You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Help choosing Sherlock Holmes Nemesis (UK)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #1

Default Help choosing Sherlock Holmes Nemesis (UK)

Hi!

I'm considering buying the game Sherlock Holmes Nemesis (aka Sherlock Holmes Vs Arsène Lupin).

I've seen 2 versions of the game available for sale . The original one (from 2008) and a more recent release (2010), from Focus Multimedia. I'm wondering if I should "invest" in the original release or just go for the recent release...

I'm looking to buy from stores (not intending on buying second hand) and from what I've seen so far, the cheapest one is the Focus Multimedia release. Right now, I've found it very cheap, comparing to the prices the original release seems to be having (I'll still have to check with stores if it is in fact the original release or not).

From what I could find so far, the only differences between the releases would be the different boxshot design and the fact that the original one comes with a manual. Would these be enough to justify cashing in on the original (and more expensive) release?

Since I couldn't find an online version of the manual (checked the replacementdocs site, but no luck), I'm asking to people who might own the game to share their opinions on it.

For instance, I own the Sherlock Holmes The Awakened original release and I kind of like the manual, which has a old-notebook feel. On the other hand, I managed to find a digital version of the manual of Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper, and it didn't have the same appeal to me (looked very "bland"). So, in which example would you guys say the Sherlock Holmes Nemesis manual fit in?

What would you guys recommend?
Old 05-12-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
Replicant

The new one has a third person camera view which is a godsend as the first person view made a lot of people (including me) very queasy. Unfortunately, the 3rd person view has slightly awkward controls but is useable.

I don't remember any other differences so get the new one for the alternate views. BTW, it is a very good game but one of the most difficult I've ever played for logic puzzles. I had to use a walkthrough quite a lot but the storyline is possibly the best of the first set of Holmes games.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
The new one has a third person camera view which is a godsend as the first person view made a lot of people (including me) very queasy. Unfortunately, the 3rd person view has slightly awkward controls but is useable.
The version you have is the Focus Multimedia one? I'm asking this because I still haven't found any references that this version comes with the 3rd person view, I only saw this on the digital version, so I'm wondering if the Focus version comes with this or not...
Old 05-13-2011, 03:34 AM   #4
UnseenUniversity Graduate

I have the remastered edition from Focus... it came with a manual in a DVD case, no box. It has the 3rd person view. I bought it in the UK... Like Stuart, the original one made me feel too ill to play (my dad has that one).
Old 05-13-2011, 05:26 AM   #5

I also thought (like TechnoSpike) that it was only available as digital download. Does it indeed have the same cover as shown in TechnoSpike's second link (release 2010)? If so, then I know what to buy
Old 05-13-2011, 08:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter_93 View Post
I have the remastered edition from Focus... it came with a manual in a DVD case, no box. It has the 3rd person view. I bought it in the UK... Like Stuart, the original one made me feel too ill to play (my dad has that one).
skeeter_93, that's very interesting to hear! Can you confirm if it's the same boxshot I posted? Also, if it's not asking too much, could you indicate if the barcode number (EAN) is 5031366018434?
Old 05-13-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
Replicant

My copy is the Steam downloadable version.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:02 AM   #8
UnseenUniversity Graduate

Oooh I am so embaressed! I pulled out the game to check the details for you and the one I was thinking of was Awakened! We have the Arsene Lupin original edition in a box, 1st person only. This'll teach me to play the games that I buy instead of leaving them on the shelves! I apologise to everyone for the mistake... and now I am eager to know the answer because I need a 3rd person copy of the game as well!
Old 05-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #9

No problem, skeeter_93! That kind of things tend happen! Too bad, the possibility of a remastered being available was cool, but for now I'm going with the Focus release. I just hope it will run in Windows 7, without any big problems.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #10

It's a disappointing game. Get SH vs Jack the Ripper instead.