You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gray Matter Reactions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2010, 08:21 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
My first impression of the game is not altogether positive, I'm sorry to say. That contrived intro in the cheap graphic style of the now so popular casuals! And those non-descript descriptions come straight out of the adverage cookie-cutter adventure: "someone must read a lot" and "the fireplace hasn't been used in ages". The Gabriel Knight games grabbed me from the start, this one doesn't. But it's a Jane Jensen game, so I'm waiting for the story to kick in.
I really enjoyed the static cutscenes, but i understand that it might turn people off.

I also understand your point about the descriptions, but trust me it will get better, the first two chapters are easily the worst , too damn slow, but the third one is great. If you enjoyed GK stories, you will like this one. Sometimes it might feel a bit like Gabriel Knight lite, but its very well written. If you're playing it because of the story you WILL NOT be disapointed, i guarantee you that! :p
Old 11-13-2010, 08:45 PM   #82
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

Are there any other online English gaming forums you guys frequent where they are posting reactions to Gray Matter other than this one (and other than DTP's forum?).

Just curious to get as broad of sense of the reactions as possible.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:50 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgar View Post
@jamiehavok

Hannes is just talking bull. The game can't be downloaded yet.
Sorry, you're right. However, it can be ordered as a physical disc from http://www.amazon.de/dtp-entertainme...8457971&sr=8-1 and this one is in English as well, according to http://forum.dtp-entertainment.com/v...?f=120&t=17028.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:53 AM   #84

Quote:
Gray Matter can be legally downloaded at
http://gamerunlimited.gamesplanet.co...r-2194-14.html

Price: 39.95 euros.

My first impression of the game is not altogether positive, I'm sorry to say. That contrived intro in the cheap graphic style of the now so popular casuals! And those non-descript descriptions come straight out of the adverage cookie-cutter adventure: "someone must read a lot" and "the fireplace hasn't been used in ages". The Gabriel Knight games grabbed me from the start, this one doesn't. But it's a Jane Jensen game, so I'm waiting for the story to kick in.
Thanks! Got it, and installed it but haven't tried yet, I prefer playing in the evening lol
Old 11-14-2010, 02:07 AM   #85

Just finished it. Overall I enjoyed it.

+ Nice backgrounds
+ Very good music
+ Nice voice acting for Dr.Styles

- Bad character animation
- Hotspots were a menace
- Cutscenes weren't my style
- I didn't like Samantha both as character as well as voice acting
- Quite slow in the first chapters

As for the story, I didn't enjoy it nor hated it. Typical and predictable.

I rate it 4/5. Not the best game of the millenium, not even of the decade. Syberia was much superior.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:24 AM   #86

Ok, I couldn't wait, I just started the game. .. Just a little preview, before really getting into it. Seems nice, the cut-scene in the beginning was a bit of a let-down but it's just a different style, not a major issue. I kinda like it. Not surprised that they didn't have a budget for proper cut-scenes. The atmosphere is very Vampyre Story vs. Gabriel Knight, and to add more to the comparison, the hot-spot reveal and foyer are very similar too (minus the bad jokes). I like it so far, and it's kinda what I expected; not a big budget, high-tech game but neither a cheap cartoon-like adventure.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:22 AM   #87
The Quiet One

Quote:

Whew! I think that's quite pricey even in GBP, especially for an adventure game! Granted, the 360 version will cost £29.99 and the PC version £24.99, but they're somewhat cheaper (mainly the PC version). I would like to play now, but I don't wanna be buying this one and then the official PC copy with a box, CD, manual etc. at a later date.

I'm just gonna wait it out until the official release.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour

Last edited by DustyShinigami; 11-14-2010 at 05:37 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:29 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
Whew! I think that's quite pricey even in GBP, especially for an adventure game! Granted, the 360 version will cost £29.99 and the PC version £24.99, but they're somewhat cheaper (mainly the PC version). I would like to play now, but I don't wanna be buying this one and then the official PC copy with a box, CD, manual etc. at a later date.

I'm just gonna wait it out until the official release.
The Secret Files 2 was the same price at gamersgate and I was furious at them asking so much, when the SPECIAL EDITION version was 10 euros CHEAPER in my local game store. I never got either, nor do I plan to. I enjoyed the first one, though.

It's ridiculous how they market digital download as cheaper and faster way to get your game, when the reality is this; you get the game cheaper and with extra stuff for less money by buying it from a game store, and not as a digital download. This goes for all digital sellers.

