You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #1

Default Good thrillers?

I came here because ever since playing maniac mansion I've had a fondness for point and click adventure games. Grim Fandango was one of my favorites as well. Unfortunately, adventure games aren't publicized like a lot of other genres and there is a wealth of games out there I'm not familiar with. In the last couple years I've tried to get back into the genre playing some Hotel Dusk, Broken Sword, Still life, Obscure, and Dracula: Origins. Of these, my definite favorite was Still Life, and I just bought the sequel. My favorite thing about it was how it set a dark and foreboding mood. The seedy environments and creepy murder mystery was excellent. There were also plenty of times where you could just chill and relax. I love the scene where Agent McPherson is talking about getting in the hot tub with a shot of vodka and a glass of wine, and you end up just making cookies. That was really fun to me and perfect break in the atmosphere to help you connect and relate to a normal character.

Once I'm done with SL2, I wanted to look for some other adventure games in the same vein. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 08-17-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
Sik

Since you listed Grim Fandango and Still Life as favorites, I'm guessing you like story driven adventure games with a focus on character development. In that case, I'd recommend The Longest Journey and Dreamfall. While not personal favorites of mine, you could also have a look at Syberia, and Syberia II. Of course you may already have played all of these... and I would not really say they are thrillers, but they are the first that came to mind when I read your preferences.

Last edited by Sik; 08-17-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:47 PM   #3

Overclocked: It is just as tense and dark as Still Life but with a much better developed(and imo more interesting) main character. I could aso strongly recommend the Sherlock Holmes series by fragwares

Sherlock Holmes: The Case Secret of the Silver Earring
Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened
Sherlock Holmes vs Arsene Lupin/Nemesis
Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper

Also if you're in for a brainless clichéd fun ride you might wanna give the Art of Murder series a try

Art of Murder: FBI Confidential
Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer
Art of Murder: Cards of Destiny

If you're looking for more Broken Sword style games I hinghly recommend the Secret Files series

Secret Files: Tunguska
Secret Files 2: Puritas Cordis

I can also recommend Secrets of Atlantis and Chronicles of Mystery: The Tree of Life

Of the indies I higly recommend the Ben Jordan series (from case 3 onwards)

Case 3: The Sorceress of Smailholm
Case 4: Horror at Number 50
Case 5: Land of the Rising Dead
Case 6: Scourge of the Sea People
Case 7: The Cardinal Sins

And the blackwell series

The Blackwell Legacy
Blackwell Unbound
The Blackwell Convergence

And you've probably allready played them but I'd never forgive myself if I didn't recommend these
The Last Express
Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within(heard it's good haven't played it yet)
Gabriel Knight: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned

That's all I can come up with for now

Last edited by gray pierce; 08-17-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:58 PM   #4

Though some may not agree, I think that "Black Mirror", "Black Mirror 2" and "Alter Ego" have many thriller elements, even though they are often classified as horrors. Dark and creepy atmosphere is one of the key factors in each of these games. Also, they revolve about murder mysteries and incorporate lot of the detective work, so I would definitely recommend all three to the topic starter.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 08-23-2010, 05:41 PM   #5

How are these Ben Jordan games I keep hearing about? I am a gamer that plays 65% for story. Do these game deliver in that department?
Old 08-24-2010, 03:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origami View Post
How are these Ben Jordan games I keep hearing about? I am a gamer that plays 65% for story. Do these game deliver in that department?
From case 3 onwards: yes, very much
Visually they're not all that interesting and they're not voiced till Case 7 but I found them a lot of fun to play and often very rewarding.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:13 AM   #7
Sensei

I saw Beneath a Steel Sky hailed for story on here recently, and I'd agree. It's got a great story line, and I'd definately call it a good thriller. The game begins with mysteries surrounding the main character. The game is quite light hearted until those questions begin to get answered, and from then on I'd say the thriller element really kicks in. Maybe you have heard of it, but if you haven't played it, certainly give it a go.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:45 AM   #8
3rd person fanatic :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by terhardp View Post
Though some may not agree, I think that "Black Mirror", "Black Mirror 2" and "Alter Ego" have many thriller elements, even though they are often classified as horrors. Dark and creepy atmosphere is one of the key factors in each of these games. Also, they revolve about murder mysteries and incorporate lot of the detective work, so I would definitely recommend all three to the topic starter.
Recomendations from here also. All three are good and solid games.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:16 PM   #9

Owh here are two games that you might enjoy and I haven't seen mentioned yet:

"Sherlock Holmes and the case of the serrated scalpel"
That game has one of the best atmospheres with rich detailed environments.

"Sherlock Holmes and the case of the Rose Tattoo"
Haven't played that one yet myself, but heard it was very good.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #10

I forgot to mention these ones, but some great thrillers are the Ben Yahtzee Croshaw games.
5 days a stranger
7 days a skeptic
Trilby's notes
6 days a sacrifice.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #11
Codger

Going back more than a few years, I would have to recommend Post Mortem and Black Dahlia as being in the same "thriller" category as Still Life.

Would also consider Amber, providing you can find a machine that will play it. (There are some Quick-Time issues.)
Old 09-05-2010, 05:57 PM   #12
Schattenjaeger wannabe

It sounds like you're really new to adventure games, so I'm going to recommend the best of the best, assuming there's a good chance you haven't played them yet. (I also loved Maniac Mansion and Grim Fandango btw)

The Gabriel Knight series - every game in the series is significantly better than every other adventure game ever made IMO. The best story, great characters, brilliant writing. They're my favorite games in any genre, and they definitely meet what you're looking for in terms of creepy mysteries.

Full Throttle - an extremely fun, albeit short, thrill ride that's perfect for beginners

the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney series - real fun. Not exactly thrillers as there's a lot of comedy in them, but they are murder mysteries.

The Longest Journey - one of the best stories in adventure games. A bit slow at times, but more than worth it.

Day of the Tentacle - not a thriller at all, but you mentioned Maniac Mansion and this is its sequel. It's a bit overrated in my opinion, but still a great game.

I also agree with the recommendations on Overclocked, the Last Express, and the Blackwell series. Very atmospheric games.

But I'd stay away from Art of Murder: FBI Confidential. I thought that game was really poorly made, and had absolutely no atmosphere to speak of. (kind of like Dracula Origins, but worse)