You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Broken Sword - Director's Cut for PC

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
The Quiet One

Default Broken Sword - Director's Cut for PC

It's possible the game will be released for PC either at some point this week or next week. 'The Joe' from the Revolution forums found this.

Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 08-24-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
3rd person fanatic :)

That would be interesting
Old 08-24-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
Welsh Dude

Good news.

A lot of dialogue was sadly cut from the original DC versions. So were the death scenes. I've heard they've re-added them now for the PC version.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:12 AM   #4

Great news!

I was hoping for this ever since I heard for the director's cut.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:06 PM   #5

The death scenes were in the original PC version, dunno about any new death scenes as I've only played the Wii version of the DC.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:30 AM   #6

The death scenes weren't in the iPhone version either, also blood was taken out such as in the cutscene when Fitzgerald gets run down by the ferrari in Ireland. He doesn't have a bloody nose in the DC.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:09 AM   #7

Its out now

http://www.dotemu.com/en/download-ga...-directors-cut

http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-BSSTD...-directors-cut

Haven't seen it on GOG or Steam yet.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:26 AM   #8
Failed Birthday Elf

That's interesting. If anyone has got this yet are those funny looking character portraits in the screenshots in Rosswell's first link in the PC version?

I haven't got this yet as I don't have a DS or Wii and will definitely check in for PC but I just don't know why they would put those portraits in. i.e. I hope this is not a port of the "Nintendo version" rather than an enhanced PC version.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:40 AM   #9
The Quiet One

I have it downloaded and installed from GamersGate. To answer your question: yes, the portraits are in the PC version.

Two criticisms I have already:

1. Considering the game runs at 1024x768 pixels, the graphics - but mainly the character sprites - look a bit rough and blurry.
2. This is a bloody 2D game, and yet it seems by default the game only runs at 20-25FPS.

Apart from that, I'm glad it's now out on PC and I can't wait to get stuck in.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 08-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #10

I might buy it (only if it gets on steam), i think i lost my original copy, at least i don't know were is it.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:50 PM   #11
Super Moderator

It's at The Adventure Shop too.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #12

Picked this up from Adventure Shop today. I agree that the resolution is a bit blurry when playing in fullscreen mode. The resolution is a bit better when playing in Augmented or Original, however it is much smaller so I guess it comes down to personal preference.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
Two criticisms I have already:

1. Considering the game runs at 1024x768 pixels, the graphics - but mainly the character sprites - look a bit rough and blurry.
2. This is a bloody 2D game, and yet it seems by default the game only runs at 20-25FPS.
They probably used the Wii version's sprites, which were touched up to look good at 640x400. They were never going to redo all their assets at 1024x768, although I know they do have high-res versions of at least some of the backgrounds.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:56 AM   #14

I remember how dissapointed I was when the DC version of Broken Sword was initially released without the PC version. Now I don't know how to feel; I'll probably buy it, but judging from the complaints from other posters, I doubt that it's going to bring a new shine to this classic, like SE versions brought to the "Monkey Island".
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 08-28-2010, 06:36 AM   #15

I enjoyed the DC on the DS but not enough to go out and buy it again on PC, even if the new content is fully voiced
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 08-31-2010, 04:59 AM   #16

It's currently on sale on Impulse along with other games.

http://impulsedriven.com/brokensworddc

Only $6.32.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:57 PM   #17

Steam version is now up;

http://store.steampowered.com/app/57640/
Old 09-04-2010, 01:50 PM   #18

Playing the game right now, and it's very disappointing. I don't like the added Nico gameplay, it feels out of place. Graphics in the added segments looks very nice but not in tune with the original segments. The new character portraits during dialogue look ugly and amateurish and many have wrong details (eg. character on screen has a red bow-tie, and the portrait has a green one, then there are mismatched clothing, hairstyle, hair color.....). Graphics during telephone conversations are missing in this version, and are replaced by those small ugly portraits. And the sound quality (dialogue especially) is all over the place. Also I might be wrong on this, but seems to me many hotspots in the original game are gone, so fewer hotspots means gameplay is simplified, and it feels easier. And add on to that, the hotspots are highlighted automatically, it feels like I'm following a step by step walkthrough. So to those who are thinking about getting this downgrade version, DON'T... Just stick with the original and play it again...

Top 10 adventure games: Black Dahlia, Grim Fandango, Heavy Rain, Broken Sword Shadow of Templars, Gabriel Knight 2 The Beast Within, Still Life, Last Express, Sanitarium, 7th Guest, Zork Nemesis
Old 09-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther10 View Post
The new character portraits during dialogue look ugly and amateurish...
I must admit, Dave Gibbons' comic book style worked a lot better in Beneath a Steel Sky: Remastered. I've talked about this before, but there's a serious clash of styles between the new portraits and the old backgrounds in the Director's Cut. However, I still appreciated having a close-up view of the character's faces. It made conversations more intimate and engaging.

As for the discrepancy between new and old assets, surely that's to be expected from the Director's Cut of a 14 year old game? For a $10 game, I find it hard to hold it against them.

I agree that they should have put back the hot-spots they removed from the Wii & DS releases, though, if they are indeed missing.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:00 AM   #20
HA! HA! HA!

I played it through, and I didn't mind the new character closeup art at all.

The biggest issues I had with it were the audio and video quality differences. Obviously the new story part has all new audio, but all the original story related audio seems kind of all over the place. Same with the old up-scaled videos in comparison to any of the new stuff. The different styles didn't really bother me that much, even though it was very evident.
Oh yes, and the somewhat blurry sprites. I ended up playing it on my tv because of its lower resolution.

It's been so long since I played the original that I wouldn't know anything about missing hotspots.

I kind of wish they'd make remake of the second one as well, but not like this. It's fine for $10 I guess, but I'd be willing to pay more if I'd get a proper HD remake of it.