However, Jane Jensen... 40 euros anytime.

Last edited by Hannes; 11-14-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:20 AM   #89

well i've been an adventure player since Hitchhiker's guide, and I am more or less brutal towards most advnetures, but that only comes about because of waiting for real gems to surface, of which unfortunately few do.

Up to Chapter 4, and here's my thoughts :

graphically, it was a bit of a shock I must say, it felt somewhat more like a budget release, but as a Jane Jenson game you must of course give it a chance. And really, the graphics aren't that bad -- the story is strong, and that is absolutely what counts most. I don't understand this "slow pace" whinge people have going on, it runs at a perfect pace in my opinion. The story so far is just great, you just have to keep playing to find out what happens next and it really gets you in its grip. The soundtrack is repetative but the sound effects are excellent, top notch. No doubt the best adventure game in years, already, and 77 is in my opinion brutal, and really just plain stupid. Its a 90 minimum game at this point already, absolute quality storyline and to say the Longest Journey is better by score is in my opinion deeply insulting. But then again its just one, very uneducated, reviewer.

At this point it gets 90/100 from me and it is a resounding success thusfar and absolutely worthy of purchase.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:03 AM   #90

Iam at the end of chapter 1.
I like tha game overally, but what I dislike is the graphical style that reminds me many of these "casual" games that I dont appreciate at all. I was expecting from Jensen to diversify her game from all these mindless games and also from all the bad point and click games that are just made to sell some copies.

Of course the story seems interesting but the aesthetics and the bacground grpahics are so similar.. And the same for some comments of Samantha when examining the environment.
Gabriel knight 2 and 3 (i haven't played the first one) had something really special and archetype, that this game seems to dont have. Im in the beggining of the game, so I wish to make a mistake.

The budget seems low and Im really sad that these days the big budgets go to first person shooters only. The adventure genre is an outsider today, with the exception of Heavy Rain, one of the best games I ever played.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:07 AM   #91

Quote:

awesome thanks, downloading extremely slowly now. like 500kb a second when my line can usually do 1mb but oh well, it'll be ready in 3 hours!
Old 11-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
They have my money, i want to play right now. It's pretty straightforward.
While those who post to this forum will of course pay for the game when they get the chance, this thread still reveals the ease and frequency of piracy.

Paying for Gray Matter amounts to a donation; one that you have already chosen to make. I will happily make the same donation, once the game becomes available in the US through legitimate and convenient means. I've waited years; a couple more months won't kill me.

Kolzig has read between the lines, and understands that for every Roper Klacks and Nachtmusick who are willing to offer a donation, there are dozens of "customers" who are already playing Gray Matter and will feel no obligation to pay anybody for anything.

If the tiny and dedicated Adventure Gamers community is pirating the game, despite their demonstrated willingness to pay a fair price, what does that say about the prospects for deriving fair compensation from the larger market?
Old 11-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #93

the larger market will pirate this game, and they will do it because they had never thought to, and were never going to buy it in the first place.

they dont care about what adventure gamers do, in fact this "larger market" has probably never visited a forum like this, nor really know anyone who is still passionate about these games anymore.

i see your point but the fact is its totally off the mark.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #94

Already I can see the negative comments on animation as unjustified. What adventure game even had great animations? From what I see, the animation is better than most.

Again, I feel like I'm the only one that likes everything about this game. From the cutscenes to the main character. Also the graphics are absolutely gorgeous. The quality of the models and the use of the latest shader technology makes it so polished. Glad to see the use of softshadows to create a nice transition between 2d and 3d.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 11-14-2010, 04:28 PM   #95

Quote:
Pretty much my thoughts so far. I only just got my copy so I've only had a chance to play literally half an hour, so it's an extremely premature evaluation. That said though, I'm here in these forums rather than playing any more of it. I'm sure once the story starts to flesh out it will draw me in more but so far the game hasn't grabbed me at all.
I know people are defending certain elements of graphics and animations and whatnot, but the point still remains that previous JJ games ahve grabbed me from the very beginning and haven't let go. This one hasn't even come close to giving the same impression.

