You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure I "hate" that game!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2011, 05:14 AM   #81

Is it a new trend to hate The Longest Journey? Is it a cool thing nowadays? Its something i see more and more, seems like the ones who like it are the minority nowadays, at least in this forum.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:09 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoecastillo View Post
The absolute worst game I ever played - really disliked so immensely that I couldn't even finish it is Runaway Twist of Fate. I have not a single good thing to say about it - it was torture even trying to finish. Sorry - if you're a fan. The cartoon thing is just so not my thing!
100% with you.

why im confident i will love TLJ
Old 01-17-2011, 07:00 AM   #83
Protégée of Dr. O. Myklos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
Is it a new trend to hate The Longest Journey? Is it a cool thing nowadays? Its something i see more and more, seems like the ones who like it are the minority nowadays, at least in this forum.
I never liked it, but I used to feel like I was the only one. Maybe seeing a sizeable number of folks admit to their Longest Journey hatred is embolding others like me to come out of the wordwork.

Seriously, though.. it's not the worst adventure ever by a long shot (I used to think it was *really* overrated, though.. but if your observation is true, maybe not so much anymore), but I agree really strongly with all the criticisms that cbman (for instance) made.

Last edited by Obscurista; 01-17-2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:29 AM   #84

I thought TLJ was one of the best adventures ever made. However, I tend to read dialogue and click the mouse to skip the voiceovers. I read much faster than they slowly talk and I have no patience for voice acting.

On the other hand Syberia was an absolute trodding bore to me.

Dreamfall, I briefly attempted, but it was utter tripe.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:05 AM   #85
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KasiaD View Post
Lately, the only game I really hated was Gray Matter for those silly "magic tricks". This game made me realize I hate magic tricks A lot.
Gray Matter's magic tricks mechanics were seriously flawed, but how can you say you hate magic tricks in general!? Video games themselves are pretty much elaborate magic tricks meant to make the audience gasp and believe in another reality.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:13 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
You are joking! I never see a bad word written about it here! Hence, my humourously intended diatrabe to address the balance a little.

It's not that bad a game but this is the thread for railing against games we have a particular dislike for isn't it? None of the criticism here can constitute reasonable reviews; I would never judge a game I hadn't played by what I read in a thread like this. It's just a bit of fun.

But yes, there are people who dislike this game and why not? It would be terribly cliquey to chastize them for it.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:32 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimless View Post
I doubt it. The whole thing is clichéd bilge that doesn't even make sense if you pay attention to the way things play out. Good grief, the stereotypical good Indian and stupid cops, the nonsensical errands you have to run if you want to progress in the game (by the time this game came out, you'd think we'd have gotten beyond that), veering between Brave New World and the Brothers Grimm...I have no idea why I forced myself through to the end. TLJ was one game I turned into a frisbee without the first tinge of regret.

They are my absolute biggest pet hate in Lucas Arts clones (ie third-person, 'talkie' adventure games).

Non player character: "Hey there. You must do all of my laundry for me before I will lift a finger to help you save the world and hence my own sorry ass."

Player character: "Sure, that sounds reasonable. Wheare is your laundry?"

NPC: "In those caves over there"

PC: "But how do I get in there? there's a big boulder over the entrance."

NPC: "Just try everything in your inventory on it; that should do the trick"

PC: No problem, I look forward to it"

Last edited by cbman; 01-17-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:03 AM   #88

Well, I for one am still and will always be IN LOVE with TLJ and Dreamfall (in fact I like Dreamfall even more than TLJ).

Yes, Idrisguitar - you will love it!
Old 01-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #89

For the record, I later played Dreamfall as well and would welcome a sequel. I don't HATE TLJ, I just "hate" it. Eh maybe I do hate it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KasiaD View Post
Which is of course what most people love about adventures - lack of action and concentration on the plot (which is revealed by characters interacting).
There's a big difference between "lack of action" as in gameplay that does not require hand-eye coordination, and "lack of action" as in you sit literally watching the screen and not doing a thing for long periods of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthmaul View Post
I thought TLJ was one of the best adventures ever made. However, I tend to read dialogue and click the mouse to skip the voiceovers. I read much faster than they slowly talk and I have no patience for voice acting.
I have a theory that dialogue was more acceptable before talkies. When you're reading you're engaged. In any case, I can't do what you do because it's not what the developers intended. If they write too long, too poorly, and/or use mediocre voice actors, it's going to hurt the game. Gabriel Knight 1 is one game that I love despite some long-ish talking sequences, because the acting is impeccable. Best voiced game I've ever played in any genre up to the present.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:24 PM   #90
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
Gabriel Knight 1 is one game that I love despite some long-ish talking sequences, because the acting is impeccable. Best voiced game I've ever played in any genre up to the present.
How strange to hear you say that. GK was voiced by some great actors, but the voice direction is often weak, and some emotional scenes come across way too cheesy. Besides, the sound quality was awful even for the times the game was released. I did play the CD version through... once, and it was interesting to hear the game voiced, but for fun I always play the floppy version of Gabriel Knight.

