You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What's happening with Edna & Harvey?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2010, 04:35 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADan View Post
Well, maybe subs would be faster, cheaper and better (arguably) but in this special case that would mean that at least ten percent of all of the lines wouldn't be real subtitles as they would have to say something completely different than the original German to get the jokes across. And those are a lot. Many of them linguistic jokes, too. Timing of puns comes to mind as well. So I can understand why a developer (or probably the publisher even more so) would prefer the whole shebang with emotional expression in the language of the targeted audience, with humor that's genuine to that language and with an opportunity to straighten out "mistakes" that have been made in the original
I believe you are in the translation business and you're arguments are valid, but to both subtitles and voice overs. Both need careful and creative translation. However, I think subtitles are certainly cheaper to accomplish. And it is done in films and television shows all the time, so no need to worry about timing for that matter. It can and has been done time and time over. Even in mute adventures - like monkey island - with great success in my opinion.
You are however probably right about the US and UK customer because they are not accustomed to subtitles. But it would be widely accepted in countries where subtitles are more common. Maybe these markets could justify the development of a subtitled version. If successful the translation could be re-used for a full voice over.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:51 AM   #22
overall swell guy

nonax:
"You are however probably right about the US and UK customer because they are not accustomed to subtitles. But it would be widely accepted in countries where subtitles are more common. Maybe these markets could justify the development of a subtitled version. If successful the translation could be re-used for a full voice over."

Fair enough. I can agree with that. But in the case of Edna and Harvey it is still kind of difficult. For me the expression "subtitle" implies that the lines written in the lower part of the screen (or wherever) should say exactly what the actors say. That is just not possible in the game we're discussing here. You would lose ten percent of the jokes.

Of course you still can do it with a "creative translation" as subs but it would still a different thing than traditional subtitles then.

Anyway, as much the gamer wants to get to play the game they are interested in asap ... the decision still lies with the publisher/developer and their partners what they are going for and I suspect they take into consideration all the pros and cons and not only the preferences of a (supposed) minority of gamers.

But, yeah indeed, I can imagine games that are not being dubbed. Should be especially interesting with languages that are somewhat off my realm of experience. Like Polish, Russian or Urdu maybe

Cheers, Dan.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:58 AM   #23
overall swell guy

nonax:
"Even in mute adventures - like monkey island - with great success in my opinion"

Talking about mute adventures: I absolutely love the concept of Samorost and Machinarium. Things like that have no need for translations and translators ... that basically puts me out of business and still: Absolutely marvelous! Those little stick men stories are really something. I definitely want to see more of that. Makes for something like a universal language.
(But of course you can't do any kind of game with this technique).

Cheers, Dan.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:56 AM   #24
overall swell guy

Obviously Daedalic has updated the information on their website concerning the English release:

http://forum.daedalic.de/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=492

Mind you it is not officially announced yet but it seems possible that it'll be finished anywhere between Q4 2010 and Q2 2011.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:01 AM   #25
overall swell guy

I just stumbled upon this:

[ http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edna-Harvey-.../dp/B003Z6QH4Y ]

Although release dates on Amazon are notoriously off by quite a bit it's a good sign that there finally *is* a release date.

Too bad they couldn't make the holiday season ...
Old 09-02-2010, 03:30 AM   #26
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon.co.uk
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout Collectors (PC DVD)
by Mamba Games

This item will be released on February 25, 2011.
Name:  wallbash.gif
Views: 370
Size:  2.0 KB

Name:  thanks.gif
Views: 362
Size:  1.9 KB for the info, ADan.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:25 AM   #27

Cheers, ADan!

2011 is going to be a good year for my PC games collection!
Old 01-12-2011, 01:49 AM   #28
overall swell guy

It seems that the release for the UK (Lace Mamba) has been accelerated to Jan. 21st:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edna-Harvey-.../dp/B003Z6QH4Y

Furthermore I found out that the US release (via Viva Media) will even be earlier on Jan. 18th. That's a week from now!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...&index=blended

I wonder if there'll be a review of the English version on this site soon ...
Old 01-12-2011, 02:29 AM   #29
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
It seems that the release for the UK (Lace Mamba) has been accelerated to Jan. 21st... the US release (via Viva Media) will even be earlier on Jan. 18th. That's a week from now!
Name:  wave.gif
Views: 227
Size:  17.1 KB
Name:  thanks.gif
Views: 231
Size:  1.9 KB for the great news! I can hardly wait to play Edna and Harvey .
Old 01-12-2011, 02:43 AM   #30
The 'Mighty Dragon'

Mine's on pre-order!
Old 01-12-2011, 04:51 AM   #31

Thanks so much ADan, that's excellent news! My mind was drifting off, wondering hazily what new source of gaming stimulant I might possibly be able to find in recent times. I think I just found it.

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 01-12-2011, 05:41 AM   #32
DirectX Developer

Wow, I like this game a lot and the edition is quite beautiful

I'd like to preorder it too, but I can't find anywhere if this game is finally dubbed in English, why is always so hard to find basic info like this?...

Do you know if this game is going to be dubbed in English?, I can't find that info anywere

Thanks
Old 01-12-2011, 09:05 AM   #33
overall swell guy

Hi Zenger,

sorry for the delay. Yes, these versions are fully localized and dubbed. (At least I know for sure they have been translated .

I don't know about the quality of the voice acting, though. That's why I'm in part very interested in a full review. Of course I'm keen on finding out how the translation itself is doing with the critics ...
Old 01-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #34
DirectX Developer

Thank You very much for your answer ADan

Kind regards
Old 01-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #35

any news on english subs over german voices?
Old 01-12-2011, 10:31 AM   #36
overall swell guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idrisguitar View Post
any news on english subs over german voices?
I wouldn't know. But I don't think the German audio is included in the English versions.

Consider this: 28 000 lines of audio (in wav-format?) worth about five to eight hours (or even more) amounts to a lot of data. Plus, there's always the question wether the majority of the targeted audience actually wants that feature (as discussed earlier).

I'm sorry I can't provide any concrete (or positive) information as I'm quite remote from the production process once I've handed in my translation.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:02 PM   #37
Senior *female* member

Quote:
I'm sorry I can't provide any concrete (or positive) information as I'm quite remote from the production process once I've handed in my translation.
Aha, so you were indeed responsible for the translation. Just like I suspected. Steve Ince involved again too?
Old 01-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #38

Hi Guys and Gals.

E+H Collectors will have full English Voice Overs - and without being biased the full Collector's Edition looks really great!

Jason
Lace Mamba Global
Old 01-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #39
Hopeful skeptic

The North American version is actually due on February 8th.

Never, EVER rely on Amazon as a reliable release source.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #40

Hey Jack

Agree, Amazon are usually "slow" at altering dates which is pretty frustrating but....

Well, Amazon.co.uk are spot on, full stock is already sat in our warehouse and the version looks great....... some on their way to you

Jason