You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Winter/Snow-themed adventure games?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2010, 02:45 AM   #21

There's an ad above this thread about survival horror Cursed Mountain from The Adventure Gamers Shop. Guess it has plenty of snow.

Dead Mountaineer's Hotel is also a snowy game. I won't recommend it though.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:06 AM   #22
Jumping peanut on a stick

It's a casual adventure, but a good one (with lots of snow and nice winter atmosphere)- Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove
Old 12-05-2010, 04:15 AM   #23

I was mainly thinking of games that were predominantly set in snow/ice/winter, but more than happy to hear of those with just a part of them set in the above.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:21 AM   #24
Replicant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irongiant909 View Post
I was mainly thinking of games that were predominantly set in snow/ice/winter, but more than happy to hear of those with just a part of them set in the above.
As someone has mentioned, the brilliant (if technically flawed) Indigo Prophecy/Farenheit is set entirely during a blizzard-stricken winter and has amazing noir-ish ambience. The only problem an adventure gamer may have with that game is that many scenes have timers, which is something I hate although managed to do most timed scenes no problem.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:24 AM   #25

Thanks. I'm with you on timers, I hate them too - I play adventure games to explore, but not to be rushed in my exploration.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:25 AM   #26
Banned User

..that's a weird thread...
Old 12-05-2010, 06:31 AM   #27
Replicant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafsika View Post
..that's a weird thread...
Hmm, I disagree as like the original poster, mood/feel/ambience is the #1 reason I (and probably many others) like adventure games and why I adore games like Indigo Prophecy, Longest Journey, Blade Runner, and Gabriel Knight. A wintery scene can create such amazing ambience too.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:33 AM   #28

And, speaking personally, I find that snow and cold add a LOT to a game's ambience if done right.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:03 AM   #29
Banned User

Yea well Indigo Prophecy is my favorite game ever but I wouldn't just search and play games with only cold and snowy scenary this is stupid criteria...Sure it adds to the whole ambiance but you can't overlook the other factors...Besides a nice atmosphere can be created with many other ways you may not even know or imagine. Each game has its own ,if it doesn't well you can tell with some research.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:10 AM   #30

I think that you need to moderate your tone somewhat.

Did I (or anyone here) say that they were only playing games with cold and snowy scenery? Of course not, and even if they were, then why should you care?

The whole point of this thread is to highlight such games, that's all.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:27 AM   #31

I remember someone mentioning on these forums that a perfect game to play during the winter would be Bracken Tor. I don't think there's snow in it, but the setting of a cornish moorland would probably be more enjoyable when it's cold outside...
Too bad it's not out yet! It's supposed to come out in Q1 2011, and I hope that won't mean March, 'cos that would pretty much be spring rather than winter...
Old 12-05-2010, 08:00 AM   #32

I'm also looking forward to Bracken Tor - let's hope, as you say, that it's out before Spring 2011 (although I'm more than happy to play wintry games in the Summer, and vice versa ).
Old 12-05-2010, 08:05 AM   #33

This one does not belong to the classic AVG genre but if you have a PS3 or know someone who does (if not you can find it on YouTube) take a look at the beginning scene from Uncharted 2... the most thrilling intro ever!!
Old 12-05-2010, 08:21 AM   #34
I create. Therefore I am.

Send a message via MSN to jannar85

Sam & Max: Ice Station Santa also contains a lot of snow.

Click the name, to join its Facebook Page!

My Games
Old 12-05-2010, 10:32 AM   #35

Shadow of Destiny is one of the best wintery adventure games I've ever played. It was originally for PS2, but I think it was recently re-released for PC. The graphics are surprisingly good for an older game. Highly recommended!
Old 12-05-2010, 10:36 AM   #36

Oh, and I too like to play certain games in certain seasons. There is just something neat about the weather in the game mirroring what is outside your window. I actually waited for a rainy/stormy streak this fall to play Heavy Rain, LoL.

Same with TV, too. Always liked watching Lost in the summer, watch Fringe in fall/winter, Whistler in the winter, etc........and I also save shows like Supernatural for Halloween time.

Anyhow, I loved the subject of the thread when I saw it. Keep it going!
Old 12-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #37
Stalker of Britain

Indigo Prophecy was all about the snow...well, at least it was a big part of it, and the atmosphere the snow gave off was the best (snowy) environment in a game, in my opinion.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 12-05-2010, 09:15 PM   #38

I'm glad to see Indigo getting some love here. Although the game was flawed in a lot of ways, (ugh, the stealth was even worse than Dreamfall, although not by much), to me it was one of the most innovative AG's that have come out in a long time.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:18 PM   #39

I immediately thought of the Syberia games...

Top 10 adventure games: Black Dahlia, Grim Fandango, Heavy Rain, Broken Sword Shadow of Templars, Gabriel Knight 2 The Beast Within, Still Life, Last Express, Sanitarium, 7th Guest, Zork Nemesis
Old 12-06-2010, 12:33 AM   #40

It snows in Shenmue near Christmas time, although it's hard to find good snowy screen-shots. Santa even roams the streets!