GK3 on the other hand is a masterpiece in terms of voice-acting - lots of talking and not a single wrong beat there. Tim Curry is really great in it too, getting the maximum out of Gabriel's more comedic lines.

Last edited by Ascovel; 01-17-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:57 AM   #91

Send a message via MSN to Thesaya

I have others but people reminded me of this:
Simon the Sorcerer 3D.
My expectations were low, I only played it for consistency and thus didn't dislike it nearly as much as I would if I had been hoping for something in the same league as the first two. No, the reason I hate this game is the end. I couldn't get the game to end. Why?
Spoiler:
because I don't have a fucking cd drive on my computer!

Thus NO way to finish the game. Guess they didn't think about amending that when putting the game out there for buying by download. -___-

Last edited by Thesaya; 01-19-2011 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Used the spoiler/hint/hide tag for another forum.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:15 AM   #92

Hi,

I don't know that "hate" is the word for it, but I dislike Beyond Atlantis (released as Atlantis II in Europe) by Dreamcatcher. Not only did it crash on install to Windows XP Service Pack 3(a walkthrough warns that the game will not run on that OS); but once the brief crash righted itself and I was able to see the opening sequence of the character Ten walking up the mountain to the ship, I couldn't go anywhere except between the ship and a short walk outside. Frustrating pixel hunt.

Jim
Old 01-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #93

I'm going to focus on games that I stopped playing, or the ones that were huge disappointments.

Strong Bad - I couldn't bring myself to play the last episode, I found there was just a huge lack of puzzles, and as fun as homestar runner can be in a few minute flash cartoons, I'm not sure if it's great for an adventure game.

Sam and Max Season 3 - It started out good. But with each new episode I slowly started to lose interest. My biggest complaint was the recycling of characters and past story lines. But what tipped the scale was Sybil pregnant with abe lincoln head's baby. I wasn't even that interested in the Syble / Abe relationship in the previous season so this just seemed to drag out an already lame sub-plot. In addition I can see Telltale bring in the abe lincoln head baby in a future episode with the babies from Moai. I'd personally prefer my Sam and Max seasons with a little less crossover from previous seasons.

BTTF Episode 1 - This game was okay. The knocking on the pipe in the soup kitchen cut scene didn't display for me so I was forced running around trying to solve an unsolvable puzzle, and I was extremely confused by the walkthrough. Thankfully I was able to reload the game and have the cutscene appear. Puzzles in this game were pretty much non-existant. And it's a shame that the "hardest" puzzle was trying to figure out why I can't bang on a pipe just because some damn cut scene refused to play.

And just so you don't think I'm hating on telltale (I actually own almost all their games, and look forward to the future games)....

Dreamfall - I really liked TLJ. But Dreamfall.... well my biggest issue was that there was pretty much zero plot resolution, and to top things off there was extremely long cutscenes at the end. Cutscenes are great, but lets keep them to a reasonable length. I chose to play the game, not watch TV.

Those are my "hated" games, but I think what really makes a game "hated" for me is not that it was absolutely terrible, just that it had the potential to be great and had some let downs.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #94
Krill Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbman View Post
I have to echo the ridicule being heaped upon the lamentable Still Life 2. Taking money off people for a game like that is akin to mugging them. You wanna play test it before you release that guys? Or at least hire a programmer...
Yeah right, I agree..
Old 01-20-2011, 06:52 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post

I have a theory that dialogue was more acceptable before talkies. When you're reading you're engaged. In any case, I can't do what you do because it's not what the developers intended. If they write too long, too poorly, and/or use mediocre voice actors, it's going to hurt the game. Gabriel Knight 1 is one game that I love despite some long-ish talking sequences, because the acting is impeccable. Best voiced game I've ever played in any genre up to the present.
I think Gabriel (curry) was great but some of the supporting characters were terrible. The best voice acting I've ever heard was George Stobbard and almost every character in the Broken Sword games.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:54 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventor View Post
I'm
Strong Bad - I couldn't bring myself to play the last episode, I found there was just a huge lack of puzzles, and as fun as homestar runner can be in a few minute flash cartoons, I'm not sure if it's great for an adventure game.

I was not a fan of the Strong Bad license in the first place but I purchased the first episode to support the genre. I was so annoyed I couldn't play for more than an hour.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:03 AM   #97

Hi, I am new to the forum. I don't post too much in english forums because writing in english demands a lot of effort to me. But, anyway, this topic convinced me.

I don't really hate the games per se, but I was very disappointed with them.

The Longest Journey - After reading a lot of reviews and best games lists about this game, I tried it about two years ago and I really didn't like it: easy puzzles (the only "difficult" one was the infamous duck puzzle), boring conversations and cliché story and world. It wasn't a bad game, but a very average one (maybe a 3 out of 5 stars in the AG score). Definitly not best material. It's good to see that I'm not the only one that thinks this way.

