You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Very large inventories (possible spoilers)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2011, 02:40 AM   #1
Senior Automaton

Default Very large inventories (possible spoilers)

Which game has the largest inventory? Post the inventory items you have hoarded!

Discworld has a quite big one, but I'm sure there are larger ones.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:22 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Where did he put it all?!

(I also love it when you pick up a ladder and carry that sucker around for a while!)
Old 09-02-2011, 05:37 AM   #3

Hahaha, Rincewind is a severe hoarder. Very hard game too. I remember having a large inventory in LSL7 but I don't think it tops that.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:58 AM   #4

I don't have pictures but, Gilbert Goodmate has got to have one of the largest and most pointless inventory's
Old 09-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #5

heheh, i think Discworld is at the top, especially with that screenshot since amount of stuff varies, but generally i prefer more items, although of course, the goal is to create the perfect balance and that it does not become tiresome.

Also, we might look at things like amount of all stuff throughout the game and not at the same time. Other than Discworld, i think close calls are for example Monkey Island 2 and Toonstruck. Al Emmo and Simon the Sorcerer 4 come to mind with the scrolling track inventory:

Also, Agatha Christie games and almost all of Kheops titles have rather "busy" inventories:

Last edited by diego; 09-02-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
Senior *female* member

Diego is right, Kheops' Return to Mysterious Island leaves Discworld far behind. There's room for dozens and dozens of objects in the inventory. I don't know exactly how many things I carried around, but way more than Discworlds measly 47.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
Senior Automaton

Yes, Kheops games can have huge ones. But there it's more like an RPG where you can pick up many items of the same thing. You can fill 4 inventory pages full of flour if you like.

Many of those items in Discworld don't even have a use. I finished the game without using the bloomers, donkey, dinosaur, the feather, lantern, egg, the soot, or the 2nd ladder
Old 09-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #8

Fenton Paddock(Lost Horizon famous) has really large pockets, you can even fit an entire goat into them!
Old 09-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #9
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Yes, Kheops games can have huge ones. But there it's more like an RPG where you can pick up many items of the same thing. You can fill 4 inventory pages full of flour if you like.
No, you cannot fill 4 inventory pages with flour. Or clay or eggs or stones or nuts.

Quote:
Many of those items in Discworld don't even have a use. I finished the game without using the bloomers, donkey, dinosaur, the feather, lantern, egg, the soot, or the 2nd ladder
That's the Discworld spirit. Lots of red herrings and extremely well-hidden easter eggs.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #10
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
No, you cannot fill 4 inventory pages with flour. Or clay or eggs or stones or nuts.
No? In Nostradamus I'm pretty sure I could pick leaves off trees as many times as I liked. Try it.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #11
Senior *female* member

You may be right. I played Nostradamus, found it boring and don't remember much about it. But I enjoyed Return to Mysterious Island and I'm pretty sure that there were more than 47 *different* objects you can carry around.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #12

Many games that allow you to have more than one of some generic inventory item only show them in one slot in the inventory with some way to indicate that you have more than one.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:07 PM   #13
Chicken with a bite

With the Kheops games, you can usually pick up the same thing three or four times and then you need to use one before you can pick up another. Not sure what the maximum is in Nostradamus but I'm pretty sure it's not unlimited.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:25 PM   #14
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
Where did he put it all?!
That's easy, he used the luggage a chest which contains an infinitely large interdimensional space (because it's made of sapient pearwood). It also walks around by itself and in the books had a tendency to eat people. When you opened it up afterwards all it had on the top was clean laundry.
Quote:
(I also love it when you pick up a ladder and carry that sucker around for a while!)
Speaking of ladders, whilst it doesn't count as large in the sense of number of items, in Dracula:Origin you can "pick up" a set of rolling library steps (I think you're actually supposed to be rolling them but they couldn't be bothered to animate it.)

The steps in question are in the foreground to the left. Van Helsing, the player character, is in the middle near a flight of stairs for size comparison.

No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree

Last edited by Melanie68; 09-03-2011 at 06:29 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags (i need things tidy)
Old 09-03-2011, 06:23 AM   #15
tsa
Playing character

I also played Return to Mysterious Island and I think Fien is right. I also remember carrying a lot of stuff around in another Jules Verne game: From the Earth to the Moon.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:28 AM   #16
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray pierce View Post
Fenton Paddock(Lost Horizon famous) has really large pockets, you can even fit an entire goat into them!
I always liked the way Kate Walker put the largest things in the inside pocket of her jacket. Ffflops! And it was gone.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:36 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
That's easy, he used the luggage a chest which contains an infinitely large interdimensional space (because it's made of sapient pearwood). It also walks around by itself and in the books had a tendency to eat people. When you opened it up afterwards all it had on the top was clean laundry.
Phew! I'm glad somebody posted that eventually! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
Speaking of ladders, whilst it doesn't count as large in the sense of number of items, in Dracula:Origin you can "pick up" a set of rolling library steps (I think you're actually supposed to be rolling them but they couldn't be bothered to animate it.)

The steps in question are in the foreground to the left. Van Helsing, the player character, is in the middle near a flight of stairs for size comparison.

Wow, it's like fitting the Eiffel Tower in your damn pocket! o__O

lol But yeah though, I don't mind stuff like that too much if I can imagine a different option of transporting the object - that is viable (like you mentioned rolling them).

"He's the small boy that you have to give the ball to in order to retrieve the toilet brush from the kebab seller."

stepurhan -

"Only in an adventure gaming forum would you see a sentence like this. "
Old 09-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #18
tsa
Playing character

I don't mind that kind of stuff at all
Old 09-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #19
I changed my title

"Curse of Monkey Island" had an inventory which took up the whole screen; in the snake scene you got a lot of useless items in it.

"Voyage", like all Kheops games had a hge inventory, made even larger by the fact that you could always make some items (like the small trees). It also had a shop where, if you had enough patience, you could buy plenty of useless items (mainly paintings and various artifacts).