You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Best INVENTORY, Macgyver-like puzzle ever...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2010, 08:29 AM   #1

Default Best INVENTORY, Macgyver-like puzzle ever...

So what do you think is the best INVENTORY, Macgyver-like puzzle ever?

To qualify, it must be a physical action that needs to be performed using a physical object. Therefore, no slider puzzles, no Serpent Rouge, no dialog puzzles, no Myst-like puzzles, etc. You get the idea!

We're talking about clever escapes, improvised weapons, gaining entry, diversions, etc.

Last edited by indyjones2131; 11-18-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:00 AM   #2

Hamster puzzle in Day of the Tentacle, Ventriloquism book in Curse of MI or escaping snake and quicksand, Squirrel puzzle in Toonstruck, using Beagle in several occasions in Torin's Passage as well as Spot in The Whispered World... just to name a few.

But it's really a series of actions involved needed to solve the specific puzzle is what i like the most, or even combination of inventory and logic puzzles, something like audio tapes puzzle in Gabriel Knight 2.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

You should try Lost in Time by Coktel Vision (of Gobliiins fame) - it's full of great, complex puzzles of this type.

Last edited by Ascovel; 11-18-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:34 AM   #4
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

The puzzle that comes to mind immediately is the one involving the clothesline/inflatable duck with bandaid/clamp device used by April in The Longest Journey. (It's not the best puzzle in the game, but certainly the wackiest!)

ETA: I just remembered the insane device used to make a cup of tea in Temüjin. It required 13 items! (Tea bag, sugar cubes, teacup, teapot, hot plate, propellor, balloon, rubber ball, scale, lever, a 30-inch rod, toothpicks and glue!!!)

Last edited by Trunkyo; 11-18-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #5

I second Lost in Time - it's a heaven for MacGyver fans. I also remember Woodruff, again from Coktel. Making the appropriate photograph for the recruitment agency was funny as hell, as well as running with tobozon and listening to crazy weather forecasts.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:54 AM   #6

pretty much all of Return to Mysterious Island
Old 11-18-2010, 12:34 PM   #7

Basement puzzle in castle Ace of Spades. In the game Riddle of Master Lu.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:20 PM   #8

I am a MacGyver fan!
*takes note of Lost in Time*

Someone named one of my fav Macgyver-esque puzzles already. The one in the quicksand in CoMI.
As a kid I used to hum the MacGyver theme while solving that puzzle.

I also thought there were some cool MacGyver moments in Grim Fandango.
-Drilling open the lock, fiddling with lock slides, using the scythe afterwards
-Screwing up the tube system with the filled balloons and then using a punched card.
-Using the loadtruck to stop the elevator and open the door.

But the mother of all Macgyverism in GF is escaping on the boat. =D
Old 11-18-2010, 02:21 PM   #9
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaata View Post
Basement puzzle in castle Ace of Spades. In the game Riddle of Master Lu.
Yeah, that was some nasty Macgyver challenge.

The player was even able to combine items in all sorts of wrong ways that led to nowhere.

Last edited by Ascovel; 11-18-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:53 PM   #10

While most adventure games are often MacGyver-esque, Lost in Time as a whole is definitely the best example that I've ever seen. There are many puzzles that involve multiple items being used in MacGyverish ways. I remember the heroine being described at the time as the female MacGyver.

Babel Fish puzzle is decent for that I guess.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:09 PM   #11

The Babelfish puzzle?

[EDIT][Ugh.. haven't noticed the previous post]
Old 11-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #12

Just want to take this opportunity to brag that I didn't think the Babel Fish puzzle was hard at all and don't understand why people think it's the hardest thing ever.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:47 PM   #13

Does the cat hair puzzle in GK3 count?

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 11-18-2010, 10:17 PM   #14

In Black Mirror II we learn how to melt a jail door using rust, aluminium and fire.... It's a very, very Macgyver-like way to escape!

No one can catch Macgyver for too long!
Old 11-19-2010, 08:01 AM   #15

Yes. Riddle of Master Lu and Lost in Time are two of the best ever. Such fond memories... Who made Master Lu and did they make any other adventure games? I have to play that one again.

I've never played Black Mirror II. Does it have a lot of puzzles of this type?

I think my favorite type of puzzle is the escape puzzle. I wish someone would make a whole game of em. Just escape after escape -from locked rooms, to jail cells, to dangerous situations. And NO I'm not talking about those Escape the Room flash games online. lol

Do the Under a Killing Moon games have many inventory puzzles are are they more about the investigation and dialog, etc?

And any more favorites out there?
Old 11-19-2010, 10:05 AM   #16

Quote:
In Black Mirror II we learn how to melt a jail door using rust, aluminium and fire.... It's a very, very Macgyver-like way to escape!
This is actually true and I got my hands on the recipe as a 15 year old kid. Me and some friends planned to burn a whole in a parking pay machine.

Good times....
Old 11-19-2010, 12:26 PM   #17
Tea & Cookie Monster

Gonna have to check out Lost in Time and Woodruff... Where can you get them?
Old 11-19-2010, 01:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyjones2131 View Post
Do the Under a Killing Moon games have many inventory puzzles are are they more about the investigation and dialog, etc?
More the latter, though there are some traditional adventure game puzzles as well. There are also word and number puzzles and I've heard they go over the top with them in the last game, which I haven't played yet.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:52 PM   #19
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyjones2131 View Post
Mainly inventory puzzles. Lots of them. + A good dose of exploration of the 3D locations. There are also some logical puzzles from time to time - disabling security systems etc.

The dialogs are long and twisted with different moods for Tex to say. But they are rarely used for puzzles.