The Black Mirror - A game with excellent backgrounds and with a story with a very good beginning. It was a problem that the puzzles were too easy. But what really put me in a "hate" mode with this game was the evolution of the story. It was terrible: a lot of holes in the middle and an end impossible to believe.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:02 PM   #98

A game series I currently hate is Telltale's Sam and Max series, and it's because of the voices they gave Sam and Max. They're awful, and badly delivered. David Nowlin's Sam voice is just flat and wooden, while Andrew Chaikin and William Kasten made Max sound screechy and annoying. It's a slap in the face to the two original voice actors of Sam and Max, Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson. I have been trying for a while to get Telltale to redub the series to include those two actors, but the company has yet to listen.

I feel like I may be in the minority here, what with all the people on this forum who actually prefer the new voices, but I feel I needed to get that off my chest.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #99

-I think that the reason why most of us think that everyone was fanatic of Sam & Max is beacuse this page in particular gave Tell Tale always great reviews. Plus, we all want to support them; but I believe that actually the best games that they've done are Wallace and Grommit (that's for kids). BTTF seemed good to me beacuse I wasn't expecting much; but Tales of Monkey Island seem bad since I was expecting way more, and after some time I thought it was going to get better but it didn't. It's good, but mediocre. I think this company is giving some life to this genre, but it still owes too much. Clearly, I loved them more than I hate them.
Plus, after the first episode of S&M last season I just thought that my time was worth more than that and didn't get the others.

-About TLJ and GKIII, thing is that I like them both. GK had a very interesting plot and ending, and it used a lot of the 3D in an interesting way, with puzzles about following someone, and that kind of real-time stuff. I understand people finding that it was overated but I thought that it had shown an interesting direction for the genre (that has to evolve in some way to real-time 3D).
TLJ had very good puzzles and scenes in one of the most dry time for graphic adventures (were decent point and click was impossible to find). This game shown that 3d graphics and old adventures could be combained very good. About it beign cliché, well, let me just say that it was kind of the point of the game. Remember that in the plot the fantasy world (with most of men creations) was in trouble, and so the sci-fi world. They had to be cliché.

-I don't like this kind of game, I think someone called them "box-puzzle games". So, the Myst -and I guess for what you say the 7th guest- are in my hate list. I wouldn't hate them if they were better defined as a separate genre, but this kind of game have been mixed with the others, so if a game has a lot of this, I very much consider it as a dissapointment and hate it. I'm playing Overseers now and although I love the story, now that I'm close to the end, I've found that almost all the puzzles in the game were of this kind. I hate it, not beacuse I think that this games shouldn't be made or anything, but rather beacuse they should've told me in some way that this was going to be the case. They should label it in some way for the people that don't like this kind of thing.

Broken Sword 3 and 4 In my opinion were really crap; most of it were this puzzles of moving boxes or jumping through balconies, I just felt it boring; plus the stories were really stupid and in some parts were just a remake of GkIII.

Mixed emotions:
Syberia had also a lot of great things, and I understand the hype of some people. The phone-calls thing, and the art was very good; but those long-long -oh god, sooooo long walks, and those machin making devices. But this game has to me as much gold as it has crap.
Sherlock Holmes and Jack the Ripper "Hey, go to the other part of town and give this to this guy". You did it, and that was it. What the f*ck! Everything I did liked about this game had nothing to do with graphic adventures, like the way in wich they made you re-live the murders and the deductive part. It was interesting in that way; but this game was just bad in most parts and the point-and-click adventure was really really low, it seemed to be made by a kid.

-I've never played TLJ2 or Runaway since for everything I hear they don't seem to be my kind of game. And I'm almost sure I would find them annoying as I did found Hollywood Monsters

-For what I do hate, for all the good reasons, there is JACK ORLANDO!; that's the only one I really hate (if you consider the Myst kind of a different genre, or a sub-genre) Boy, what a piece of crap!!!! Someone said before that most of the inventory litteraly was garbage, but they forgot to mention that you didn't even used non of it, but you grab it non of the least. That game was just annoying.
I hope that if there is ever one kind of priece for the worst adventure ever, this one will get it. Since it's really soooooooo bad that it's almost genius (....not!). The Ed Wood of Adventures.

Last edited by lennon; 01-26-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:58 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
Gray Matter's magic tricks mechanics were seriously flawed, but how can you say you hate magic tricks in general!? Video games themselves are pretty much elaborate magic tricks meant to make the audience gasp and believe in another reality.
Actually, magic tricks and adventures in terms of mechanics are two opposite things. In adventures there is a mystery to be slowly discovered, by a series of logical (mostly) actions.

When a magician performs, at the end I am left with a mystery never to be solved. Besides, real magic is awesome and something to admire, not some magic tricks, right?