You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure games that you have

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2010, 06:02 AM   #1

Default Adventure games that you have

Hello,my name is Dimitris and I'm from Greece.I'm a new member here and well I have to say that I started playing adventure games relatively recently(2 years ago)although I've always respected the genre since I was a kid.

So...the only experience I had was many many years ago while watching and helping a friend play Phantasmagoria II A Puzzle Of Flesh(it was his game so I just watched him play and I had a walkthrough guide from a magazine so I helped him sometimes).

Anyway,about 2 years ago I bought my first adventure game,Lost Crown A Ghost Hunting Adventure and I really enjoyed it although I was kind of angry with the difficulty of some puzzles.Haven't finished it yet.

But lately I've bought a lot of other games most of them second hand or from magazines and my collection is getting bigger.So here's what I have so far:

Lost Crown a ghost hunting adventure
Jack Keane
Black Mirror
Scratches
Ghost in the sheet
Broken Sword 1
Broken Sword 2
Broken Sword 3
Experience 112
Darkness Within 1
Tunguska

So...what do you guys say,are these games good enough for a start?And which adventure games do you have?
Old 11-08-2010, 08:11 AM   #2

Out of those, i've played Broken Sword games, Jack Keane and Tunguska. Broken Sword 1 and 2 are classics, great games, third is not bad too. Jack Keane is similar to Ankh series, and is one of the better comic adventures in past couple of years (look for Ceville too). Tunguska is a classic mystery adventure with decent story. The company behind it is responsible for Lost Horizon too, as well as Secret Files 2, but i think the original Tunguska is still somewhat more challenging in terms of the puzzles.

By the way, you've got me there for a moment - there was a countryman of yours with the same name - Dimitris Manos, who ran adventure online magazine, so i thought you're him for a second
Old 11-08-2010, 09:16 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to Sandman

Lost Crown
Black Mirror
Black Mirror 2
Scratches
Broken Sword 1
Broken Sword 2
Darkness Within 1
Alter Ego
Lost Horizon
Old 11-08-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
The 'Mighty Dragon'

The Longest Journey,
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey,
The free Gog.com titles,
Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - Director's Cut,
Sam & Max: Night of the Raving Dead

I think that's it :p
Old 11-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
Out of those, i've played Broken Sword games, Jack Keane and Tunguska. Broken Sword 1 and 2 are classics, great games, third is not bad too. Jack Keane is similar to Ankh series, and is one of the better comic adventures in past couple of years (look for Ceville too). Tunguska is a classic mystery adventure with decent story. The company behind it is responsible for Lost Horizon too, as well as Secret Files 2, but i think the original Tunguska is still somewhat more challenging in terms of the puzzles.

By the way, you've got me there for a moment - there was a countryman of yours with the same name - Dimitris Manos, who ran adventure online magazine, so i thought you're him for a second
Haha Diego,no I'm not him.Actually I feel honored to get to talk to guys like you with lots of experience in Adventure games because I feel like a "noob" since I've only started playing such games recently.I did finish Jack Keane,I love it(look at the avatar :p)and although I'm generally not so much patient with solving puzzles and breaking my head to figure out riddles and solutions when it comes to adventure games I'm always willing to try a new story.
Definetely interested in Dreamfall:The Longest Journey,I wasn't sure that was an adventure game.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
The 'Mighty Dragon'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foinikas View Post
Definetely interested in Dreamfall:The Longest Journey,I wasn't sure that was an adventure game.
It's slightly more actiony than TLJ, but for the most part it's adventure.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #7

Dreamfall is a good game in it's own terms - and i would call it more of a interactive movie, like i would Fahreinheit for example, too. The story is the most important element in them.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:22 AM   #8
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foinikas View Post
... I feel honored to get to talk to guys like you with lots of experience in Adventure games because I feel like a "noob" since I've only started playing such games recently.
There's no need to feel like a noob, Dimitris: many of us haven't played some classics. Diego here, for instance, didn't play Discworld Noir and THAT is a shame .

My first recommendation from your list (and I'm not a quite experienced adventurer) would be Black Mirror and then Scratches (Director's Cut, preferably).

BTW, welcome to the WWoA (Wonderful World of Adventures), neighbo(u)r.

Last edited by zobraks; 11-09-2010 at 02:28 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post
There's no need to feel like a noob, Dimitris: many of us haven't played some classics. Diego here, for instance, didn't play Discworld Noir and THAT is a shame .

My first recommendation (as a not quite so experienced adventurer) from your list would be Black Mirror and then Scratches (Director's Cut, preferably).

BTW, welcome to the WWoA (Wonderful World of Adventures) neighbo(u)r.
I already started Black Mirror...although I get a bit frustrated at the very slow moves by the main character but it looks like a very good game.Before that I did install Scratches I found it very interesting and very atmospheric but I uninstalled it because I decided to play it later.I have to tell you that the first person view kind of confused me.But it does look like a good game.
I love those horror games.

