You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
Staff Member

Default Gemini Rue Demo

Wadjet Eye Games released the demo for their upcoming game GEMINI RUE today. You can grab it here: http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/geminirue.htm

I beta tested the demo and loved it. Is this on anyone else's radar? Any similar (but modern) games in this vein you recommend?

Jason L Blair
Writer, Designer
www.JasonLBlair.com
Old 02-23-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
Schattenjäger

I havnt played the demo, but it sounds like its in the same vein as games like blade runner, snatcher, policenauts. Also should check out deus ex if you dont mind shooters. Really not modern games... but not exactly ancient either.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:08 PM   #3

I've been waiting for this for a while. It looks superb, and seems to be just the kind of dark and gritty story I like.

Downloading now, thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-24-2011, 02:10 PM   #4

I have pre-ordered I and played for about half an hour.
I can't say much about it yet, except that the story is cool and the game is very straightforward untill now.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:08 PM   #5

I played the demo for 5 minutes and quit. I immediately knew I had to buy this.

It's like I somehow time traveled back to the 80's and was finally playing good old Adventure Games again. Well done.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:28 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to rainking2020

Wow, this game just oozes atmosphere for me. The sound environmental sound effects are ace too like the rain falling etc. Must buy for me
Old 02-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #7
Schattenjäger

yeah im not going to play the demo. But i can just tell this is the kindv game i want to play.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #8
Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainking2020 View Post
Wow, this game just oozes atmosphere for me. The sound environmental sound effects are ace too like the rain falling etc. Must buy for me
Yeah, I completely fell for the atmosphere. The game was immediately evocative which is a rare but special quality.

I downloaded the game this morning and am eager to check it out tonight. Good to see others putting eyes on this game. GEMINI RUE feels like something special to me.

Jason L Blair
Writer, Designer
www.JasonLBlair.com
Old 02-24-2011, 08:39 PM   #9

Looking at the screenshots, style & atmosphere immediately remind me of "Beneath A Steel Sky".
This is a plus.

I am waitig for the first AG member reviews/opinions after completing the game.
If those happen to be positive I´ll get it, definately.

EDIT:
Just discovered the review on the main page
Memento Mori/Heavy Rain-Taxidermist
Replay: ---
Favorite Adventure: Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars
waiting to be played: Sanitarium, Perry Rhodan, Tex Murphy FMV Series

Last edited by Tiocfaidh; 02-24-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #10

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the 40 min demo. I haven't viewed any screenshot before playing, so I was surprised at the super low resolution graphics. But I got used to it fairly quickly, and in no time was immersed in the game universe completely. Sound, music and voice-acting are superb, and I love the story and the style of gameplay. Game just feels so retro, like going back to the early 90s, and reminds me of games like Innocent Until Caught and Sins of the Father...

Top 10 adventure games: Black Dahlia, Grim Fandango, Heavy Rain, Broken Sword Shadow of Templars, Gabriel Knight 2 The Beast Within, Still Life, Last Express, Sanitarium, 7th Guest, Zork Nemesis
Old 02-26-2011, 09:22 AM   #11

In one of the comments on the review someone wanted the creator of the game to use the Wintermute engine instead of AGS. In my opinion the (quality of) the graphics really add to the atmosphere of the game. Perhaps it appeals more to the players among us who have played the older games when they came out.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:45 AM   #12
Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcoatjez View Post
In one of the comments on the review someone wanted the creator of the game to use the Wintermute engine instead of AGS. In my opinion the (quality of) the graphics really add to the atmosphere of the game. Perhaps it appeals more to the players among us who have played the older games when they came out.
Interesting. Part of me is drawn to GEMINI RUE's retro-style out of nostalgia, probably the same as with others, and I think the graphics go a long way toward supporting the atmosphere, creating a peephole into a certain point in the genre's past that I'm curious if newer gamers in general can appreciate.

Anyone who didn't play the older games who can give some viewpoint on this?

