You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Monkey Island 3 (Special Edition)?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #1

Default Monkey Island 3 (Special Edition)?

Do you think they'll release a special edition of "Monkey Island 3"? Are there any rumours?
Old 04-14-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
In an evening of July...

I doubt it, and anyway, the original still looks amazing to me, I wouldn't change a thing.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze View Post
I doubt it, and anyway, the original still looks amazing to me, I wouldn't change a thing.
Yes, but the same goes for MI1 and MI2, and that didn't stop Lucasarts.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Yes, but the same goes for MI1 and MI2, and that didn't stop Lucasarts.
Well, what I meant was, it looks good even by today's standards, and it doesn't have the verb-interface the remakes tried to simplify.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:20 PM   #5

Well I believe they do not need to bring out a special edition for Monkey Island 3. It awesome as it is. But what they do need to remaster or redo is Monkey island 4 which in my opinion is very disappointing. The 3D feel just ruins the charm and flare and detail of the originals. oh well I know it will never happen... but wishful thinking.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:10 PM   #6

I think Bill Tiller mentioned on Twitter a while back he spoke with LucasArts last year about it and they said no they won't be doing a special edition of COMI, however COMI may become available again because LucasArts could be one of the 3 companies thats been approached by GOG.com to release their games on their website if you saw the conference yesterday.

I hear rumours its a Maniac Mansion Special Edition they are working on to coincide with the 25th anniversary of the game next year.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:15 PM   #7
She Wants Revenge

I agree MI3 doesn't need a remake at all. The earlier ones were clearly outdated both graphics and UI wise.

I would love to see more remakes from the late 80s and early 90s games though. I'm not horribly picky with graphics but those games are damn old already and it would be especially hard to play one of them without nostalgia, so I probably wont be touching some of the classics I missed back in the day. One of them being that Maniac Mansion. I played DoTT and absolutely loved it but MM's dead ends kept me away. Update I'd love to play.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #8
J.H
Frak.

Apparently, according to Bill Tiller it would look something like this

Click Here for larger version.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
I create. Therefore I am.

Send a message via MSN to jannar85

That screenshot is from Bill's Ghost Pirates game. Heavily inspired by Pourto Pollo.

But I wouldn't mind CMI in HD-quality. It would be nice to preserve such a great classic that way.

Click the name, to join its Facebook Page!

My Games
Old 04-15-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
J.H
Frak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannar85 View Post
That screenshot is from Bill's Ghost Pirates game. Heavily inspired by Pourto Pollo.

But I wouldn't mind CMI in HD-quality. It would be nice to preserve such a great classic that way.
Oh yeah I know that, was just saying because on his blog he said "Image from my game Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island. If I re-did the Curse of Monkey Island SE game it would look as good as this."

http://billisboard.blogspot.com/
Old 04-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #11

I sincerely hope they do not remake this game as there are so many other games I'd rather see them spend the effort on.

For one thing because, as has already been pointed out, this game still has very decent graphics to this day, much more so than older VGA games that do look very pixellated by todays standards (but I still love that look, of course).

Also, while I've always found it a quality game, this is where the Monkey Island series started taking a turn for the worse in my opinion. This is purely a matter of taste, I'm not saying anything else - but for me, this diverted too much from the first two Monkey Island games.
It almost felt like it could have been a different series entirely, only with a common theme.

And while I always found it a quality adventure game, it's still one of the Lucasarts adventure games I think appears somewhere near the bottom of the list when compared to their other adventure games.
Again, I think it's a very good adventure game, but Lucasarts pretty much only made excellent adventure games so in that kind of company, in my opinion it doesn't do all that well.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:42 PM   #12

Although I've immensely enjoyed the SE versions of the first two MI games, COMI is still my favourite MI game. But unlike the first two games, which IMO look horrible in original versions (by today standards), COMI, like first two BS games, still looks pretty decent in comparison with some newer titles. Don't get me wrong; I'm not talking about the style here (which is IMO brilliant), but about technology, that, of course, looks crude when played on the modern devices. Even though I know there are many old-school fans out there, it's kinda difficult to play the game that looks ancient on today's equipment (at least, for me). Therefore, I think that the remastered versions of the game classics are a good thing, if the original style is preserved as much as it can be.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 04-15-2011, 11:39 PM   #13
Life and times of...

I don't care if they remake it or not as long as it's somehow made easily available like the last two or at least GOG-style.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:30 AM   #14
man of low moral fiber

CoMI is one of the best looking games ever. Still is, after all these years...no point remaking it!

It's funny how, back then people thought these graphics were outdated, and everything was 3D, but if you look at games of this era now, CoMI still looks amazing and 3D games look like a bunch of cubes moving around
Old 04-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosswell View Post
I hear rumours its a Maniac Mansion Special Edition they are working on to coincide with the 25th anniversary of the game next year.
Ahhh I hope your right Rosswell that would be awesome to see it updated.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:30 AM   #16

MI1&2 were very dated graphically and lacked voice acting, making them difficult to market to a lot of todays gamers. MI3, while not quite as good gameplay and story, has a better standard of graphics which even now doesn't look too dated and of course was fully voiced
I'd imagine, and hope, that the older and more dated games in their library would get the makeover treatment first
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 04-18-2011, 05:44 AM   #17

Alright. Just a quick example on how HD would look, I ran one screenshot through a vector program, and it kind of gives you an idea what to expect.

We see old Disney animated movies getting a Bluray-makeover, and it has never been this good before. Same goes to CMI. It's backgrounds at 640x400 doesn't really look that good on a huge screen.

Two examples (remember to view them full screen):

As you can see, only the improvement is STUNNING (at least on a 40 inch monitor). And then.. with a directors cut of CMI, with those cut scenes and so on, would be simply amazing.

My Games
Old 04-18-2011, 05:50 AM   #18
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannar85 View Post
Two examples (remember to view them full screen):

Sign me up for the old version.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:01 AM   #19
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Sign me up for the old version.
Exactly. The vectorized version looks exactly that: vectorized. The backgrounds would have to be repainted to go HD, and I for one am not going to play MI3 on a huge screen.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:31 AM   #20

Giving you an idea what to expect, I said. It'll be more like this:
http://images.blu-ray.com/reviews/1145_1_large.jpg

Don't you look on the backgrounds, though!

I play them all on my TV

My Games