By the way I have Dreamfall,although I can't find the DVD right now,it was in a magazine that I bought.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:35 AM   #10
Senior Passer-by

Take your time, play as many adventures as you can, frequent adventure game forums, read reviews (avoid GameSpot and such places) and you'll eventually see what kinds of adventure games (they differ a lot in themes, views, graphics, interface and stuff) agree with you.

Here are some of the places you must visit:

http://www.justadventure.com/
http://www.justadventure.com/thejave...x_castle.shtml
http://mysterymanor.net/index.htm
http://www.metzomagic.com/home.php
http://www.adventurepoint.co.uk/
http://tap-repeatedly.com/review_index.shtml
http://www.adventure-archiv.com/
http://www.adventure-treff.de/
http://www.mrbillsadventureland.com/
http://www.adventureclassicgaming.com/

Last edited by zobraks; 11-09-2010 at 02:42 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:16 AM   #11

Thanx!

By the way I found the DVD of Dreamfall.

Yeah I guess this is the best place for adventure games that I found on the net so far.It's awesome.And I'm glad I found it although sometimes I disagree with some reviews but hey,we can't always agree on everything,in the end it's a matter of taste.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #12

I've played all those games except Jack Keane and Black Mirror, and I never finished Broken Sword 3 or The Experience (I think that's the same game as Experience 112 if I'm not mistaken)

I think out of that bunch, the Broken Sword games are the best. I also recommend tracking down the old LucasArts titles if you can find them. They're the best of the best.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #13

Actually I hope that the new version of Monkey Island 2 comes out on DVD soon.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #14

physically "have"?
King's Quest 6 and 7
Leisure suit Larry 7
Space Quest 6 (x2, I bought it as a standalone, and again had it when I bought "Sierra's Quest Series - Volume One", which i only bought to get KQ7)
Full Throttle
Monkey Island 1,2,3
Fable (1996)
Gabriel Knight 3
The Neverhood (apparently it's rare, which makes me all the more proud that i bought it when it came out )
The Dig
Little Big Adventure 1, 2
Myst
Return to Zork
Simon The Sorcerer 1
Lighthouse TDB
Phantasmagoria 2
Quest For Glory 4 (tho i never actually played it)

and that's all, I think.
edit: oh, and Grim Fandango ^^'

Last edited by mataku; 11-11-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #15
Ace Attorney

Send a message via AIM to shezcrafti

The majority of my adventure games are in digital format these days, but I do have a closet full (literally) of physical games for PC and most US console systems in boxes, storage crates, cd binders...etc. Here's what I was able to get my hands on from ~2 mins of digging:

PC:

Sega CD & NES:

If I spent more time going through stuff who knows what I could find!
Old 11-10-2010, 07:30 PM   #16
Ace Attorney

Send a message via AIM to shezcrafti

Would love to see pics of your games too, btw!
Old 11-11-2010, 01:08 AM   #17
The 'Mighty Dragon'

Blackstone Chronicles!
Old 11-11-2010, 02:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by shezcrafti View Post
Would love to see pics of your games too, btw!
Our games? Man that's no problem but you seem like a museum of Adventure Games Collection!

Seriously well done,just by seeing all those retro packages and console games was very nice.It brought back memories.

But if you're interested in seeing my humble collection as well then it's ok.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:34 AM   #19
Senior Passer-by

Show me yours and I'll show you mine?

I thought this was about giving Foinikas advice what adventure game to play from his collection, not just another "Who's got a bigger penis?" topic you can see at almost every forum. I want to believe people who frequent Adventure Gamers are immune to childish bragging.

BTW, I have a larger collection than any of you! Nyah-nyah!
Old 11-11-2010, 02:57 AM   #20
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post

Show me yours and I'll show you mine?

I thought this was about giving Foinikas advice what adventure game to play from his collection, not just another "Who's got a bigger penis?" topic you can see at almost every forum. I want to believe people who frequent Adventure Gamers are immune to childish bragging.
In all the years that I frequent AG I have only once posted a pic of my games. But I'm definitely not above a little childish bragging, oh no. I currently own 269 retail games + 20 download ones. All of them adventures. All of them paid for. Not counting the long list of adventures I played and then sold, traded or gave away. *

http://img262.imageshack.us/i/dsc00527ad.jpg/

http://yfrog.com/g4dsc00527aj

I also have a couple of posters and memorabilia which I treasure. Postcards of the Neverhood and Obsidian. Monkey Island coasters. A small metal "plaque", the size of a business card, in honor of the 5th anniversary party of Infocom.

Quote:
BTW, I have a larger collection than any of you! Nyah-nyah!
Yeah? Prove it!

*And not counting the burnt copies of extremely rare ancient games I could not get my hands on legally.

Last edited by Fien; 11-12-2010 at 02:30 AM.