You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gabriel Knight III REDUX!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2011, 06:52 AM   #1
Schättenjager

Default Gabriel Knight III REDUX!

Since Lucas Arts MI remakes is out makes me wonder about Sierra classics and first GK ofcourse.I think since 1999 no one able to write better ag script than GK3.When it released there wasnt any other game like this and still there isnt since back then.
Now consider revamping all visualls with nextgen physics&graphics,full area map 3d modelled,day&nightcycle athmosphere in full effect,most exciting is possible to playreal time action sequances like motorcycle escape scenes,car chase so on.
Beyond that game may offer great director cut material like the Paris beginning of the story..as well as revised ending..

Old 01-03-2011, 07:03 AM   #2
Grue Master

Love the idea of the up to date 3D graphics as that is the reason why I wasn't that fond of 3. Well that and it was so different than the Beast Within. Let us know when you get it finished Gabe and I will be the first to buy a few.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
fov
Rattenmonster

I am replaying GK3 right now and was thinking the same thing last night. It's a shame the game shipped with such primitive artwork and animation (even by 1999 standards). If you haven't read it before, this postmortem by tech lead Scott Bilas gives some interesting perspective into the problems with the production. I think it's interesting that the team working on the game had such a sense of defeat. When you think you're working on a game that's going to fail, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. I'd love to see a Gabriel Knight 3 created by a team who thought it would be a raving success!

Also, I'm not sure how well-known this is, but apparently some of Jane's original design had to be cut because the developers couldn't implement it. This includes a puzzle that was replaced with the infamous cat hair puzzle. (Source.) I'd love to see a GK3 with the original puzzle(s) in place.

I'm sure it's wishful thinking, but hey, we can dream.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
Life and times of...

Ah, yes... At least me and Trepsie started talking about doing GK3 with the Source engine back when HL2 came out. Now of course even it is a bit old, but still...

I've always said that the GK3 interface has a lot of potential and I've always felt that it's by far the most immersifying interface in (at least) adventure games. GK3 used it well, but there is still so much that could be accomplished with it, and I feel that we've missed out on a lot with GK3 being the only game using it.

And of course we've missed so much with GK3 being rushed and so much being cut from the original plans. So yeah, a remake would be unbelievable. Even if it were just a graphical update, I couldn't get enough of it (and "just a graphical update" could theoretically be accomplished as a... what's the word... you know, fan work).

I'm sure the idea of "real-time action sequences" is rather controversial in these forums Jane did originally plan a bat-whacking sequence though (really!) but it had to be cut too.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

To be honest I'm much more interested in the concept of a revamped Gray Matter at this point - it had a great potential to be worth of the classic GKs.

I'm not that obsessed about Gabriel Knight 3 to want a new version, even if it belongs to my favorite adventure game series - I just wish the series itself would continue somehow.

Last edited by Ascovel; 01-04-2011 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #6

As I stated in a thread a LONG time ago. I wanted to redo all the models in GK3 using some tools a guy made. Sadly, the engine wasn't capable of working with the models too well.

Using a modern engine is definitely a better idea, but if such a thing was done, I'd say focus on pre-development as much as possible. One thing fans don't do is work with the post-mortem and figure out what they did wrong. There is no reason to rework something that has always been a problem.

To be honest though, I'd prefer to see a remake of GK1 than GK3.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 01-03-2011, 04:29 PM   #7

It's impossible really... i mean it would need so many resources and manpower. Just take a look at Black Mesa, a fan made Half-Life remake. That is taking almost 6 years with a little army of talented modders.

Gabriel Knight 3 is great, but almost no one is interest in it, so... yeah.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
It's impossible really... i mean it would need so many resources and manpower. Just take a look at Black Mesa, a fan made Half-Life remake. That is taking almost 6 years with a little army of talented modders.

Gabriel Knight 3 is great, but almost no one is interest in it, so... yeah.
If the HD/High Res replacements worked out, then it wouldn't be too hard, but sadly, some of the people lost interest in hacking the engine.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #9

I'd like to play it in 2d point and click.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:55 AM   #10

I would prefer a Gabriel Knight 4 instead of any remakes.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:10 AM   #11
Life and times of...

Well who wouldn't, but in the meanwhile we might as well hypothesize about this too.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:09 AM   #12

There was an interesting fan project which had the goal of replacing all the low-res textures in the game with high resolution textures. From the few screenshots that were released, doing so makes a great difference in the graphical quality of the game.

Sadly, I'm looking at the website now and I see it hasn't been updated in several years, so it doesn't look like this project is going anywhere...
http://sidney.fwheel.net/GK3RP/
Old 01-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #13

I always thought those type of projects are useless on so many levels. You can have a game with higher resolution models and normals maps, but lower resolution textures and still look a billion times better than a HD texture project.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
I've always said that the GK3 interface has a lot of potential and I've always felt that it's by far the most immersifying interface in (at least) adventure games. GK3 used it well, but there is still so much that could be accomplished with it, and I feel that we've missed out on a lot with GK3 being the only game using it.
Yea, I remember at some point early on in the game I started imagining how amazing it would be to have a King's Quest, a Space Quest, a Leisure Suit Larry using that engine. It was going to be like the new AGI. While it might not have been perfect, I think that adventure games have devolved since then rather than trying to build on what GK3 did right.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
I always thought those type of projects are useless on so many levels. You can have a game with higher resolution models and normals maps, but lower resolution textures and still look a billion times better than a HD texture project.
Really? I replayed Gabriel Knight 3 about a year ago, using a method to run the game in widescreen and in high-resolution (1600x900).

The game looked surprisingly good at that resolution, but the one thing that bothered me was the low quality textures.

But that's just my opinion.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustCropper View Post
Really? I replayed Gabriel Knight 3 about a year ago, using a method to run the game in widescreen and in high-resolution (1600x900).

The game looked surprisingly good at that resolution, but the one thing that bothered me was the low quality textures.

But that's just my opinion.
Well you can only have so much texture tiling and fake HD visuals. Why do I say that models are what counts? Because of lighting and shadows. Who cares about the textures. THe lower the poly, the less likely you'll get optimal shading on the models or environment.

With both higher poly models and normal mapping. Things will look a thousand times better than a texture job.

the Morrowind Compendium that was just released is a great example. Sure it has higher resolution textures, but at some point there was a video showing the NPC's, which looked horrible, but with higher quality textures. In the latest video they modified the models, then things started to look great.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #17
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blondebeard View Post
I'd like to play it in 2d point and click.
Ain't that the truth! While a new and improved 3D would be nice to look at, a regression from the horrible 3D modeling in the original would also be pleasing to the eye.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #18

Would going 2d be considered a demake or a remake compared to the original? lol

Old 01-08-2011, 05:01 PM   #19
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

That reminds me that for a long time I wanted to see a spin-off from GK1 with Mosely in the main role and Gabriel as a secondary character.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Would going 2d be considered a demake or a remake compared to the original? lol
I'd love to see it. GK1 was special and much of it had to do with the interface. You can do a lot with the GK3 story if they just reivented the rest of the game a little bit. I couldn't get on board with the camera in GK3 and the look of it just didn't do it for me.