And those descriptions (so far) as Fien pointed out... bleh. Uninspiring, uninteresting. Like I said though, very early thoughts here. I actually quit on the vague comments. I went outside and she describes a plaque she saw. What plaque? A plaque about what? What the hell are you talking about woman!? (By the way, feel free to point me in the right direction someone, I really don't know what she's talking about!) After the vague descriptions inside the mansion I just had enough by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Already I can see the negative comments on animation as unjustified. What adventure game even had great animations? From what I see, the animation is better than most.
...Also the graphics are absolutely gorgeous. The quality of the models and the use of the latest shader technology makes it so polished. Glad to see the use of softshadows to create a nice transition between 2d and 3d.
Well, first of all there have been plenty of better looking character models, someone pointed out Book of Unwritten tales for instance, or for my more biased opinion, the numerous great 2D games surfacing which do a much more cleaner and professional job. Not trying to start a 2D vs. 3D debate, just pointing out that it's, IMO, getting better results for the AG budgets these days. Moving on...

It's not the be all and end all for these graphical problems, its true, and what someone jumped in to defend (along the lines of the game being a struggle to get made), it's a fair point to make. I would prefer the game as is then no game at all for sure! But that still doesn't mean that, as the die hard adventure fans, we can scrutinize what we love to play, especially from a developer/designer we love so much. We just wanted it to be perfect! Not too much to ask

With all that ranting said and done, I just hope I have the will to keep going with it. Seems hard to get the motivation to be honest, but as I said before I know the story is in there, so, I'll push on...

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 11-14-2010, 04:34 PM   #96

Ah, now that I'm finally playing Gray Matter, I have serious doubts about the future of JJ games. It's not poor marketing, high price or pirating that really matters. The game simply has very low production value.

The engine by Wizarbox is bad. It was bad in So Blonde, it's still bad in Gray Matter. Long loading times, irritating hotspots, painful pathfinding - that's something a polished game shouldn't have. And as far as animation goes...

We saw rotoscoping, FMV and even realtime 3D. That was in 90th. It's XXI century now, and the best they came up with is the "black screen" magic? I understand everything, but they could at least add some comics in between.

Of course, I can live with it as long as the writing will remain as good as it is. As well as other fans of Jane. But for many other gamers it will ruin the fun for sure. It even ruins some fun for me now. From now on I'll try to concentrate on the story, writing, puzzles, something that only Janes' holy hands touched.

Jane Jensen is too good for this game.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #97
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughly View Post
I actually quit on the vague comments. I went outside and she describes a plaque she saw. What plaque? A plaque about what? What the hell are you talking about woman!? (By the way, feel free to point me in the right direction someone, I really don't know what she's talking about!) After the vague descriptions inside the mansion I just had enough by then.
I played this bit a few times, and I got stuck there every single time. You have to literally click on everything in order to progress. This is worst, really. Totally inexcusable.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:20 PM   #98
Strategy Guide Author

Kinda shocked to see the "engine" called bad or slow. I've played all recent adventures on the same computer and Gray Matter is easily one of the quickest.

You must be doing something wrong.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:21 PM   #99
Senior *female* member

Sughly, you really need to look at the damned plaque or you'll walk around forever. It's a trigger for the next "event". I haven't played enough of the game to know if kuze is right, but I'm stuck in Oxford and I really hope I won't have to look at everything again to find one little thing I missed. Too boring for words. I'm currently replaying two other games and I'll get back to Gray Matter when I have finished them.

About the plaque near the door. I noticed the plaque in the intro looks different than the one in broad daylight. The same words, arranged differently. Strange... but not in a good or interesting way.

PS: I shouldn't have worried about the long loading times, there are none. At least not for me. In fact, they are so short that there's no time to read the messages on the in-between screen. I realize I already have a lot of nits to pick with GM and maybe that's not fair, but what on earth is the idea behind those idiotic messages? I don't want to read something about bonus points or turning subtitles on and off, because that's unimmersive as hell. And I don't want the game to produce the name of every object I look at. I can SEE it's a portrait, a chair, a table. If there's anything in the manual about turning this superfluous "service" off I haven't found it.

Last edited by Fien; 11-14-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:57 PM   #100

Quote:
I realize I already have a lot of nits to pick with GM and maybe that's not fair, but what on earth is the idea behind those idiotic messages? I don't want to read something about bonus points or turning subtitles on and off, because that's unimmersive as hell. And I don't want the game to produce the name of every object I look at. I can SEE it's a portrait, a chair, a table. If there's anything in the manual about turning this superfluous "service" off I haven't found it.
Come on... you're just being unfair now. If you're going with that kind of spirit i think its better to stop playing right now, because you will hate A LOT of tiny little things along the game. Keep an open mind, this is not a perfect game, it has some serious technical problems, try to accept them if you are even thinking about finishing the game.