You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What was your first adventure game?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #21

My first adventure was on my good old Amiga500. I'm not quite sure which game I played first since I got both games at the same time, but it was either "The secret of Monkey Island" or "The curse of Enchantia". I was only about 8/9 years old and didn't understand any English yet, but both games were just great in my own humble opinion!

Luckily for me, the curse of enchantia worked with picto's instead of written text :-D
Old 02-16-2011, 05:56 PM   #22

Default king's quest 5

King's quest 5! I remember my dad bought the floppy disc version. I loved it! but i also couldnt get past the first town. And also he had larry but we were forbidden to play that!
Old 02-16-2011, 05:59 PM   #23

I played my dad's copy of Mystery House on the Apple II in 1988. The first game I bought on my own was The Secret of Monkey Island the day it came out. I recall it being similar to a certain game I played at a friend's house near the same time, Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders. I was five or six then.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #24

I don't know which one was first, but my brothers and I played some of the Quest games from Sierra in the early 90s.

PQ3, KQ1, & KQ6 are probably the earliest ones I played.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 02-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #25

Bought my first PC in 1993.

I don't know which of these I actually played first, as I had (and still have) a tendency to buy a bunch of games, and then only play one of them right away, and leave the rest for years down the road.

* Alone In The Dark
* Bioforge
* The Seventh Guest
* Myst
* Dream Web

I tried them all, and finished none. However, I did pick up the strategy guide for Myst, and a buddy and I spent many hours during the course of two days trying to power our way through it. We made it over halfway I think. Damn, that game was tough even with a strategy guide. But I'll blame it on the fact that I was young then. Only 34 at the time.

Last edited by Giles Habibula; 02-16-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #26
UnseenUniversity Graduate

First adventure games I played were Murder on the Mississipi, The Kobayashi Maru (sp) and another star trek one on the Commodore 64. I never got far in them, I was only about 6 or 7 (I did finish Mickey's Space Adventure and Winnie The Pooh ). When we got a PC when I was 9, Dad let us get a two games - a three pack containing Leisure Suit Larry 1, Police Quest 1 and Space Quest 1, and The Secret of Monkey Island. Not sure which was played first but I do remember that Monkey Island took the longest to finish...
Old 02-17-2011, 08:33 AM   #27

Broken Sword 2 , than the second monkey island, myst,and so on .
Weird enough on a 120 MHZ pentium ,on Windows 95, 16mb ram which was actually my first PC, and was all I could get!

I started to love the adventure genre and I now play old games and new but despite that I'm still the person that would mostly prefer a nice 2d point and click from the 90's over a high-tech 3d game!
Old 02-17-2011, 09:02 AM   #28

My answer here really depends on what you would classify as an Adventure game.

I first encountered Interactive Fiction as a child, playing Mordon's Quest on my old Amstrad CPC464. I first encountered inventory style gameplay with Codemasters' Dizzy series of games.

The first game that I played that would be classified as an AG by a site such as this was Myst. It took me a fair while after that to explore the genre beyond that series however.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:14 AM   #29

My first Adventure games were a pack I bought which had Monkey Island, Monkey Island 2 and Curse of Monkey Island in it around 1997/8.

Fell in love with Curse and been playing AG's since
Old 02-17-2011, 01:42 PM   #30

Send a message via MSN to Madskull

Amerzone on the ps1.. Way back in 2000. It was one of 5 games that I picked up with the system. The other being Grandia, Dukes of Hazzard, Test drive 5 and ISS pro evolution.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:14 PM   #31

I have fuzzy memories of a text adventure on the Commodore PET circa 1979. It was some kind of house adventure, and I remember building some kind of makeshift parachute at the end of the game so that I could jump safely out a window on the second or third floor.

First semi-graphical adventure was probably Dragonworld on the C64 a few years later.

On the PC, I think it was Space Quest 3. Pod Chow!
Old 02-18-2011, 01:33 AM   #32

My first adventure game was Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards, I think. Followed by The Secret of Monkey Island (and cycling back and forth between a mate's house and mine because I only had one floppy disc to copy it onto), LeChuck's Revenge, Operation Stealth and Lure of the Temptress. It was about then that I realized I was hooked on the genre, and I've been playing adventure games ever since.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:43 AM   #33
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonez View Post
I started off way long ago. I was given a 16k ZX Spectrum for Xmas 1982, and one of the games was Melbourne House's "The Hobbit". The writing was awful, the graphics were terrible and I was thoroughly entranced. I was Bilbo freaking Baggins!!! I was there with Gandalf and Thorin (who did a great deal of nothing apart from sing about gold) and I was fighting goblins, meeting elves and seeking a dragons treasure! Epic stuff to a 9 year old.

Since then the adventure game genre has sucked me in the same way that the Death Star did to the Millenium Falcon; no breaking away!

EDIT: I just found this site: http://www.zxspectrum.net/

It seems to let you play those games of yesteryear such as The Hobbit, Lords of Midnight, Colossal Adventure etc in a flash window. Hope this doesn't break any rules.
The Hobbit was my first adventure game also.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:01 AM   #34

Send a message via MSN to Danny_HR

First adventure, i would say either Full Throttle or The Dig.

It was included in some kind of a game pack, i was a very little boy then so i can't remember clearly.

I know it included some SW games aswell as The Dig and Full Throttle.

Have been a fan of adventure games since.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:24 AM   #35

Text based Spiderman and Eric the viking. . .man.. I am old....
Old 02-18-2011, 03:12 AM   #36
Failed Birthday Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbman View Post
I first encountered Interactive Fiction as a child, playing Mordon's Quest on my old Amstrad CPC464. I first encountered inventory style gameplay with Codemasters' Dizzy series of games.
My first computer was an Amstrad! (CPC 6128 though - 128k of pure power!). Back then I didn't really think about different genres, they were all just games. I think my first "real adventure game" as I think of them now would have been KQ6 when we finally got a PC. That is definitely the game I think of as "getting me into" adventures.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:10 AM   #37

If it counts as an adventure, then Adventure on Atari 2600. My first "real" adventure I think was Twin kingdom valley on the C64. Or The Hobbit, or Knight Orc. Man, it was such a long time ago,,, Now I also feel old
Old 02-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #38

Broken Sword 1, I must have been about 11 years old. No game has stuck with me more and I still go back and play it from time to time. A timeless classic.

I've never been as hyped up for a game than waiting for Broken Sword 2 which was also fantastic.

Next was Monkey Island 3, once I completed that I discovered the classic oldies like BASS, Full Throttle, Flight of the Amazon Queen etc

Cant wait for Broken Sword 5, its going back to 2D as all adventures should be.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:51 PM   #39

Technically, my very first adventure game was Dizzy on ZX Spectrum, but it's not a pure adventure game so it doesn't count. Later, when my dad got himself a PC, I discovered Star Control 2 which blew me away, left a never fading impression (I still play it from time to time, it became some sort of a tradition) and even seriosly affected my school grades , but I still don't consider it the first adventure game I played for the same reason, though it's much closer to the adventure games than Dizzy. I think it wasn't until I played LSL 1 that I became aware of the genre, so I consider LSL1 to be the starting point in my adventure gamer's career. I still remember trying to convince the game that I'm 18. Those were the days...
Old 02-19-2011, 03:18 PM   #40

ah yes the LSL age verification, not sure how accurate it was for verifying age but to anyone ignorant of american culture it didn't matter if you were 14 or 40 (seriously, I asked a few adults on the pretence that it was for school work)
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus