You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Oldest game you haven't finished yet?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #41

How about this one!
"Labyrinth" - 1986
Back then I came close to finishing it but never did.
So I am trying my hardest... it's old and tedious and hasn't the best control system but I am giving it ago.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
DOSBox is your friend.
Does it work with DosBox on Vista? I still have the original CD, and I remember not being able to get it working with some program of the sort. Maybe I'll try again.

Also, the Manhunter games, Conquests of Camelot, and The Last Express.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:17 AM   #43

Send a message via AIM to Gledster Send a message via MSN to Gledster Send a message via Yahoo to Gledster

Cruise for a Corpse. I was hopeless at it as a kid and despite liking the idea of it, never went back to finish it.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottford View Post
Does it work with DosBox on Vista? I still have the original CD, and I remember not being able to get it working with some program of the sort. Maybe I'll try again.
It definitely works with DOSBox. If you try getting it to work and run into problems, just post in the Tech support forum, and I'm sure someone will be able to help.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gledster View Post
Cruise for a Corpse. I was hopeless at it as a kid and despite liking the idea of it, never went back to finish it.
Yeah I remember that game.... I think I was on the same boat as you
(no pun intended...HA!). I was not very good at it but enjoyed trying to play it.
It was one of the first decent games released by Delphine Software in 1991.
Of course It was soon forgotten when Another World & Flashback came out but I would still like to give it a go... might be able to finish this time round.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #46

Oldest would have to be most of the games from Lost Treasures of Infocom (I've beaten about 4 of the batch of 20+). I'm just going to use walkthroughs for most of them, might attempt a couple without one.

Graphical there is Quest for Glory 1 (on the collection I've owned for 12 years and hardly played) and Police Quest 2 (also have owned the collection for 12 years or so).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonB View Post
For me it is Woodruff and the Schnibble. I have barely started it and find it hard to make myself play it. I know I shouldn't waste my time on a game that I really don't want to play, but I've had this game since it first came out and I am determined to play it through. After some other games...
Haha, I own this as well. It seems too random to try to waste time with without a walkthrough, but maybe I will someday. I did try it with a walkthrough in like 1998, but eventually got tripped up somehow and never finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
Tex Murphy: Overseer as well. I'm inside that... bunker? Under this desert-like-place? You have to watch a video where you see this guy, who'd been murdered, activate some kind of code when these alarms go off. You have to listen to the sounds that play so you can input the code as well.

I tried quite a few times but never got it. After that, I ended up leaving the game for a bit, which has now turned into 'quite a long time'.
I literally just played that part last night. I have a good brain for sound, so I was able to get that code right away after only watching the video once.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:04 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weare6 View Post
Yeah I remember that game.... I think I was on the same boat as you
(no pun intended...HA!). I was not very good at it but enjoyed trying to play it.
It was one of the first decent games released by Delphine Software in 1991.
Of course It was soon forgotten when Another World & Flashback came out but I would still like to give it a go... might be able to finish this time round.
Yes, same here with Cruise! I remember there being some insanely difficult puzzle...
Old 01-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #48
Roman5

I still haven't finished keepsake. But I really want to. I keep getting distracted by other games though.

I did however finish dracula path of the dragon a couple of weeks ago where my first save game was august 2009, and I also just finished Nostradamus, where I'd left it since 2008. I've also got Darkfall the journal, where my save game is dated april 2007, but can't really see myself getting stuck into that game any time soon if ever.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:26 PM   #49

The oldest adventure game I gave up on was Infocom's ultra-challenging Spellbreaker. I believe it was the last Infocom game I even played, back in 1985.

More recently, I tried my hand at The Black Cauldron, and got pretty far before I got fed up with being repeatedly killed and abandoned it. Maybe one day I'll revisit it and finish it, because I actually liked most of the game quite a bit.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #50
Schattenjäger

would have to be loom for me. I enjoyed the game, but i got distracted and bored with it. I should probably give it another try sometime.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #51
Protégée of Dr. O. Myklos

Too many to list!

The original Alone in the Dark and Sierra's Inca II (the action bits of both were too much for me).

Hrmm... There were a few really awful ones I didn't play for more than a couple hours before abandoning (Nightlong, 7 Games of the Soul, Temujin, others I'm forgetting right now).

Believe it or not, I never finished the Longest Journey; totally hated it.