Jason L Blair
Writer, Designer
www.JasonLBlair.com
Old 02-26-2011, 03:21 PM   #13

I've finished the demo, and I love it! Great look and story. I found the interface a little cumbersome, but I think I'll get used to it. Looking forward to playing the full game.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:08 AM   #14

just finished the demo....really good investment of time.retro game with 2D graphics and a story out of cyberpunk.......kind of noir-ish story based in a multiple planet setting.

went to buy it and in the site says that the limited edition is just sold for today so anyone who wants it has to hurry.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #15
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlblair View Post
Interesting. Part of me is drawn to GEMINI RUE's retro-style out of nostalgia, probably the same as with others, and I think the graphics go a long way toward supporting the atmosphere, creating a peephole into a certain point in the genre's past that I'm curious if newer gamers in general can appreciate.

Anyone who didn't play the older games who can give some viewpoint on this?
I started playing adventure games late in life, when I was around 40. (Never played anything else before that) And first got acquainted with the URU and Myst games which all had 'modern' graphics. After having found this site in 2006 I learned about and started to play the older games and noticed that graphics didn't matter much for the experience. I love games like The Dig and G.K Sins of the Father, games with great stories and puzzles. In many ways I associate the old-school graphics with high quality. And playing Gemini Rue
Spoiler:
I started today and I'm currently in the room next to
M .Howard's
gives me good vibes. I can only imagine what it's like for those of you who have followed the genre all the way from the beginning.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:21 AM   #16
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlblair View Post
I have been playing adventures since 1986. I don't mind oldfashioned graphics if the game is worth my while, but they're not enhancing the atmosphere for me, unless it's an obviously nostalgic remake of one of the King's Quests for instance. Your post and some comments on the AG review are in fact saying that for many people modern graphics would detract from the experience of playing Gemini Rue. Why? The story, the characters, voiceacting, everything would still be great and have much better graphics to boot. And a less cumbersome interface.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #17
Schättenjager

An outstanding downgrade effort,a medium defying act at best.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #18
J.H
Frak.

This is like Christmas come early for me
Old 02-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Your post and some comments on the AG review are in fact saying that for many people modern graphics would detract from the experience of playing Gemini Rue. Why? The story, the characters, voiceacting, everything would still be great and have much better graphics to boot. And a less cumbersome interface.
For me perhaps it's just the feeling of nostalgia that adds to the atmosphere.
I love playing Chrono Trigger on my SNES, but I can play the latest Final Fantasy on the PS3. The pixelated graphics and the less advanced interface of Chrono Trigger don't bother me then and even make me enjoy the game more.
Perhaps it is because I played those game when I was in school and later college. That was the time when I played the most.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #20
Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Your post and some comments on the AG review are in fact saying that for many people modern graphics would detract from the experience of playing Gemini Rue. Why? The story, the characters, voiceacting, everything would still be great and have much better graphics to boot. And a less cumbersome interface.
Hm. Not sure I agree with that interpretation of my posts but, that aside, I'll offer this, subjective and completely wrong though it may be:

GEMINI RUE seems to present an antiquated view of the future, the cyberpunk view born in the 80s and continued into the 90s. The graphics match that, aligning both the viewpoint of the era with graphics from that era. Nostalgia? Sure, for some. But possibly more than that, too.

Imagine I were to create an animated film about the Woodstock festival that took place in the Summer of 1969. I could do it in a modern, realistic style--utilizing the tips and tricks of this post-Matrix/post-300 world--and that would tell the story one way. Or I could use prominent pop art styles and technical film limitations from the era which would tell the same story an entirely different way, providing two glimpses into the era, one based in story and one based in design. Is one better than the other? Far too subjective a premise to use as the basis for an argument. Does each have its own strengths and weaknesses? Yes.

Do I think modern graphics would detract from GEMINI RUE's gameplay experience? No, I don't think I do. Do I think the retro-style brings something unique (not to be read as "better") to the table? Yeah, maybe it does.

I'm not declaring one true path, just offering a perspective as to why I think the art style of GEMINI RUE--no matter the reason behind it--was an interesting choice and what it adds to the experience.

Jason L Blair
Writer, Designer
www.JasonLBlair.com