriel Knight series.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:29 PM   #30

Broken Sword 1 and 2 were the games that got me into adventures in the first place (it must be a 1000th time I mention this on these boards, he he).

I've never played Gabriel Knight, despite countless and constant ravings I hear and read about it. I've missed the games back in their heydey (I was too childish for that kind of games back then) and I couldn't force myself to play them now when I saw their screenshots (I'm playing L.A. Noire currently - this must be the reason) But never say never...
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 11-15-2011, 12:11 AM   #31
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Yeah, what he said!
Except the part about the "innocent American" in BS1's opening, I don't agree with that.
That is was funny or that it was cheap?
Old 11-15-2011, 02:04 AM   #32
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
That is was funny or that it was cheap?
Both. I didn't think it cheap, it was a great opening but I didn't find it funny.