Finally, I'm another non-Keepsake-finisher.. there were aspects I loved (Zac as the wolf, the 'gentle' nature of the story, the mystery aspect), but I got tired of the endless, non-plot-related 'puzzle box'-type puzzles.. I felt like I was playing a less-interesting Seventh Guest, or maybe even a late Myst clone.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:02 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoecastillo View Post
I also bought Dark Fall The Journal a long time ago - I played Lights Out and Lost Souls - enjoyed both of those - but I was new to the genre when I started The Journal and like Amerzone got stuck early and just stopped. I'll take advice again - should I give it another whirl?
I think you should definitely give it a chance. I've tried to play it after I've played "The Lost Crown", but I couldn't force myself to look at it, as it does look rather bad on nowdays PC monitors. But, I've finally installed it couple of days ago and finished it yesterday. I must say that I'm glad that I've once more passed "don't judge the book by its covers" test, which was also the case with TLC. I remember, that when I saw grey skies / blue grass, following by Nigel's duck-walk, I said to myself: nah, it seems I'll skip this one. But when I've started to play the game, I've learned an important lesson, which importance I've confirmed again by playing "Dark Fall: The Journal".

A few words about the game itself. Now that I've finished it, I can concure with the reviews which emphasizes the "labour of love" factor when talking about DF: TJ. You can definitely feel this when playing the game. Like all Boakes games so far, it shines the most when it comes to story and atmosphere, but it also features a lot of interesting and well-thought puzzless. Technically, this game is certainly ruff for today's standards, but this don't affect it's artistic value.

All in all, I think that I will now finally finish "Dark Fall: Light's Out" too.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 01-13-2011, 09:10 AM   #53
Stalker of Britain

It would probably be the Tex Murphy games, or "Mean Streets"...since I haven't gotten past that one. I just didn't know how to control the transportation, and it just seemed overwhelming at the time.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 01-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
It would probably be the Tex Murphy games, or "Mean Streets"...since I haven't gotten past that one. I just didn't know how to control the transportation, and it just seemed overwhelming at the time.
I had that problem as well when I first tried Mean Streets. It turns out to be pretty easy because I believe you can just set the coordinates and put it on auto-pilot and sit and wait while it drives for you. It's a fun game, not as arcane as it seems it would be with that transportation system.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #55
Stalker of Britain

I may have to try it again, since it is a classic. I was just never blown away by what I'd heard of the story, and the phone overwhelmed me. But it was free on GOG, I believe, so I was happy to try it out, at least.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 01-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #56

I keep starting the original Last Half of Darkness game and not getting very far with it. It seems a decent enough game (for the time) but I just keep getting drawn away by other things. A shame really because I also have the modern games on hold until I have played those old originals!
Old 01-15-2011, 11:29 PM   #57

For me it's Tex Murphy 1, which I just cannot get into. I got the bundle from gog.

Do I miss out on anything if I skip to the later games?

"There is currently no reliable method for determining the age of narwhal."
Old 01-15-2011, 11:40 PM   #58

No. The story is re-told (and better told) in Overseer, anyway.

Martian Memorandum, while very dated in both graphics and gameplay design, is probably worth playing, however. You should probably at least give it a try, and then skip to Under a Killing Moon if you find it's really not your thing.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by terhardp View Post
Paradise

I've tried this one after I've played Syberia (the series) and Sinking Island. I was craving for more of Sokal design, which is what I've probably liked the most in the mentioned games. However, I just could't get past the first chapter of Paradise. The story and the dialogs mostly turned me down, but it also doesn't have the atmosphere of his other titles (IMHO).

Paradise is by no means a classic, and certainly doesn't compare with Syberia but I would still recomend giving it another bash and tryign to get past the harem (as long as the poor control systems doesn't drive you completely mad) because that first location is by far the least interesting and atmospheric. The game picks up somewhat after that, in terms of its locations at least. And the cut scenes are gorgeous.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:47 PM   #60

The oldest adventure game by release date that I have but that I haven't completed yet is Colossal Cave Adventure.

The adventure game that I've had the longest that I haven't completed yet is King's Quest VI. I had it on CD when I was little, then I bought it on Steam when the King's Quest pack was on sale. I'm finishing the King's Quest games in order, and I'm on V now, so I should be finally finishing VI soon.