You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure LucasArts possibly making new adventure games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #1

Default LucasArts possibly making new adventure games

LucasArts possibly making new adventure games

From: http://kotaku.com/5549234/monkey-isl...from-lucasarts

Some quotes:

Quote:
"We've always been in the action AND adventure game," Derrick responded. "It just seems that we've been emphasizing one over the other lately. The Special Editions and Tales of Monkey Island have been a way to measure the audience's reaction to us doing more straight adventure games and to see how the audience reacts to Monkey Island so many years after the first and last game in the series. It's been pretty successful so far."
Quote:
But don't expect a new pure, point-and click adventure title from the company any time soon.
"But if we were to truly get back into the "adventure" business then I would say we need to take some of what we've learned from the "action" side of the business a little bit, look at today's audience sensibilities and reinvent the genre just as we did with Maniac Mansion 23 years ago."
This is exciting and the departure from point and click (thank god) makes it sound that their games will be modern in graphics, controls & UI, should they choose to make AGs again.

Their AGs were really good, with an innovative UI, engine and superb graphics for their time. I hope they will bring the spirit of those games to the modern gaming era, of course revamping everything to today’s standards.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #2

F yeah!
Old 05-27-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
...and reinvent the genre just as WE did with Maniac Mansion 23 years ago."
"WE" meaning "people of whom no one has worked at LucasArts in the past 10 years"?

There's nothing left of the old LucasArts in LucasArts except the IPs. If the new team wants to reinvent the genre, their ambition doesn't mean to me anything more than of some random studio I know nothing about.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:26 PM   #4

^Agreed
Old 05-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I sadly second Ascovel's feelings.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 05-27-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
Fulci lives

Lucasarts should start by un-canceling Sam and Max: Freelance Police.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
"WE" meaning "people of whom no one has worked at LucasArts in the past 10 years"?

There's nothing left of the old LucasArts in LucasArts except the IPs. If the new team wants to reinvent the genre, their ambition doesn't mean to me anything more than of some random studio I know nothing about.
Not necessarily, LucasArts has allot more funds than a random studio and also has much more expertise in making games than a random studio. They can get good writers, artists & programmers.

Also, the old guys were affiliated with Monkey SE remake and if their contribution turns out to be necessary, LucasArts can always pay them.

Should they choose to do so, LucasArts creating new AGs could really revive the genre.

Of course this is all partly hypothetical, no games have been announced, no art has leaked and no information on which team(s) will be doing it is available, just an interview at kotaku.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:42 PM   #8

Quote:
But don't expect a new pure, point-and click adventure title from the company any time soon.
hopefully it's not another game like Lucidity, it looks good but i'm not really fond of the gameplay
Old 05-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #9

It goes without saying that I and many others would love anything adventuresome that LucasArts would care to do (but I'll say it anyway.)
Old 05-28-2010, 02:04 AM   #10

Well, I'd love it if any developer chose to produce adventures in the future. LucasArts sure has a long tradition in our beloved genre, one that they neglected for quite some time, so it would be a good sign if they started developing adventures or adventure-y games again, games with emphasis on non-violent problem solving, story, characters and exploration.

But yeah, I'm not terribly excited about it either. I don't know what great talent is still left at LucasArts. There may be quite a lot of adventure fans there, but all LucasArts did in the past years were action games. So they still have to prove their talent with adventures.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:19 AM   #11
J.H
Frak.

I read this article yesterday and sadly came to the same conclusion as most. I very much doubt we'll see any original adventure games from Lucas Arts again.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:59 AM   #12
Roman5

I don't think it matters tbh. Lucas Arts jumpstarted adventure games with great classics. But now there are scores and scores of games, some good, some bad, most of which are technically streets ahead of where Lucas Arts left off. About the only thing missing from todays games is the humour Lucas Arts had. Their scripts were funny. Most of todays scripts are poor.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:18 AM   #13
Citizen of Bizarro World

This could work, especially if LA mines some of its franchises. A new Monkey Island produced with the kind of budget they have at their disposal would shit all over ToMi. The same talent is no longer there, but I'd bet the company's populated by rabid fans of the classics. Still, MI's probably not the way to go, for fear of oversaturation at this point. Bringing back Full Throttle, on the other hand.. Or, Indy could get back to his roots.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 05-28-2010, 07:25 AM   #14

please, I'm trying to pretend they made no Indy games after Atlantis and no movies after Last Crusade
a Full Throttle sequel would be nice, or maybe a sequel to one of the classics like Loom or Zak McKraken, but to be honest I'd really like to see them try something new. sequels are all well and good, but without the writers of the originals on board it's less likely to work out well
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 05-28-2010, 08:02 AM   #15

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

Im sick of companies thinking they can reinvent the wheel, it never turns out good.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:20 AM   #16
Life and times of...

Quite.

However, what makes me somewhat excited about this is that it might actually mean a change for more bigger budget games. Even if they don't have the same people as they used to, that budget should still mean that they get people who know their trade well enough to make high quality. Even if the games are not that wondertabulous in the end, at least it's a change to the always-so-low budgets Unless of course they dump it to some corner-cubicle development team...
Old 05-28-2010, 02:00 PM   #17

Sorry, double post
Old 05-28-2010, 02:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by imisssunwell View Post
Not necessarily, LucasArts has allot more funds than a random studio and also has much more expertise in making games than a random studio. They can get good writers, artists & programmers.

Also, the old guys were affiliated with Monkey SE remake and if their contribution turns out to be necessary, LucasArts can always pay them.

Should they choose to do so, LucasArts creating new AGs could really revive the genre.

Of course this is all partly hypothetical, no games have been announced, no art has leaked and no information on which team(s) will be doing it is available, just an interview at kotaku.
Why do you care either way? I thought you hated adventure games?
Old 05-28-2010, 02:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Why do you care either way? I thought you hated adventure games?
Not quite, Dreamfall, Fahrenheit were rather cool. I expect AGs to have the same level of craft that exists in other genres these days, eg. RPGs & Action games. AGs used to have top graphics, competent developer teams and were trying to embrace new technologies.

Unfortunately not the same standards apply to the majority of recent AGs. Companies like LucasArts are exactly the type of company which can revive the genre and bring it in line with modern standards. I’m all for AGs that are on par with e.g. Dreamfall in story, graphics, world design, voice acting, music etc.

Lucas has the potential to create such games, I hope they actually deliver something unique but only time can tell.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by imisssunwell View Post
Unfortunately not the same standards apply to the majority of recent AGs.
I would say when it comes to standards, storytelling is at a low across all games (with the exclusion of a few titles here and there). Sorry to go briefly off topic - couldn't help myself

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance