You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure LucasArts possibly making new adventure games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2010, 02:45 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by So There View Post
Truth to be told, I don't give a two-bit-rat's-pieces-of-nut-crucking-sheesh-kebab-shiny-polished-skewers if Lucas Arts intends to make adventure games, or not. Like there isn't enough of adventure making companies out there already. Companies seriously devoted to quality, and not only to ciphers on annual budget reports... Or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post
No, there are not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
I think it was sarcasm
Actually, it wasn't.

I understand all of you guys - Lucas Arts was the company that introduced so many innovative ideas into the genre, and it will remain forever in my heart, too, together with all the other nostalgic memories from my childhood.

But the company we talk about here does not exist any more.

Perhaps I am wrong at this, but... there ARE some other companies, as well as individuals, who keep that loom-o-monkey-islandish-full-throttloid spirit alive (Keregioz, feel free to quote me on this with yet another "No, there are not" ). And if we are not able to enjoy their work, it only means that we turned into grumpy 30-something years old grey-beards, forever enclosed within our own good-ol' war stories, remembering the times when the grass was green, the girls were pretty, and Monkey Island was THE ultimate adventure of all times.

On the other hand, my nephew thinks that Telltales' Sam and Max is WAY funnier than the old one... and who knows - he may even be right (I must admit that I share his opinion, despite the fact that the NEW series has somewhat UGLIER graphics.)

And please, before anything else - let us not complain about the lack of adventuring titles. Have a look at the driving simulations, or real-time strategy games - those are being published at an even more scarce rate, and their fans are not so inclined to bitching all the time as we (the adventurers) are. Adventures are not, nor will they be nowhere near in the future, dead.

In conclusion - adventure genre does NOT depend on a single company. If Lucas Arts' publishing politics has changed, well, fu ck them. I say we don't need them.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:29 PM   #42

Quote:
Actually, it wasn't.

I understand all of you guys - Lucas Arts was the company that introduced so many innovative ideas into the genre, and it will remain forever in my heart, too, together with all the other nostalgic memories from my childhood.

But the company we talk about here does not exist any more.

Perhaps I am wrong at this, but... there ARE some other companies, as well as individuals, who keep that loom-o-monkey-islandish-full-throttloid spirit alive (Keregioz, feel free to quote me on this with yet another "No, there are not" ). And if we are not able to enjoy their work, it only means that we turned into grumpy 30-something years old grey-beards, forever enclosed within our own good-ol' war stories, remembering the times when the grass was green, the girls were pretty, and Monkey Island was THE ultimate adventure of all times.

On the other hand, my nephew thinks that Telltales' Sam and Max is WAY funnier than the old one... and who knows - he may even be right (I must admit that I share his opinion, despite the fact that the NEW series has somewhat UGLIER graphics.)

And please, before anything else - let us not complain about the lack of adventuring titles. Have a look at the driving simulations, or real-time strategy games - those are being published at an even more scarce rate, and their fans are not so inclined to bitching all the time as we (the adventurers) are. Adventures are not, nor will they be nowhere near in the future, dead.

In conclusion - adventure genre does NOT depend on a single company. If Lucas Arts' publishing politics has changed, well, fu ck them. I say we don't need them.
what he said.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #43

I'm not holding my breath until they reveal whether this is based on an existing IP or a brand new one. It worries me that a large part of the success of the Monkey Island remake could be attributed to the nostalgia factor. I'd hate to see them playing it safe with a reboot of some old franchise - or worse yet, another bloody Star Wars game.

Apart from the LucasArts IP's already taken care of by Telltale, the only titles I could see some potential in reviving would be Full Throttle and possibly Zak McKracken, if David Fox was still involved that is. But I'd much rather have them try something totally different - like they did with Grim Fandango and Outlaws.

I'm not sure whether they even have a decent in-house development team any more. Most of their quality titles in recent years, like Knights of the Old Republic and the Lego games, were developed externally, whereas their in-house PS3/Xbox360 versions of the latest Indy game ended up being canceled.

Still, they know marketing and have plenty of money, so maybe LA would be better off sticking to publishing and throwing some of that phat cash at their former colleagues over at Telltale and letting them do what their good at.

Edit: As for "not point-n-click", awesome, provided they find an alternative that doesn't consist of quick-time-events or pushing crates around.

Last edited by GarageGothic; 06-22-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:29 PM   #44

Boy, a Full Throttle or Grim fandango would be great.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:15 PM   #45

Quote:
Perhaps I am wrong at this, but... there ARE some other companies, as well as individuals, who keep that loom-o-monkey-islandish-full-throttloid spirit alive
Now, that's not what you said earlier... Before you suggested that there are enough great adventure game companies out there and there's no real need for another.

Personally I'm not complaining about the lack of adventure game titles but about the lack of quality in the majority of them.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:13 AM   #46

you can never have too many good adventure games. even if there's too many to play now, just means there'll be some to go back to the next time there's a dry spell
as for Lucas, even if they make bad adventure games it's a big company returning to a genre many have dismissed for dead, maybe, just maybe it'll cause some of those to rethink that stance. who knows, we could even see Sierra granting the licenses for new Kings Quest, Gabriel Knight, etc games if they can pull their heads out of their arses long enough to see that there's a demand for them
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 06-23-2010, 12:54 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post
Personally I'm not complaining about the lack of adventure game titles but about the lack of quality in the majority of them.
Amen to that. I, of course, am hoping for something good of them, but I expect nothing of note.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:06 AM   #48

Breathe being held.