You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Longest Journey: How Long?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #1

Default The Longest Journey: How Long?

So, I've got a day off work this Monday, and since I've got a horrible cold I thought this would be a good weekend to dig into an adventure game I've never finished. I started The Longest Journey during the community play-through but got distracted part way through. Really enjoyed the part I did, play, though, so I'm looking forward to starting over.

What I'm wondering is just how long the game is. I'm not expecting to finish it in three days of play, but how much of a commitment am I looking at? I know that play times often vary widely, but I was hoping to get some feedback on whether its closer to Samorost or Grim Fandango.

(Unsurprisingly, googling 'longest journey' and 'game length' didn't prove very enlightening ...)
Old 09-02-2011, 01:48 AM   #2
Senior *female* member

The long and short of it is that it's a looooong journey.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:41 AM   #3

The title is indeed very apt. The Longest Journey may be the longest adventure game there is. A lot of it is padded out by seemingly endless dialogues, though. Those tales of the Atlatiens and the many books you must read!
Still, prologue, 13 chapters (of very variable length) and an epilogue do take their time to be told. And I feel it's a game worth playing, even if I have a lot to complain about it!
Grim Fandango and Gabriel Knight 3 may be similar in terms of length.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:08 AM   #4

Hmmm, if you play most of the day everyday for 3 days, and USE a walkthrough you'll probably finish it. If you play it properly, then no. TLJ is one game I recommend you play without a walkthrough (except on the rubber ducky part and then I forgive you).
Old 09-02-2011, 06:51 AM   #5

I think I completed the game in 20-25 hours.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #6

You can save time by reading subtitles and clicking through dialogue.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 09-03-2011, 12:45 AM   #7

Or play Syberia instead - you should manage to complete that in three days, AND it's a better game (in my opinion).

It's worth buying for the artwork alone - it's beautiful.

Syberia is available on gog.com :

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/syberia
Old 09-03-2011, 04:16 AM   #8

Too long.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:37 PM   #9
lost in rubacava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Berkeley View Post
Too long.
Rofl! Exactly what I was thinking as I opened this thread.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #10

One of the dullest games i've ever played and one of the most pretentious. It's hilarious when a game designer thinks they're a writer. No, change the word hilarious to annoying.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #11

Thanks for the info, all. I'm just about done replaying the first two chapters.

Quote:
TLJ is one game I recommend you play without a walkthrough (except on the rubber ducky part and then I forgive you).
Funny you should say that - on my first try that was the only part I used a guide for. Stupidly frustrating!
Old 09-04-2011, 12:26 AM   #12

*Checks Steam* Took me 24 hours, and I used a guide 3 times. Dreamfall took 18 hours.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:00 AM   #13
Psychonaut

Considering what a fantastic game it is.

It's not long enough. I wanted more.

In reality it's probably 20-25 hours depending on how good you are at the puzzles.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:15 AM   #14
Sik

I've played through it three times. The last time it took 15 hours, so I'm guessing that's fairly close to the minimum if you don't skip dialogue, but never get stuck. It's not a difficult game, but there are a few puzzles that you can get stuck on for an hour or two before either solving them or resorting to a walkthrough, so I think the 20-25 hour estimate for a first playthrough is quite accurate.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbman View Post
One of the dullest games i've ever played and one of the most pretentious. It's hilarious when a game designer thinks they're a writer. No, change the word hilarious to annoying.
umm, he was a screen-writer before he ever designed a game.

and OP dont pay too much attention to these opinions, after all its their experience, its slow, but the story and the characters get built up to a great degree, and the game becomes extremely engrossing.

the story is really great and i cant wait to continue playing.

give it time, get to chapter 3-4 before deciding on whether you like it or not, by then you will either be addicted like me, or bored like other people here.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:46 AM   #16

I actually liked The Longest Journey more then it's sequel Dreamfall or more then Syberia, but I never could actually say how many hours I spend on a game, because, I usually sit and stare for a good while admire the graphics, background, details of every scene I like and go through, and usually I use all dialog options, and try items on everything (too bad that worked only with 2d, when you get a funny line) and skip only if I am replaying the game.

Anyway, TLJ is definitely a game worth playing and very enjoyable!
And I'm still waiting for the third someday....
Old 09-04-2011, 08:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idrisguitar View Post
umm, he was a screen-writer before he ever designed a game.

and OP dont pay too much attention to these opinions

I agree. She should only listen to yours, the 'correct' one.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:52 PM   #18

TLJ is awesome - it's a real top quality game (few titles would get similar praise from me).

Yes, it is quite long and there are some long conversations within the game, however I found these to be interesting and I didn't think they dragged on. They weren't virtually back to back as well! I haven't got a clue as to why you'd be saying this.

"He's the small boy that you have to give the ball to in order to retrieve the toilet brush from the kebab seller."

stepurhan -

"Only in an adventure gaming forum would you see a sentence like this. "
Old 09-05-2011, 03:31 AM   #19

After my allotted three days, I've now finished Chapter Four. Less than a third of the way in, but I think I've got enough of the game under my belt that I'll finish it this time. The story has definitely sucked me in, and I'm probably taking longer than the average because I keep getting sidetracked staring at the gorgeous environments and trying to notice every detail. (They distract me from the character models, which have ... not aged well.) I spent a good few minutes standing in the cinema listening to dialogue from Victory Hotel at one stage.

I wasn't intending to provoke a debate about the quality of The Longest Journey, but for the record I'm enjoying it so far while understanding that it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. The dialogues are long, but the only part I've found really tedious so far is getting the books in Chapter Four. (Not reading them, you understand, but waiting for the librarian to take them out and put them away. Maddening when you've got a dozen to get through and want to get on to the puzzles.)

Last edited by AnneS; 09-05-2011 at 03:37 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneS View Post
but the only part I've found really tedious so far is getting the books in Chapter Four. (Not reading them, you understand, but waiting for the librarian to take them out and put them away. Maddening when you've got a dozen to get through and want to get on to the puzzles.)
If you enable time skip in the option menu, then you can tap escape a few times to skip these old mans animations, indeed you can press escape to time skip anywhere (so you can quickly move through areas within a second instead of watching April run.

I only use it when i have explored all the areas and been through every dialogue sequence within a certain chapter or section of a game. Basically whenever im stuck and need to round all the areas again and check what I missed. Pressing esc to time skip means I can get through everything in a quarter of the normal time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbman View Post
I agree. She should only listen to yours, the 'correct' one.
Then I said "these", that, (if i know my basic english,) implied to include my own opinion in the ones she might as well ignore.

I only followed up with my positive opinion to provide a bit more balance to the topic, and get the OP to at least give the game a try without so much of a tainted view going into it.

I dont know whether she will love it like me or hate it like you. (if you quoted the rest of the post you would have seen that bit.)

but yeah you can read it however you want to i mean since when did actual english count more than the warped meanings of the deluded.

Last edited by Idrisguitar; 09-06-2011 at 01:13 AM.